• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do Baha'is view Vegetarianism? (I kinda don't know where to put this post)

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
I know that Baha'is believe Buddha and Krishna were both manifestations of God, so I wonder how they view vegetarians and following such a diet- since the adherents of both of these figures (Buddhists and Hindus) believe they taught it is virtuous, according to our scriptures?

Do Baha'is believe being vegetarian is good? Is it virtuous, or preferable? Are there any other teachings about it? Do Baha'is believe non-violence toward sentient beings and concern for their well-being is a good motivation for being vegetarian?

Last edited:

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
The Baha'i scripture describes the ideal diet as Vegetarian, but it is an evolved diet over the millennia, likely not practical for humanity until the technology makes this possible. The there are no specific spiritual laws which define what Baha'is can nor cannot eat.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
Here are some quotes from our Writings on the topic.

It is certain, however, that if a man can live on a purely vegetarian diet and thus avoid killing animals, it would be much preferable."
Shoghi Effendi, quoted in Lights of Guidance: A Baha’i Reference file.

‘Abdu’l-Baha said, "Fruits and grains (will be the foods of the future). The time will come when meat will no longer be eaten. Medical science is only in its infancy, yet it has shown that our natural diet is that which grows out of the ground."
Quoted from Baha’u’llah and the New Era by J.E. Esslemont.

So although becoming a vegetarian is not obligatory, in time meat will no longer be eaten by Baha’is. It is a matter of education, compassion for animals and allowing for time to be weaned away from current traditions and practices.