• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do Christian Wiccas interpret these bible verses?

Jordan Kurecki

Servant of Jesus Christ
Leviticus 19:31 - Regard not them that have familiar spirits, neither seek after wizards, to be defiled by them: I [am] the LORD your God.

Exodus 22:18 - Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live.

Revelation 21:8 - But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

Galatians 5:20 - Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,

2 Kings 21:6 - And he made his son pass through the fire, and observed times, and used enchantments, and dealt with familiar spirits and wizards: he wrought much wickedness in the sight of the LORD, to provoke [him] to anger.

Deuteronomy Chapter 18
9 When thou art come into the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee, thou shalt not learn to do after the abominations of those nations.

10 There shall not be found among you [any one] that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, [or] that useth divination, [or] an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch,

11 Or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer.

12 For all that do these things [are] an abomination unto the LORD: and because of these abominations the LORD thy God doth drive them out from before thee.

Leviticus 20:27 - A man also or woman that hath a familiar spirit, or that is a wizard, shall surely be put to death: they shall stone them with stones: their blood [shall be] upon them.

Leviticus 20:6 - And the soul that turneth after such as have familiar spirits, and after wizards, to go a whoring after them, I will even set my face against that soul, and will cut him off from among his people.

Galatians 5:20-21 - Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, (Read More...)

Isaiah 19:3 - And the spirit of Egypt shall fail in the midst thereof; and I will destroy the counsel thereof: and they shall seek to the idols, and to the charmers, and to them that have familiar spirits, and to the wizards.

Isaiah 8:19 - And when they shall say unto you, Seek unto them that have familiar spirits, and unto wizards that peep, and that mutter: should not a people seek unto their God? for the living to the dead?

2 Chronicles 33:6 - And he caused his children to pass through the fire in the valley of the son of Hinnom: also he observed times, and used enchantments, and used witchcraft, and dealt with a familiar spirit, and with wizards: he wrought much evil in the sight of the LORD, to provoke him to anger.

2 Kings 23:24 - Moreover the [workers with] familiar spirits, and the wizards, and the images, and the idols, and all the abominations that were spied in the land of Judah and in Jerusalem, did Josiah put away, that he might perform the words of the law which were written in the book that Hilkiah the priest found in the house of the LORD.

1 Samuel 15:23 - For rebellion [is as] the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness [is as] iniquity and idolatry. Because thou hast rejected the word of the LORD, he hath also rejected thee from [being] king.

Acts 19:19 - Many of them also which used curious arts brought their books together, and burned them before all [men]: and they counted the price of them, and found [it] fifty thousand [pieces] of silver.

Acts 8:9 - But there was a certain man, called Simon, which beforetime in the same city used sorcery, and bewitched the people of Samaria, giving out that himself was some great one:

Revelation 22:15 - For without [are] dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.

Acts Chapter 8
9 But there was a certain man, called Simon, which beforetime in the same city used sorcery, and bewitched the people of Samaria, giving out that himself was some great one:

10 To whom they all gave heed, from the least to the greatest, saying, This man is the great power of God.

11 And to him they had regard, because that of long time he had bewitched them with sorceries.

12 But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.

13 Then Simon himself believed also: and when he was baptized, he continued with Philip, and wondered, beholding the miracles and signs which were done.

2 Corinthians 11:14 - And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.

Acts 16:16 - And it came to pass, as we went to prayer, a certain damsel possessed with a spirit of divination met us, which brought her masters much gain by soothsaying:

these are just some

Midnight Rain

I am not a Christian Wicca practitioner and I honestly don't know how they can (as open minded as I attempt to be even) synchronize the two.

The only thing I do know for certain is that people who believe both believe liberally. That the bible may not be the 100% perfect interpretation of the truth. I know several "Christian Witches" who are practitioners of Wicca and don't believe anything in the bible but believe in Jesus's message of love.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
A couple of observations.

First, the importance of translation. Considering the Bible supports use of divination and spellcraft within its pages elsewhere, one must look very carefully at how translations are done for the terms in question. It's quite obvious, for example, that the meaning of the term "witch" within the context of Neopaganism (including Wicca) is not the same as that intended by the translators of the Bible. At the very least, it definitely didn't refer to Wiccans or to contemporary religious Witchcraft, considering neither existed when the Bible was compiled or translated.

Second, the nature of religion. Nobody, not even Christians, take their sacred texts word for word and internalize it piece by piece.; what a person pulls out is up to their particular interpretation. Syncretic religions in particular play by this rule, as aspects of two or more religions are melded to create something entirely different than either religion. I imagine any Christiopagan, Wiccan flavored or otherwise, is going to utterly ignore any supposed condemnations of certain practices for the purpose of their syncretic path.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
How does Wicca and Christian theology mix? I know we can take abstract things like love from Christ and revereing the Earth. What about the concrete things like One God compared to God and Goddess?

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
How does Wicca and Christian theology mix? I know we can take abstract things like love from Christ and revereing the Earth. What about the concrete things like One God compared to God and Goddess?
I was hoping for an answer to your question.

GoodbyeDave

I'm a bit late, but here goes.

Firstly, they can ignore all the OT stuff: St Paul says somewhere that the Jewish law won't help you. Unfortunately, they didn't take his advice and ditch the OT, but no-one paid so much attention to it until they invented Protestantism. Half the time, we aren't too sure what it means. "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live" is a translation based on the Greek version, where the word rendered witch literally means "root-cutter" - it could be used for a poisoner or for an evil magician. We rely on the Greek, because that's the only clue to the Hebrew word.

Secondly, the passages in Acts all seems to relate to the misuse of powers - powers which the early Christians all sought for themselves as gifts of the spirit.

Thirdly, the Christian creed is quite hospitable. It says you have to believe in the trinity, but it doesn't list things you mustn't believe in. "God created heaven and earth, all things visible and invisible" give you a lot of leeway. When the visible includes the platypus and the naked mole rat, who knows what the invisible may include. Africanist churches equate the local gods to Christian angels, and western neopagans can obviously do the same.

Nevertheless, I've seen more Christopagans, as they're called, than Christian Wiccans, but the latter are easily found:
http://christianwicca.org/

Some Christian Wicca Faiths believe in The Abrahamic God as the Father, and The Holy Spirit as the Feminine aspect of God and Goddess Combined as one. I know of a famous English Wiccan High Priestess that use the Arch Angels to call her Quarters during her Circle Casting Ceremony, her voice is Angelic and Spiritual when singing/calling the quarters. I never thought to sing when calling the quarters but she did so with such precision and inspiration.

In regards to Earth, Nature, and the Cosmos, I see everything as a sacred creation worthy to be admired and revered, but my Christian twist in my Wicca ways, acknowledges God as the Supreme source and reason why I should revere all of His creation! I can see Mother Earth, Father Sun, and Sister Moon as Sacred Entities, but it is our God who created them Which makes me respect our God that much more of His Complexity and Beauty!

There are many passages in the bible that talks about Sin, which is a hard concept for a Wiccan to accept, but for me sin is equal to mistake in my reasoning and in my life I have made many mistakes to keep me from advancing to the Spiritual level I need to evolve when it is my time to cross over. I know I will never be able to find Summerland/Heaven on my own, that is why my Spirit Guide, My Lord and Savior Jesus will help me get Home to where I need to be. This was a free gift He offered and all I have to do is call out his name and reach out for his hand to help me find home. In regards to witchcraft there is no way I can get a Christian to understand the complexities of those mostly Mosaic Law passages Pharisees tried to use to condemn and exclude people from coming to God, but I know my intent and why I was put on this Earth so thankfully I have no fear about displeasing God of who I am and why I do the things I do in life. I have faith I am going to make mistakes until the day I die, but I will never leave or desert The God I serve.

Araceli Cianna

All of these bible verses are irrelevant to me - I only focus on the person of Jesus and his actual words. So there is a lot of leeway.

The old testament god could be seen as a demiurge, and all the non-gospel books of the new testament can more easily be summed up as "Paulism". Paul is not Jesus.

That's my take.