• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How certain are you about your belief?

How certain are you about your Belief?

• My belief is based on my best guesses, so, most likely my Belief is true.

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • I feel certain that my Belief is absolutely true

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • I go with my heart, so, since my heart loves my Belief, it means it is true

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • I feel uncertain about my belief

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • I don't know what to believe really

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • I don't really care about having any Belief or disbelief

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • I know for a fact that my Belief is true

Votes: 2 7.7%

• Total voters

InvestigateTruth

Regardless what your religious belief, or faith is, including atheism even, my question for you is, how certain are you that your belief is certainly true?

Please choose an option closest.

This Poll is anonymous

danieldemol

Premium Member
I chose option 1.
In my view it is better to hold a belief formed in light of known facts tentatively since new facts may be discovered.

To me that is better than holding onto false beliefs with certainty.

In my opinion.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Regardless what your religious belief, or faith is, including atheism even, my question for you is, how certain are you that your belief is certainly true?

This Poll is anonymous

Well, I can't answer because your poll is based on a version of true, that I don't use.

My beliefs work for me. Whether they are true or not, I don't know for both cases. My certainty is only that my beliefs work for me.
That is truth as pragmatic. It works or rather makes sense to me as for a certainty in me.

InvestigateTruth

Well, I can't answer because your poll is based on a version of true, that I don't use.

My beliefs work for me. Whether they are true or not, I don't know for both cases. My certainty is only that my beliefs work for me.
That is truth as pragmatic. It works or rather makes sense to me as for a certainty in me.
Seems to me, your view is somewhat like option 1, no?

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member

This Poll is anonymous

belief about what?
I believe a great many things.
I'm more certain about some then about others.

The other day my son came home from school and had some trouble with some kid - the son of a friend I've known a long time.
He said something to my boy about his dad to show off in playground talk. I believe he was lying. His dad wouldn't do such a thing.
I'm pretty sure of that.

But I'm a lot less sure about that then I am about the prediction that if I let go of my keys, they'll fall to the ground and not shoot off in a random direction into space.

So... belief about what?

If you want to have a general answer about all my beliefs, then I guess it would have to be that for each thing that I believe, my certainty about that belief is proportionate to the verifiable evidence that supports it. The more evidence, the more certain.

InvestigateTruth

belief about what?
I believe a great many things.
I'm more certain about some then about others.

The other day my son came home from school and had some trouble with some kid - the son of a friend I've known a long time.
He said something to my boy about his dad to show off in playground talk. I believe he was lying. His dad wouldn't do such a thing.
I'm pretty sure of that.

But I'm a lot less sure about that then I am about the prediction that if I let go of my keys, they'll fall to the ground and not shoot off in a random direction into space.

So... belief about what?
I mean your belief about God(s) and religions.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I feel reasonably certain that there is little to no difference between your 2nd and last poll option. I'm far less certain that posting poll after poll after poll is the best way to improve you options list.

InvestigateTruth

I feel reasonably certain that there is little to no difference between your 2nd and last poll option. I'm far less certain that posting poll after poll after poll is the best way to improve you options list.
I see.
To me that was a trick.
There is a difference between knowing something for a fact, than just feeling certain... this one of closer to option 1, I would say..
Kindly participate and choose one :)
I just want to get a sense what kind of people we are dealing with in the world. :D

InvestigateTruth

I think the evidence is such that it justifies believing that "making up religions and gods" is just what humans do. It's a psychological byproduct of our evolutionary history.

I'm pretty sure of that. We see humans invent religions all the time, really.
OK, so how certain are you about this you are saying? That's the question in OP, and you can choose.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Do you mean, you have not come to a conclusion what to believe yet?
Then maybe option "I don't know what to believe really" is for you?
It's pretty arrogant to suggest what I mean. I meant exactly what I said. That if I have a belief, it's fluid until I have evidence. And that none of the choices fit my view.

I have no "belief" regarding any gods or religion.

vulcanlogician

I am an atheist. I chose "I am uncertain" because presumably this thread wants to deal with the "larger issues" about reality whose answers aren't obvious.

But there are many things about which I am fairly confident. Mundane things. "There is a coffee cup in front of me right now." I am a #1 or #2 about that belief. But other beliefs I have, I am not quite so certain of, but still pretty certain. "Smoking causes cancer" for instance.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
None of the options really is a match for me. I am reasonably confident that not all religious beliefs are correct - given that the poll is about such - since it is rather obvious that they all cannot be so. In essence, they all appear to have come from human minds alone. No particular religious belief appeals in any way (intellectually) as being more right than any other, apart from perhaps in any doctrine, so the only doubt I tend to have is in the existence of any creative force - which some might term as being God. But, like many others, my so-called beliefs are open to being modified by appropriate evidence.

Apostle John

“Go ahead, look up Revelation 6”
When personal evidence is overwhelming, belief can turn in to wisdom. I am 100% certain I am following the most positive outcome/way as a born again Christian.