• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How did you find the ending of Game of thrones? (SPOILER ALERT)

Did you find of the ending of Game of thrones...? Max. 3 votes

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
His character was developed over previous seasons, it’s just that people have short memories. I feel his being on the periphery knowing he would ultimately end up on the throne was a major part of the point. Again, literal subtly over TV flash.

His character was developed until he became the 3 eyed raven then they just had him sit in a chair saying "I'm not really Bran" and "you were just where you needed to be".

You've got some dude who knows everything, who happens to be the beloved brother of 3 of the main characters and is the target of the night king, and nobody really speaks to or about him.

"Hi Sansa, I know everything now but it's made me a bit weird"

"That's nice Bran, now sit in the corner for a bit while the grown ups talk"

I’m certainly not saying it was perfect or that they couldn’t have improved it with some minor changes. I’m just saying I think many of the people complaining are wrong to imagine that it would be easy to make it the amazing conclusion we’d all have liked to have seen and as a piece of complex storytelling, it wasn’t nearly as bad as so many seem to want to believe.

They needed one change: Don't decide to fit multiple series worth of material into 13 episodes because you can't be bothered doing the show any more.

Set up 80% a character arc/plot carefully over 8 years, then botch the last 20% in 5 mins of screen time missing out all of the stuff that makes it meaningful (Jaime, Dany, Jon, Bran, Cersei, Varys, Tyrian, Sandor, Grey Worm, Night King stuff, etc.)

So you got a mediocre final 2 seasons simply because it was impossible to be anything other than mediocre in the completely arbitrary time limit they set for themselves (that no one else wanted, HBO, GRRM, the cast, fans). They ran out of time, long before they ran out of story.

The spectacle was still good, the cinematography, the music, the acting, but they pretty much gave up on the story though and that was their choice, hence the criticism.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
His character was developed until he became the 3 eyed raven then they just had him sit in a chair saying "I'm not really Bran" and "you were just where you needed to be".

You've got some dude who knows everything, who happens to be the beloved brother of 3 of the main characters and is the target of the night king, and nobody really speaks to or about him.

"Hi Sansa, I know everything now but it's made me a bit weird"

"That's nice Bran, now sit in the corner for a bit while the grown ups talk"

They needed one change: Don't decide to fit multiple series worth of material into 13 episodes because you can't be bothered doing the show any more.

Set up 80% a character arc/plot carefully over 8 years, then botch the last 20% in 5 mins of screen time missing out all of the stuff that makes it meaningful (Jaime, Dany, Jon, Bran, Cersei, Varys, Tyrian, Sandor, Grey Worm, Night King stuff, etc.)

So you got a mediocre final 2 seasons simply because it was impossible to be anything other than mediocre in the completely arbitrary time limit they set for themselves (that no one else wanted, HBO, GRRM, the cast, fans). They ran out of time, long before they ran out of story.

The spectacle was still good, the cinematography, the music, the acting, but they pretty much gave up on the story though and that was their choice, hence the criticism.
For mediocre seasons, I really liked them.
That's quality mediocrity!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Do you think they would have been better if they had more time to allow the plots/characters to develop?
I always want great shows to never end.
And they did pack a lot of change into the last episode.
But I agree with Jerry Seinfeld & John Cleese....
Wrap up the show while quality is still high.
Don't keep going until you go downhill.
(Cleese cites SNL as a bad example of that as I recall.)

I suspect that people were disappointed in large part because it was low key for GOT.
People like Star Wars (1977) style endings wherein everything is wrapped up with
celebratory resolution...the soaring music, medals awarded, beloved characters smiling.
GOT did it differently.

I like the peaceful & rational way that Bran became King.
(Unexpected use of reason rather than violence, eh.)
Who is better qualified than one who didn't seek it?
John Snow being banished to the North was bittersweet.
And the Imp unceremoniously became Bran's hand.
Ending the show with the mechanics of a new bureaucracy
just isn't normal....except in the real world. But I liked it in
part because of exactly that.

Last edited:
I always want great shows to never end.
And they did pack a lot of change into the last episode.

Unfortunately, the only 2 people who wanted it to end were the 2 people in charge.

Maybe that's why they had Jon and Dany say:

"What about the other people who think they know what's best?"
"They don't get to decide"

:D

I suspect that people were disappointed in large part because it was low key for GOT.
People like Star Wars (1977) style endings wherein everything is wrapped up with
celebratory resolution...the soaring music, medals awarded, beloved characters smiling.
GOT did it differently.

I like the peaceful & rational way that Bran became King.
(Unexpected use of reason rather than violence, eh.)
Who is better qualified than one who didn't seek it?
John Snow being banished to the North was bittersweet.
And the Imp unceremoniously became Bran's hand.
Ending the show with the mechanics of a new bureaucracy
just isn't normal....except in the real world. But I liked it in
part because of exactly that.

I had no problem with any of the events, just that they were far to shallow in the way they happened.

Thousands of ruthless Dothraki and Unsullied in the mood for war, Jon kills their queen. Drogon flies away with the body. Fast forward a month let's not bother with any details of how they found out, how they reacted, how they felt (except Grey Worm was lightly miffed).

Tormund says nothing to Jon. Bronn is inexplicably in charge of the financial reconstruction of Westeros (after they have broken the wheel of nepotism and corruption). The chap who knows everything doesn't even point out that they could probably do without a master of whispers, or add his tuppence worth to the discussions on how to rebuild the realm or help the people and instead trundles off for a kip seeing as looking for a dragon that's been missing months can't wait until the end of the meeting.

Would actually have liked more of the bureaucracy and mundane aspects.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
If you'd kept up with the series, you might want her dead.
(She became a vicious tyrant.)

But it happened too fast. I'd have liked to see her waver and vacillate between her old idealistic self and the new Cersei-wannabe she was becoming, until her personality finally solidified as the Mad Queen.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
But it happened too fast. I'd have liked to see her waver and vacillate between her old idealistic self and the new Cersei-wannabe she was becoming, until her personality finally solidified as the Mad Queen.
Aye, it was several episodes squeezed into a single one.