• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How did you earn your US citizenship?

suncowiam

If you're a US citizen, what did you do to earn it?

Should non-citizens be required to do the same to earn their citizenship?

Thanks

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I was born here. The problem with tests for people born here is it would be reminiscent of the some of the Jim Crow Law literacy tests and the like. There is a possibility of abuse. I am not going to tell a fellow citizen that they are not educated enough to vote.

suncowiam

I was born here. The problem with tests for people born here is it would be reminiscent of the some of the Jim Crow Law literacy tests and the like. There is a possibility of abuse. I am not going to tell a fellow citizen that they are not educated enough to vote.

Interesting... Are you suggesting to not have any requirements for non-citizens to be citizens?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Thanks

I was born here. Currently, anyone born in the US gets to be a citizen.

My wife OTOH had to show she had support here. Receive approval to immigrate. To become a citizen she had to pass a citizenship test, stuff if you are born here you learn in school. Wait about a year for processing. Get sworn in by a judge.

What would you rather have non-citizens do?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Interesting... Are you suggesting to not have any requirements for non-citizens to be citizens?

No, that is a bit different. We can and do treat the two different groups, citizens and non-citizens differently. It might not seem fair, but there needs to some way for non-citizens to earn their wings so to speak.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher

Thanks

Well, let's see, my ancestors were kidnapped, traded, and sold to European merchants who travelled across the ocean for months dropping off my kin folk to various islands and countries until finally my tribe arrived on the shores of West Virginia. During this time, the United States was not formed during this time but were colonies. My tribes language, religion, and ultimately culture was against the law. Many of my ancestral tribesman were forced into unpaid labor for centuries. Raped, murdered, and castrated. Centuries later after forced acclimation, many black inventors who never received national credit, would create inventions we still use til this day one that being the traffic light as well as the gas mask by Garrett Augustus Morgan who I might add, had the education level of a sixth grader.

Because of negative stereotypes of people of my heritage and complexion I am often labeled as angry, belligerent, unintelligent, unclean, a thief, lazy, and unattractive. Because of this I am forced not to be of myself but to be of someone who has to rise above these stereotypes. When it comes to intellect, I have to perform two times better than my counter parts. Because of the perception of being a thief, I have to maintain obeisance to law, despite it being against me. I think by me not being a statistic and rising above the status quo, I think I've earned my right to be a part of this land despite the historical horrors of getting here.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
My parents were both poor immigrants with little education. The only thing they had was the desire to succeed, They were legal at a time when immigration was welcomed unlike today when there is even an attempt to stop legal immigration and to restrict who can become citizens.

I was born here so have a birthright that some want to take away.

Those people will fail utterly and completely sooner or later because they are anti-american and hate our ideals.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
My mom squeezed me out into this world at Joplin, Missouri. Can't really say I did anything to earn it, so non-citizens definitely shouldn't be required to have the same to become citizens.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

Thanks
I was born here. My wife and here family came at different times.

My wife had to be a resident for about 10 years... now she is a citizen
Her mom was able to come later and now she is a citizen
her sisters took longer but all are here... some are residents some are citizens.

Other than time, there are basically no requirements.

Shaul

Premium Member
Well, let's see, my ancestors were kidnapped, traded, and sold to European merchants who travelled across the ocean for months dropping off my kin folk to various islands and countries until finally my tribe arrived on the shores of West Virginia.
I didn’t know West Virginia had ocean shores. :D

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
I walked over from Mexico, no wall to stop me so why not?

tytlyf

Not Religious
I was born here. My wife and here family came at different times.

My wife had to be a resident for about 10 years... now she is a citizen
Her mom was able to come later and now she is a citizen
her sisters took longer but all are here... some are residents some are citizens.

Other than time, there are basically no requirements.
Sounds like "chain migration"

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I was born here, in Ohio, purely by chance. For some reason, the gang then claiming Ohio as part of their turf felt that that fortuitous event gave them claim to my allegiance, not to mention my labor and person. It was only by chance I wasn't drafted to go kill innocent people I'd never met, in Vietnam.

I don't consider myself 'American'. When asked, I say I'm 'North American'.
America prides itself on it's freedom, yet declined to afford me even the most basic freedom of conscience.
Why would a chance event at age 0 automatically commit me to a particular team?

I oppose nations.