• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How could I ?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Since i first come to this forum i have been in many interesting discussions, I do enjoy most of the back and forth between people from different walks of life and religions :)

But this morning i woke up, think. Have i been to focused on what I stand for and what I want to share from my path of Buddhism? I told my self " Amanaki you have to work on your ego to let go, Life is not about Amanaki and his knowledge" The second thing that i thought was " Be a Buddhist but when you discuss with others, dont force your views on them, learn to listen"

I do not know if i can call this a form of moment of awakening, but from now its not about Amanaki`s wisdom and knowledge, it is what can i share with this group that let everybody understand their path better.

So my question is : How could i miss this big part of my mistakes? Any idea? let me know :)

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
It doesn't look like you missed it from where I'm sitting.

To bobble every now and again makes one human. To realize and correct the bobble makes one wise.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
How could i miss this big part of my mistakes? Any idea?
Start with the usage of our sentences; when we are putting "I" that is self orientated, it is an expression of our ego with the outside world.

Realizing that Oneness is about serving others before self, and therefore as we acknowledge why we're putting things, we learn to not be so self absorbed.

In my opinion. :innocent:

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Start with the usage of our sentences; when we are putting "I" that is self orientated, it is an expression of our ego with the outside world.

Realizing that Oneness is about serving others before self, and therefore as we acknowledge why we're putting things, we learn to not be so self absorbed.

In my opinion. :innocent:
Agree to what you say here :) Sometimes it is better to ask questions then to give answer :) Asking not to know or understand, but asking to let the other person realise their own view and find new answers from within :)

Shantanu

Since i first come to this forum i have been in many interesting discussions, I do enjoy most of the back and forth between people from different walks of life and religions :)

But this morning i woke up, think. Have i been to focused on what I stand for and what I want to share from my path of Buddhism? I told my self " Amanaki you have to work on your ego to let go, Life is not about Amanaki and his knowledge" The second thing that i thought was " Be a Buddhist but when you discuss with others, dont force your views on them, learn to listen"

I do not know if i can call this a form of moment of awakening, but from now its not about Amanaki`s wisdom and knowledge, it is what can i share with this group that let everybody understand their path better.

So my question is : How could i miss this big part of my mistakes? Any idea? let me know :)
The way I see it you have made a great contribution to the debate on the validity of Theravada Buddhism that I have benefitted from and which turned me into thinking that I should also be a Buddhist of some description. I have chosen to call myself Existential Buddhist because I learnt from you many important things about what Buddha said.

Further, you say that you are not enlightened yet and so you are free to engage in more interactions with the world on your views.

Of course in a Forum, unless you post in the DIR of Dharmic Religions you are opening yourself to being probed and so you will necessarily have to respond with answers. I do not see that as ego but helping people understand Theravada Buddhism. Hopefully it will make you think more deeply about the scriptures and speed up your journey to enlightenment. Then you can stop posting because posting can be an attachment.

I post because I am still trying to ascertain my religion and knowing what to call myself. I would have liked to take this discussion further: Is Buddhism a branch of Hinduism ; Theravada Buddhism versus Existential Buddhism. We therefore need you to continue posting here for years so that people are aware of all the questions surrounding Buddhism.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
The way I see it you have made a great contribution to the debate on the validity of Theravada Buddhism that I have benefitted from and which turned me into thinking that I should also be a Buddhist of some description. I have chosen to call myself Existential Buddhist because I learnt from you many important things about what Buddha said.

Further, you say that you are not enlightened yet and so you are free to engage in more interactions with the world on your views.

Of course in a Forum, unless you post in the DIR of Dharmic Religions you are opening yourself to being probed and so you will necessarily have to respond with answers. I do not see that as ego but helping people understand Theravada Buddhism. Hopefully it will make you think more deeply about the scriptures and speed up your journey to enlightenment. Then you can stop posting because posting can be an attachment.

I post because I am still trying to ascertain my religion and knowing what to call myself. I would have liked to take this discussion further: Is Buddhism a branch of Hinduism.

Theravada Buddhism versus Existential Buddhism. We therefore need you to continue posting here for years so that people are aware of all the questions surrounding Buddhism.
Thank you Shantanu :)

Yes as Theravada buddhist i will still continue this path, this is not changing and even i see buddhis differently then you do, i will still answer your question, but may be in a different way then before.
The meaning behind this OP is that until now i felt i come across to strong of only being a buddhist, and i was blind toward that others wisdom and insight might benefit me in to my own path,

Accepting that even buddhism is my life now, it does not mean i can give this teaching to everyone, and it does not mean i should use buddhism to explain to others what they should understand in their path or belief. I have to become better in seeing their problem or their question from where they stand, not from where i stand.

I might have wisdom or insight that others do not have or see, so i must better my self to not say things that nobody understand or even see as false speech. before i comment i must find where my answer should be pointed at.

Taking time to reflect on what do the other person need in their path that will benefit them and not me. When people ask questions it is because they are curiouse or stuck on their own path. they seek wisdom, and yes if i do have that wisdom i will freely share it, but sometimes just giving my view of a topic will not give them chance to grow spiritually. If i ask back a question about the topic they want answer to, i must put my question in a way that when they answer, it is them who learn from it, they gain their own wisdom :)

Hope this make sense

Shantanu

Thank you Shantanu :)

Yes as Theravada buddhist i will still continue this path, this is not changing and even i see buddhis differently then you do, i will still answer your question, but may be in a different way then before.
The meaning behind this OP is that until now i felt i come across to strong of only being a buddhist, and i was blind toward that others wisdom and insight might benefit me in to my own path,

Accepting that even buddhism is my life now, it does not mean i can give this teaching to everyone, and it does not mean i should use buddhism to explain to others what they should understand in their path or belief. I have to become better in seeing their problem or their question from where they stand, not from where i stand.

I might have wisdom or insight that others do not have or see, so i must better my self to not say things that nobody understand or even see as false speech. before i comment i must find where my answer should be pointed at.

Taking time to reflect on what do the other person need in their path that will benefit them and not me. When people ask questions it is because they are curiouse or stuck on their own path. they seek wisdom, and yes if i do have that wisdom i will freely share it, but sometimes just giving my view of a topic will not give them chance to grow spiritually. If i ask back a question about the topic they want answer to, i must put my question in a way that when they answer, it is them who learn from it, they gain their own wisdom :)

Hope this make sense
Today, I read a post from @wizanda that the human species could get extinct in 100 years time. As an Existential Buddhist I highlighted the possible causes of such a disaster in his thread. Of course we need to adopt Buddhism and keep our desires in check to avoid the doomsday scenario that I have written about. This kind of questions occupies my mind more that Buddhadharma per se. So I hope you do not mind me not being a perfect Theravada Buddhist.:)

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
The second thing that i thought was " Be a Buddhist but when you discuss with others, dont force your views on them, learn to listen."
Yes, it is awakening to some extent, but there is a long way to go. We don't come with knowledge burnt into us like in a CD. We learn it in our life. Even Buddha learnt it slowly and slowly, and with effort.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Today, I read a post from @wizanda that the human species could get extinct in 100 years time. As an Existential Buddhist I highlighted the possible causes of such a disaster in his thread. Of course we need to adopt Buddhism and keep our desires in check to avoid the doomsday scenario that I have written about. This kind of questions occupies my mind more that Buddhadharma per se. So I hope you do not mind me not being a perfect Theravada Buddhist.:)

I find it difficult to say that humans will be extinct within 100 years, But i can neither prove it wrong :) So i think we all must do our best to make it possible that we can live on beyond 100 years :) But Buddhism will not be able to save everyone, so we should do what we can to be the best human being we can. And we should not try to force or push buddhism on to those who are not willing or have an other belief already :)

How can you be a perfect Theravada buddhist when you not consider you self a theravada buddhist :) You can only do your best to be the best Shantanu as you can :)

Shantanu

I find it difficult to say that humans will be extinct within 100 years, But i can neither prove it wrong :) So i think we all must do our best to make it possible that we can live on beyond 100 years :) But Buddhism will not be able to save everyone, so we should do what we can to be the best human being we can. And we should not try to force or push buddhism on to those who are not willing or have an other belief already :)

How can you be a perfect Theravada buddhist when you not consider you self a theravada buddhist :) You can only do your best to be the best Shantanu as you can :)
My conscience tells me to do good for God's creation and so humanity needs to adjust and find a better way to conduct its affairs so that we are guaranteed thousands of years of living not just 100 years. For that we must control our desires and live simple austere lives. I am sure as a Theravada Buddhist you will agree with me that this is consistent with my philosophy of Existential Buddhism. Where I disagree with Theravada Buddhism is on karma/reincarnation, annata (no Self/God) and the need to preserve Nature in order to have a decent planet to live on.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
My conscience tells me to do good for God's creation and so humanity needs to adjust and find a better way to conduct its affairs so that we are guaranteed thousands of years of living not just 100 years. For that we must control our desires and live simple austere lives. I am sure as a Theravada Buddhist you will agree with me that this is consistent with my philosophy of Existential Buddhism. Where I disagree with Theravada Buddhism is on karma/reincarnation, annata (no Self/God) and the need to preserve Nature in order to have a decent planet to live on.

Preserve nature is important and to understand that every plant and every animal have their own life is very important, and to respect their lifes.
Many people do have a lot to learn about how to make our world better, but Who am i to tell them what to do :) I must first make the right effort my self and then i can help others to see the truth about what we do wrong in the world now. And right now i am not capable to give those answer to everyone.
When it comes to Politics i do not have an opinion so i can not say what they do wrong.

Personally i live only from moment to moment so i dont think years ahead

Shantanu

Preserve nature is important and to understand that every plant and every animal have their own life is very important, and to respect their lifes.
Many people do have a lot to learn about how to make our world better, but Who am i to tell them what to do :) I must first make the right effort my self and then i can help others to see the truth about what we do wrong in the world now. And right now i am not capable to give those answer to everyone.
When it comes to Politics i do not have an opinion so i can not say what they do wrong.

Personally i live only from moment to moment so i dont think years ahead
I am retired from active life and so can only use the Internet to make my dharmic views known to the world through my Blog for I am ignored by the UK State and the rest of the world who do not wish to pay any attention to what I have said. I can only sit in my home in front of the computer and type away my philosophy without concerning myself with whether anyone is listening to my views.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I am retired from active life and so can only use the Internet to make my dharmic views known to the world through my Blog for I am ignored by the UK State and the rest of the world who do not wish to pay any attention to what I have said. I can only sit in my home in front of the computer and type away my philosophy without concerning myself with whether anyone is listening to my views.
Do you ask you self question why your situation has become like this?