• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Christians feel about the cross

What significance does the symbol of the cross play in religion?

• The cross is a vital symbol of Christ's actual crucifixion and death.

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • The cross was adopted by Christians to symbolize Christ's death.

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • The cross as a Pagan or Christian symbol is irrelevant to me.

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Freedomelf

After reading many historical documents about the origins of the cross as a pagan religious symbol, (here is one such link for reference, although there are many more: http://www.sacred-texts.com/eso/sta/sta45.htm) I just wonder how Christians feel about the cross? Since so many other Christian traditions are a "takeoff" of pagan practice, such as Christmas being adopted in response to Saturnalia and other pagan feasts, I can't help but think that there must be Christians who believe that the cross story might have been adopted from earlier pagan texts as well.

Does it bother you to think that the cross was a pagan symbol before the time of Christ? Does it ever cause you to question whether the events of the Bible are based in fact or myth? And if you do believe that some are myths, does that make you any less of a Christian follower and believer? Or do you think this history was "planted" by Satan?

Please dont' get me wrong....I respect Christians, and don't want to denigrate the faith in any way. I just wonder if they accept that their symbol was a religious symbol long before Christianity started. Do you ever wonder about it? Or doesn't it bother you at all? Or do you think that it simply isn't true, and the Pagans are doctoring history? Or are the Christians doctoring history and squelching some of the stories? Or??

joeboonda

The cross is simply a symbol we use to remember that our sin has been paid in full by Christ's death. We don't worship it as an object, it is just a symbol, like the H on an automobile would represent Honda, nothing more, nothing less. Whether others used the symbol for other meanings is of no concern, be it a cross or an ankh, or what have you. It is an identifying symbol, others see it and know we believe in Christ, we see it and remember His great love He had for us to die and pay for all the sins of all the world once for all time. That's all it is really.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Freedomelf said:

Does it bother you to think that the cross was a pagan symbol before the time of Christ? Does it ever cause you to question whether the events of the Bible are based in fact or myth?
I have been aware that the cross was a pagan symbol for quite some time along with the practice of using Christmas trees and even dressing up for church on Sundays had it's origins in pagan practices. I am just on RF briefly right at the moment but you posted some intersting questions that I would like to get back to later.....but, I will say this for now about the symbol of the cross. According to the gospels, Christ was crucified. Some scholars speculate whether one's hands and feet where tied or nailed during crucification.. there is recent evidence showing the ankles being nailed at least some of the time. My point is that the arms were most likely splayed outwardly and the feet gathered together in a straight position. Not only this but the person was positioned upright while in a crucified position and affixed to a tree more than likely.........Sounds like a cross shape to me. So why would it NOT become a symbol of the death of Christ?

More later......thanks for the questions! :)

Freedomelf

thanks joe! I appreciate the response. May I ask if you believe that Christ actually died on a cross, or perhaps in some other way?

joeboonda

Freedomelf said:
thanks joe! I appreciate the response. May I ask if you believe that Christ actually died on a cross, or perhaps in some other way?

My Bible says He died on a cross. It uses the word 'cross' many times over in the NT, to describe this. Also, Jesus told Thomas to behold the print of the nails, plural in his hands, indicating a nail per hand, which to me would indicate a cross. That is what the word crucify would indicate, also. Not that it is essential to doctrine, if one trusts alone in the death of Christ to have paid for all their sins, then this is sufficient, for salvation is a free gift, Christ having paid the penalty of all the sins of all the world, once for all, and when we trust alone in Christ alone, at that moment, our sins are all paid for, all of them, past, present, future, for He died for all of them, and He imputes, or gives us His righteousness, (like a robe of righteousness), unto us in place of our own dead works of righteousness which are as filthy rags to God when it comes to salvation. We are saved by the free gift of grace, works to follow as a result, not to earn or keep salvation, for it is free, but apart from salvation for reward, and not only so, but out of love of our Saviour and what He did for us, and love for others. Okay, I rambled, lol!