• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How closely are we connected?

Squirt

Okay, I'm going to try to explain something I have heard on a few occasions and found fascinating. I don't know how successful I'm going to be at doing so, but if you've also heard this, it may ring a bell with you. I've heard that each person in the world has some sort of connection with every other person in the world with just six links (or some other very small number). I'm not talking about a relationship (although SoyLeche's thread on how many of us are related made me think of this). It would work something like this:

1. I have a next-door neighbor.
2. That neighbor has a cousin who lives in California.
3. That cousin works with a man who immigrated to the U.S. from England.
4. When he was living in England, he worked at a market frequented by a young woman named Carol.
5. Carol's husband is on Queen Elizabeth's staff.
6. Queen Elizabeth was the late-Princess Diana's mother-in-law.

Therefore, there are a mere six links between me and Princess Diana.

If anybody has heard of this interesting little statistic, I'm looking for a website that discusses it in greater detail. I'd also like to find a website containing information as to how closely everyone in the world is related (as in being 20th cousins, etc.) Anybody know of one?

willything

ill go one for chuck norris. one of my early karate instructors was in a movie called the octogon ,starring chuck norris. so iv been punched by a guy who has been punched by mr norris.

Squirt

willything said:
ill go one for chuck norris. one of my early karate instructors was in a movie called the octogon ,starring chuck norris. so iv been punched by a guy who has been punched by mr norris.
Okay, that's the kind of thing I was looking for! Congratulations. :biglaugh: Not many people can say that. I know a lady who went to school with Charles Manson. And I know Sigourney Weaver's brother. Big deal, huh?