• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How did you come to the answer you currently holds in the spiritual teaching you follow?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Everyone in RF has their own understanding of the teaching or path you are on, but how did you get to the current understanding you holding now? Has the answer changed a lot over the years?
How do you react when discovering new wisdom that send you in the right direction toward the "goal" in your path?

taykair

rational experiences

Veteran Member
I only learnt and agreed that I was learning by circumstance of being honest. One day by self expression and studies of all various human spiritual experiences and religious text quotes....asking questions, getting verifiable spiritual answers in my own self mind.....I realized what I claimed I knew yesterday or months or weeks before, changed.

Every day suddenly new advice existed. So I told my own self, okay, information is constantly changing.

So I asked spirit in my mind psyche, where verifiable non personal studied information was given. I knew it real for humans as humans own and identify reasoning for self, human. And encyclopaedia/medical or herbal information was correct.

Then I wondered about humans giving me this information, not of my own human study....when AI as a human science caused machine...being the only true historic Earth artificial body was realized.

For I know that the UFO sun metal gets sucked back out of Earth for it never belonged here...and although science, the fake machine body....invented by mineral melt...so is hot radiation historically its own evil/artificial body....made it come back....origin cosmological causes had sucked it out into space and saved Earth historically.

Science brought it back in for machine...so the UFO in virtual reality is like we get visited by a volcano....why our gases go back to a virtual burnt out mass, where clouds come from in the beginning in space, from Earth.

Why machines and human science is our Destroyer actually...by their choice.

I realized that humans owning the study/research and clarification information live and die life recorded by image and voice. Exactly the same as inanimate objects...so I knew it was artificial...and not natural. But it taught me...and as it updated its information daily from and via natural human life/death, it also incorporated new advice....humans dying unnaturally by science cause.

So as a spiritual self who loves her human extended family as if they are my family, I said, I must correlate this information and tell my family that we only learn from our death.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Everyone in RF has their own understanding of the teaching or path you are on, but how did you get to the current understanding you holding now?

I started writing down my past experiences and things I've learned from and patterns both good and bad events I picked up. I move around more and my diet is healthier. I take care of myself. I listen to inspirations talks on TEDx about goal creating and some methods that aren't quite the same as other common methods. I finished listening to Automic Habits my James Clear and some of his talks. Mostly freedom, knowledge, and sense of awe.

Has the answer changed a lot over the years?

Yes. The older I get its less societal base and more experiential and discovery base. I like looking for "my soul". The journey isn't passive.

How do you react when discovering new wisdom that send you in the right direction toward the "goal" in your path

When I write it, I see if it aligns with my values, goals, purpose, etc. I get a feeling if this new info matches or makes me uncomfortable. I'm not sure if wisdom is new only in the sense when we come upon things we haven't heard of before, it's been there for thousands of years ready. It's all in perspective.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Everyone in RF has their own understanding of the teaching or path you are on, but how did you get to the current understanding you holding now? Has the answer changed a lot over the years?
How do you react when discovering new wisdom that send you in the right direction toward the "goal" in your path?
When I started becoming interested in the spiritual realm, I started by looking around - visiting a Zen center, a Tibetan Buddhist center, listening to Baba Ram Das (Richard Alpert), reading and more.

At that time I became aware of Meher Baba and his claim to be God in human form. To say that I was skeptical is only part of it - I thought "how can he claim that if he really is that", how can he ask people to be honest when there are situations where evil can result from honesty, what kind of life did he live, what were his close ones like, if God had been a human, how could he have allowed all the evil in the world. I was skeptical and questioning.

Gradually this was resolved helped by a notable experience I had. And by a trip to India to visit where had had lived and meet his close ones. His close ones are gone now, but I was impressed by how individual they were - they were very different but there was a common essence of love that they expressed each in their own way.

Over the years, my understanding has changed and been refined. My initial question of honesty was partially answered by learning that expressing love is the greatest honesty. When asked if I like something my wife is wearing, I can choose loving honesty and focus on something that expresses the love I have for her not how much I dislike what she chose, for example.

And I've learned how important even the tiniest actions are. I have a long way to go, but my goal is to match my deeds to my ideals.

I've also come to realize how each person is different in their approach. I see how atheists want the truth, how different spiritual paths wind up in the same destination no matter how different their formulations may be. So my urge to push my understanding on others has been replaced with more of an appreciation of other's understanding and only speak of mine if asked such as in this thread.

Just one final point about new wisdom. I read the "Lights of Kabbalah" Facebook group and came across this from the Baal Shem Tov. It caused me to stop and reflect on my reaction to various political figures. Not that the reflection caused me to change overnight, reading this is another step along the way:

"Nothing is by chance: every single event or experience in a person's life is predetermined and purposeful. So if a person chances to witness the degradation of his fellow, he must realize that he, too, suffers from the same lack in one form or another. Otherwise, why would Divine Providence have caused him to see his fellow's failing? Obviously, to open his eyes to something he must correct in himself. So even if one is your enemy, and justifiably so; even if his moral and spiritual downfall is one of his own making - it could have happened without your having been made aware of it. That you have witnessed it has nothing to do with him: it is a message to you, enjoining you to deal with a similar negative element - be it in subtlest of forms - within yourself."

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
I wanted to bypass all religion because I consider it all mythology instead of actual events. I figure since God is not making known God's existence and all these religions are not true from comparing my experiences to some of these scriptures that I would embark on a journey to see if there was an obvious, clear cut universal moral truth.

I made a list of all the good words of character in the English language. I made definitions for each word; personal definitions, and common definitions for each word. And I kept studying anything I could find about virtues. And by studying it dawned on me that objective, universal morality is virtues vs. vices. And the goal of living is charitable love, joy, and peace with all whom are for those things. I saw how sublime the ideals of virtues are.

But ideals are not the reality we live in. And all vices are really no good for anyone.

So I have one obstacle to believing there is a God. That is that nature is mostly brute and senseless, atrocity happens frequently, we live on a speck in a vast void, and nothing benevolent is going on, and nature doesn't care about anyone's justice. Overwhelming insignificance with deeply profound realizations of Truth; that's me!

danieldemol

Premium Member
By a combination of intuitive thought and intense personal reflection I came to my spiritual (non-religious) path.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member

I first rebelled against the teachings of the church I was raised in, and then after seeking the truth in other denominations, I realized that almost all the churches of Christendom taught the same core beliefs under a different label....what was the point of calling themselves by different names when they basically followed the same beliefs, just with different details? :shrug:

I launched into a search for God in other spiritual paths like Buddhism and Eastern religions but was repelled by the idolatry, and rituals that seemed mindless.....surely an intelligent God would not require such repetition.
I believe that an intelligent God would promote something that appeals to both heart and intellect. In any case it all repulsed me.

I tried eliminating God altogether by studying evolution.....but God and his marvelous designs kept getting in the way. I was about to give up on God when I suffered the sudden and devastating loss of my father at just 52 years of age.

I needed to know where he was, and whether he was happy or as miserable as we were? It seemed as if a huge hole had opened up and swallowed him. That was when God found me. I answered a knock on my door that changed my life. I was angry with God over the death of my father, and wondered why he takes good people to leave their families in such grief? They answered all my questions.

After my encounter with Jehovah’s Witnesses, I finally found a people who actually practice what they preach. They knew their Bible well, and all my questions were answered without any blind credulity required. I already knew in my heart that the Bible was from God, and they confirmed for me that it is accurate and it’s contents and teachings are reliable. I finally knew that my father was at peace.

I studied for two years, investigating everything that my mind could think of, and every time, the Bible had the answers....I just had to ditch all my pre-conceived notions and start from scratch.

It is a refreshing thing to do to leave all those hang ups and lies behind....to find out that Jesus never taught any of them.

Today my beliefs have not changed even though they have been refined with some new understanding....sort of like finding new facets on an already beautiful gem.

Spiritually speaking....I wouldn’t be anywhere else. Nothing and no one has been able to dissuade me from this path. It leads somewhere I have always wanted to go....and it isn’t heaven....it’s right here on a restored earth, cleansed of all wickedness thanks to the coming of God's Kingdom in the hands of his son....this will mean that God's will can finally "be done on earth as it is in heaven". :)

Heyo

Veteran Member
Everyone in RF has their own understanding of the teaching or path you are on, but how did you get to the current understanding you holding now?
By watching. When I look at the world, I see a tremendous diversity of ideas of gods, religions and spirituallity.
Has the answer changed a lot over the years?
Not substantially but the details shifted with new informations.
Question, examine, adapt.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

Experiences and honest investigation. Yes at my youngest I wanted be a Priest, Mid way through I spouted Atheism and Now I settled on Agnostic theist. Now I just try and help others, if something new comes to my understanding I will honestly investigate.

syo

I didn't give up. :)