• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How did you find Orthodoxy?

No*s

Captain Obvious
For my part, my real introduction to Orthodoxy came via a debate on IRC. Up until that time, I had always considered Orthodoxy exactly like Roman Catholicism...and even considered it evil, which is something the RCC has never received from me. The first Orthodox Christian I met tried to tell me the Holocaust never happened and wrapped it in with the Church. Naturally, the two were rather closely connected in my mind.

I had been gradually moving that way for some time. I'd come to believe the "ideal" ecclessiology would be one of an "overseer" over a city with "elders" serving the people. Government would be concilliar, and thus would problems be dealt with, giving it a bit of semi-autonomy (Ironically, one friend of mine with foresight told me "That's Catholic!" to which I objected "But I don't see how Christ's structure is doomed to failure" and we agreed to disagree).

My professor (again, a Baptist) laid the Foundation for an Orthodox understanding of Heaven and Hell. He asked in class, "If we don't have a deist heaven, how can we have a deist Hell?" He then proceeded to explain both were the presence of God. This was facilitated after a discussion with a friend on a bus over whether "If we hadn't fallen, would Christ have become man anyway?" After which, we all agreed that Christ's work was much more than simply forgiveness, and Gene and I both agreed He would have: Christ's sacrifice did more than enable some forgiveness of sins but enabled us to be changed in some way we didn't have a clue about. Soteriology was, thus, changing rapidly.

Through my own studies, I'd found out about "energies" and rejected Sola Scriptura, the latter spelling certain doom for my being a Baptist. I also was developing a strong principle of "If it isn't historical, it's not right," which caused severe tension with the Baptist faith I had. More and more it became troubling, because so many of the views I held were clearly not part of Early Christianity.

My changes were, thus, gradual. They inevitably moved in this direction, though I could be overly analytical and still am. The only thing that kept me from being a Roman Catholic during this process was that I felt it had innovated quite a bit themselves. I'd come very close several times to choosing it, though.

At this point, I encountered a man on IRC arguing an Orthodox soteriology, and consequently being railed on by the other side, and he wa alone. Being the type of person that I am, I coudln't resist a good argument, so I jumped in on his side and defended his Christianity (he was a pagan according to the room). After the discussion, a Greek Orthodox priest's wife talked a little while and challenged me on the Church. After that, everything fell into place.

That's what has happened (and is still happening) with me in a very small nutshell. How did the other Orthodox Christians on this forum come to the Church?

Scott1

"You must spread some Karma around before giving it to No*s again."
Thanks for sharing your story.... looking forward to reading others....

Scott

No*s

Captain Obvious
SOGFPP said:
"You must spread some Karma around before giving it to No*s again."
Thanks for sharing your story.... looking forward to reading others....

Scott

Aw, thanks. It's a bit brief, but it encapsulates many of the relevant details lol.

Maybe you could start a similar thread in the Roman Catholic forum :).

Matrona

I was (and still am) in college, working with the campus pro-life group, and I knew the pro-life writings of Frederica Mathewes-Green. Knowing that she's also Orthodox, I struck up a conversation with a guy who happened to be president of this campus's OCF chapter. I went to an OCF meeting and became curious about Orthodoxy. Started going to Divine Liturgy... and didn't stop. :) I was received into the Church at Pascha '03 and have never looked back.

No*s

Captain Obvious
Matrona said:
I was (and still am) in college, working with the campus pro-life group, and I knew the pro-life writings of Frederica Mathewes-Green. Knowing that she's also Orthodox, I struck up a conversation with a guy who happened to be president of this campus's OCF chapter. I went to an OCF meeting and became curious about Orthodoxy. Started going to Divine Liturgy... and didn't stop. :) I was received into the Church at Pascha '03 and have never looked back.

Yeah, experiencing the Liturgy can change a lot of things :). It is so beautiful (and I wish I could attend it regularly).

Joannicius

Matrona said:
Neat, We seem to fall hard when love for the Lord and His Church comes into our lives. I had wondered for about 40 years all around the map of Christendom and had become quite frustrated for I couldn't find The Church that had the consistency and foundation that I thought should apply. Especially the scripture "one faith, one Lord, one Baptism" and hadn't found the continuity of the production of Saints until 8 years ago when The Church found me........ thank God for his persistent love and concern for us, never giving up on us, even when we do Him. Like you, after I attended Liturgy and did some study, I never looked back and it truly does get sweeter all the time, even though more difficult. :)

Keep the experiences coming you guys and gals, it's fun to hear them!

Linus7

I was baptized as an infant into the Lutheran Church, but became a Southern Baptist as a teenager. By age 20 I had read the Bible many many times. Doubt caught up with me - that and an oversupply of testosterone - and I fell away, eventually lapsing into agnosticism that often slid into a depressing atheism.

After a few dark years in that state, I began to see that God is real and I was free to repent and believe in Him. A great weight fell from my shoulders. I decided to return to the Lutheran Church, since I considered it the "faith of my fathers."

The study of Church history perplexed me, both because the Church Fathers seemed so "Catholic," and because I could not find anyone who believed the distinctive doctrines of Protestantism - like Sola Scriptura and Sola Fide - before John Wycliffe in the late Middle Ages.

I wondered why - if the Protestants are right - there was such a huge historical gap between the death of the last Apostle (St. John) and the advent of John Wycliffe, during which no writings can be found that teach what Protestants teach.

In 2000 I made a trip to Russia. There, in Moscow, I met an Orthodox priest, Father Aleksandr. The man seemed to glow, and I mean that seriously. I could feel my blood pressure drop when I was in his presence. It was an amazing experience. I would still be hanging out with the guy if I could.

Anyway, the palpable holiness of Father Aleksandr inspired me to check out the Orthodox Church when I got back to the states. The Lord led me to a little Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Church. The priest there, Father Nicholas, was a wonderful man. He and a couple of others took me under their wings and answered my questions. Fr. Nicholas loaned me a wonderful set of videotapes by Fr. David Anderson. Those tapes, and the Orthodox books I was devouring, tied everything together and made sense of the perplexity I had felt when reading Church history.

Attending the Divine Liturgy was also an amazing experience. I will admit it felt kind of foreign at first, even though the Carpatho-Russians do just about everything in English.

Anyway, one Sunday I was standing for the liturgy and began to feel a little ill. I sat down to rest for a few minutes. A feeling of incredible peace came over me. I felt that Jesus was standing behind me with His hand on my shoulder.

I don't know how to adequately describe it, but I felt like I belonged in the Orthodox Church. It just felt like a little foretaste of heaven.

Although it was a subjective experience, I cannot say it did not play a role in my decision to become Orthodox.

To this day, from time to time, I smell incense when I am nowhere near a Church. It makes me wonder if an angel is near (if you think I am silly, that's okay).

Anyway, I was received into the Holy Orthodox Church by chrismation on October 15, 2000.

Joannicius

Great story Linus,

I went to Moskva in 2001 and other places and had some incredible experiences there also. And as most Orthodox here have heard I'm sure............... Welcome Home ! ! !

Your "foretaste of heaven" is a great experience that I'm sure the ambassadors of Prince Vladamir experienced, reporting to the Prince when they returned from the Great St. Sophia in then Constantanople.

Joannicius

I was looking at what I had written, and looking at the title of this thread, I realized:
THAT WAS THE GREAT FINDING OF ORTHODOXY​

Linus7

I have met one other person who seemed to glow like Father Aleksandr. She was an Orthodox nun, Sister Concordia, at the Pokrovsky Monastery in Moscow.

Believe me, people like her and Fr. Aleksandr are exceedingly rare. They don't schmooze - Fr. Aleksandr couldn't even speak English - or try to charm. They just are what they are, and that is holy.

I knew it as soon as I came within about ten feet of them. I could feel peace. Like I said about Fr. Aleksandr, I felt my blood pressure drop.

I've known some really decent, good people in my lifetime, but those two are the only ones I have ever met who actually radiated holiness, peace, and love.

Being around them, even for just a short while, was amazing.

No*s

Captain Obvious
Linus7 said:
I have met one other person who seemed to glow like Father Aleksandr. She was an Orthodox nun, Sister Concordia, at the Pokrovsky Monastery in Moscow.

Believe me, people like her and Fr. Aleksandr are exceedingly rare. They don't schmooze - Fr. Aleksandr couldn't even speak English - or try to charm. They just are what they are, and that is holy.

I knew it as soon as I came within about ten feet of them. I could feel peace. Like I said about Fr. Aleksandr, I felt my blood pressure drop.

I've known some really decent, good people in my lifetime, but those two are the only ones I have ever met who actually radiated holiness, peace, and love.

Being around them, even for just a short while, was amazing.

You make us all want to go there and meet them :p.

Linus7

No*s said:
You make us all want to go there and meet them :p.
I highly recommend it.

Fr. Aleksandr was the priest at St. Herman Valaamsky Church on a little street that runs parallel to Tverskaya Street about one block east of Tverskaya (I can't remember the name of the little street). Tverskaya is easy to find, though. It is the most major street in Moscow and runs right into Red Square.

Sister Concordia was at the Pokrovsky Monastery in Moscow. A good reason to go there, besides to visit Sister Concordia, is that the relics of St. Matryona are there.

My wife (who is Russian) and I visited the relics of St. Matryona four times in 2001 and received miraculous answers to prayer as a result of her intercession.

Matryona was a little blind saint who stood up to Stalin and told him point-blank to stop persecuting Christians. Her body lies in a glass-topped coffin at the Pokrovsky Monastery, and there is a miraculous icon of her there, too.

No*s

Captain Obvious
Wow...that sounds really nice. If I ever can go to Russia I'll make a point of it (I can't well travel beyond my town right now lol).

I also like the line that "Matryona was a little blind saint who stood up to Stalin." Anyone who stood up to that monster gets a lot of respect from me.

Matrona

Linus7 said:
My wife (who is Russian) and I visited the relics of St. Matryona four times in 2001 and received miraculous answers to prayer as a result of her intercession.

Matryona was a little blind saint who stood up to Stalin and told him point-blank to stop persecuting Christians. Her body lies in a glass-topped coffin at the Pokrovsky Monastery, and there is a miraculous icon of her there, too.
St. Matryona was the one known as "Matronushka", and one of the reasons I am glad for my name which is similar to hers.

It's a pity a lot of the Russian new martyrs aren't well known yet.

No*s

Captain Obvious
Matrona said:
St. Matryona was the one known as "Matronushka", and one of the reasons I am glad for my name which is similar to hers.

It's a pity a lot of the Russian new martyrs aren't well known yet.

There's only one way to change that :). Do you know of a site with many of their stories on there?