• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How did the Jews blaspheme?

whirlingmerc

Any classic theories?

This is too vague.

But if a person takes the name of God upon himself, Christian or Rabbinic Jew, but lives
not in a way that glorifies God, it is dissing God.

If a person treasures things above God in their heart or caricatures God in his or her heart that is an idol.

If a person has knowledge of God and ignores it that is dissing God

These are problems of the world in general and hardly confined to one people and hardly excludes Christians.

The great thing is that God promised Abraham that all people would be blessed in his seed turning from them. Christians and the New Testament take Abraham's seed to be Jesus

David1967

Premium Member
I don't know what you're referring to in your OP, but

"Why are 'The Muslims' terrorists?"
You hear the problem?

This may be a New testament reference to Jesus speaking about blaspheming the Holy Spirit. Perhaps the OP could be a bit more specific.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
We ate our pizza with a fork.
The year was 419, CE and all the Jews sat around for a nice late lunch. Wednesday it was, a day much like today, only sans the indoor plumbing and with a dollop more of antiquity. Steve* brought out soda and started pouring while Herve* carried in a couple of pies. Mostly plain but he had the foresight to get a half-olive/half pineapple. We are a varied people.
The Jews took slices in silence as, in compliance with ancient law and ritual, they had washed their hands, intending to eat 3 slices and make this a meal. They took cutlery, anticipating maybe a salad to be brought in, and then, as one, they sat and chowed down, cutting small pieces with the forks, reciting the blessing, and eating.

A grand time was had by all until a heretic, bent on the destruction of his erstwhile people after his being banned for not attending the plenary meetings dealing with the anticipated control of the banks and media in 1300 years, informed to authorities that the Jews had "performed that blasphem[e] which has so oft separated the holy from the profane, eating the 'za with cutlery."

Authorities swooped down, and the dark ages started.
Fin.

*names changed to protect anyone by those names.

You sure the pineapple topping had nothing to do with it? Oy Vey!

Earthling

David Henson
Any classic theories?

Well, I don't know about "classic theories" but I would have some reluctance to use blasphemy in the sense that you are using it (see long post on blasphemy below if interested).

Rather than blasphemy I think what you might be looking for is the question "When did the Jews break the covenant?" Jehovah foretold the new covenant by the prophet Jeremiah in the seventh century B.C.E., stating that it would not be like the Law covenant, which Israel broke. (Jeremiah 31:31-34) That new covenant can be seen to have taken effect at Pentecost 33 C.E., thus ending the old covenant. (Acts of the apostles 2:1-4, Acts of the apostles 2:33)

Blasphemy is an anglicized version of the Greek word blasphemia which in Greek meant any injurious, abusive or defamatory speech towards God or men. The English version of the word though, usually applies only to such speech directed to God or sacred things.

It is correct in saying that blasphemers were to be stoned to death, but only punishable by death under the Mosaic Law.

Satan was the first and remains the primary instigator of blasphemy (Genesis 3:1-5 / John 8:44-49) for suggesting that God was untruthful.

Calling upon the name of God, as mentioned at Genesis 4:26 was apparently not done in an appropriate way, as is indicated by the Jerusalem Targum, which says: "That was the generation in whose days they began to err, and to make themselves idols, and surnamed their idols by the name of the Word of the Lord." It is believed that men began applying the name of God to men, and/or to idols of worship.

The first three of the Ten Commandments dealt with Jehovah God's sovereignty and exclusive right deserving worship.

Calling down evil upon God or cursing a chieftain was also blasphemy deserving death. The first case of this happening after the Ten Words were given was when a son of an Israelite woman and an Egyptian man was stoned for abusing the name of God and calling down evil upon it. From then on the offense was punishable by stoning to death. (Exodus 20:1-7; Leviticus 24:10-16)

Blasphemy didn't need to be expressed vocally in the Hebrew Scriptures to be considered as blasphemy. A blatant disrespect for Jehovah God's laws was also considered blasphemy, though the unintentional lawbreaker was given mercy. (Numbers 15:27-31 / Nehemiah 9:18) It didn't always result in death.

Some examples of blasphemy in the Hebrew Scriptures are Eli's sons (1 Samuel 3:12-13), the Assyrian official Rabshakeh, (2 Kings 19:4-6, 22-23) and that of false prophets (Jeremiah 23:16-17). Naboth, though innocent, was convicted of blasphemy and was stoned to death based upon the testimony of false witnesses.

The incorrect view began to take effect that the pronunciation of God's name was a blasphemous act based upon a misapplication of Leviticus 24:10-16. Talmudic tradition also indicates that upon hearing the testimony of blasphemous words of the accused, religious judges should tear their garments; this is based upon 2 Kings 18:37; 19:1-4. (Jewish Encyclopedia, 1976, Vol. III, p. 237)

The importance of the name in the Hebrew Scriptures and among Semitic people should not be overlooked. According to Professor G.T. Manely: "A study of the word 'name' in the OT reveals how much it means in Hebrew. The name is no mere label, but is significant of the real personality of him to whom it belongs. . . . When a person puts his 'name' upon a thing or another person the latter comes under his influence and protection." (New Bible Dictionary, edited by J. D. Douglas, 1985, p. 430.)

Deuteronomy 23:2 forbids illegitimate children from coming into the congregation. Adultery, punishable by the death of the unborn child along with the mother and father, (Leviticus 20:10; Deuteronomy 22:22) was forbidden due to the breakdown of the family arrangement and would result in the child having no inheritance. All of this would have a devastating effect upon society. For this reason the illegitimate child of David was taken. (2 Samuel 12:14) Since Jehovah had a Kingdom covenant with David he wasn't put to death. (2 Samuel 7:11-16)

Paul used the Greek verb blasphemeo at Romans 2:24 in reference to Ezekiel 36:20-21 which demonstrates the harmony of the basic meaning of the word from Hebrew to Greek.

Herod committed blasphemy when he claimed the prerogative of God (Acts 12:21-22)

Jesus was accused of blasphemy when he forgave sins, (Matthew 9:2-3) when he claimed to be God's son, (John 10:33-36) and for telling the Sanhedrin that he would sit at the right hand of God, to which they proclaimed him worthy of death. (Mark 14:61-64) They had no authority from the Romans, however, so they shrewdly changed the charge to sedition. (John 18:29 - 19:16)

Blasphemy against the holy spirit is the only unforgivable sin (Luke 12:10) Blasphemy comes from the heart and must be a willful and deliberate act, not merely a result of imperfection or human weakness.

Joseph Burton

Because I'm talking in a general sense. I'm not interested at this point so much in how many of the Jews, which of the Jews or when the Jews. No, I don't need to bash anyone. Just I have heard that Jews have been accused of blasphemy, but I haven't found any concrete examples. Figured someone might know some.

Because all of the prophecies in the Tanakh (Old Testament) were fulfilled in the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus. Daniel who was a Jewish captive in Babylon wrote: “he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate.” Daniel 9:27

Did not Jesus do this very thing?

Jesus said (concerning the Jewish Temple) “Verily I say unto you, there shall not be left here one stone upon another that shall not be thrown down.”

Was not this very thing accomplished?

The Romans utterly destroyed the Temple and plowed it like a field after the Great Jewish Revolt; thus accomplishing the words of Jesus and fulfilling Daniel’s prophecy, forever ending the system of Jewish sacrifices (though they had already become a mockery because Jesus died as the true sacrifice for sin).

Jesus is the very foundation of Judaism, the fulfillment of all the long cherished hopes, and yet He was rejected, so sad. The sad betrayal of Jesus is itself vividly prophesied by the prophet Zechariah, sometime after the Jewish captives left Babylon: “So they weighed for my price thirty pieces of silver.” Zechariah 11:12

Did not Judas betray Jesus for thirty pieces of silver?

After Judas poured out the money and hanged himself and his body was devoured by wild dogs, the Jewish priests and Rabbis feared a similar fate. They considered the silver as blood money and were afraid to keep it, so they took it and bought a potter’s field and buried the mangled body of Judas there. “And the chief priests took the silver pieces, and said, it is not lawful for to put them into the treasury, because it is the price of blood. And they took counsel, and bought with them the potter's field.”

Thus they accidentally fulfilled the rest of the prophecy which God gave through Zechariah!

“And the Lord said unto me, Cast it unto the potter: a goodly price that I was prized at of them. And I took the thirty pieces of silver, and cast them to the potter.” Zechariah 11:13

The steps the Jewish elders took to rid themselves of the blood money and the fate of Judas ended up finishing the exact fulfillment of the words of the prophet Zechariah concerning the betrayal of Jesus!

InvestigateTruth

Any classic theories?
I think what you have in mind, is the statement in Quran, 'jews say Uzzair is son of God'. Do you know arabic? I can send a link with a tradition, showing some arguments between Muhammad and the Jews regarding this. According to the Tradition, Jews came to Muhammad, saying to Him, 'we call Uzzair, son of God'. What would you tell us? If you agree with this statement, it means, we knew this, before you knew. If you disagree we will argue with you'. Uzzair was a man who put together the Jewish Scriptures. So, he was highly respected, and Jews believed he was a son of God. They did not believe literally or physically born of God, but a close relationship with God. They told Muhammad, you call Abraham, 'friend of God', so, why do you have problem if we call Uzzair 'son of God'. It is an interesting tradition, and it is a long one, but it shows how good Muhammad was at debate and giving arguments.

حكمت نامه پيامبر اعظم صلَّي الله عليه و آله - محمدی ری‌شهری، محمد - کتابخانه مدرسه فقاهت

Last edited:

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
@BSM1 ,

No no... Pineapple pizza is heavenly... :rolleyes:

@rosends ,

It seems the blasphemy you reported is getting worse. Potentially becoming an epidemic. I once saw someone eating a snickers with a fork.

9yoa410fh2221.jpg

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
It seems the blasphemy you reported is getting worse. Potentially becoming an epidemic. I once saw someone eating a snickers with a fork.
Oh dear this is not good!We must protect the children...:eek:

I work with people who eat muffins from a bowl, with a spoon. Signs of the apocalypse, to be sure.
We need to get ready...I got the first aid kits...You make sure the children are safe...Anything bad happens and we sacrifice @dybmh...I'm sure he won't mind...

Last edited:

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Oh dear this is not good!We must protect the children...:eek:

We need to get ready...I got the first aid kits...You make sure the children are safe...Anything bad happens and we sacrifice @dybmh...I'm sure he won't mind...

Yup... I'll do it. Take'n one for the team.. for the children..

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
@dybmh I however will not be sacrificing myself...Forget the children they die first in these situations anyway...

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
@dybmh I however will not be sacrificing myself...Forget the children they die first in these situations anyway...

it's a fair observation, DeathRayOfDarkness

edit: If possible, please set your Phaser to Vaporize? Less Mess :)

Last edited: