• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How come atheists/SJWs always persist with the lie that Christianity was spread through violence?

InChrist

Free4ever
Whether Jesus did it or not isn't relevant, the fact is that Christianity was spread by violent and/or coercive methods, and it still is.
Like I said, what is spread by violence or coercive methods...is not Christianity. Real Christianity is Jesus, so what He did is all that matters and all that defines Christianity.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

exchemist

Veteran Member
Yes, but it does not apply because it is Christ who defines Christianity, not the wrong actions of sinful humans.
No. I'm afraid Christianity is a term invented by Man, to describe the systems of belief and organisation of those people who claim to be followers of Christ's teaching.

If you now try to redefine it to be what Christ says, (a) it is clearly you, not Christ, that is offering a rival definition and ( b ) you will struggle to demonstrate the validity of your definition, since Christ never used the term.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Any "Christianity" that has been spread by violence, such as the crusades, colonialism, inquisitions, etc. was the spread of religious/political power and control, but not Christianity at all. If Christianity is about Jesus Christ then these examples of atrocities and violence are solely the work of humans misusing, even blaspheming the name of Christ, as Jesus or even His apostles never spread the gospel in forceful, violent ways.

This is the No True Christian fallacy (I've renamed it since this is the context in which we virtually always see it - sorry Revoltingest). Once again, the non-Christian can give you a more impartial assessment than the ensconsed believer. The unbeliever will define Christianity according to what he sees rather than an idealized conception that manifests in too few believers.

To me, Christianity is defined by the kinds of people it generates and how they behave. In fact the divide between this idealized form of Christianity and what we actually see merely emphasizes the relative ineffectiveness of the religion to generate better people than it does. Simply calling them not real Christians doesn't make the religion better, nor its message and means of inculcating it into people any more effective.

Consider the rampant homophobia in certain factions of the American church. You can tell me that that is not Christianity, but of course it is. Such people would be much less likely to be homophobic if they were secular humanists or Baha'i, for example, rather than Christians.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Well, it was. Particularly in the colonies. The Spanish were especially vicious and mind-blowingly cruel to the Central and South American peoples. The North American indigenous peoples and Oceanic and Pacific Islander peoples were also treated horribly by Europeans. Native Tasmanians, for example, were totally wiped out.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Any "Christianity" that has been spread by violence, such as the crusades, colonialism, inquisitions, etc. was the spread of religious/political power and control, but not Christianity at all. If Christianity is about Jesus Christ then these examples of atrocities and violence are solely the work of humans misusing, even blaspheming the name of Christ, as Jesus or even His apostles never spread the gospel in forceful, violent ways.
If the Christianity that was spread by violence wasn't actually Christianity then what the heck are Christians actually following? Because that's how it spread. Christianity in the Americas, in Africa, in Northern Europe and beyond...spread through violence.

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal
Like I said, what is spread by violence or coercive methods...is not Christianity. Real Christianity is Jesus, so what He did is all that matters and all that defines Christianity.
Who are you to say what version of Christianity is the correct one? And yes, it is certainly Christianity. Lying to yourself might make you feel better, but it's still a lie.

InChrist

Free4ever
If the Christianity that was spread by violence wasn't actually Christianity then what the heck are Christians actually following? Because that's how it spread. Christianity in the Americas, in Africa, in Northern Europe and beyond...spread through violence.
They are following their sinful nature and may be religious persons, but not actually regenerate Christians. I think while a lot of so-called Christianity has been spread with violence any honest person should be willing to admit that there are sincere Christians who have spread Christianity with real sacrificial love throughout history. Have you heard of Amy Carmichael?

InChrist

Free4ever
Who are you to say what version of Christianity is the correct one? And yes, it is certainly Christianity. Lying to yourself might make you feel better, but it's still a lie.
I am no one to say what real Christianity is...but Jesus Christ is Someone who is.

InChrist

Free4ever
What is Christ's "definition of Christianity"? Chapter and verse, please?
I'm not going to tell you what the definition of Christianity is. I just believe it is relational, one on one, instead of a religious/political/organizational movement. Get with Christ and ask Him that question.