• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How can you justify torturing someone forever?

tarasan

I guess if you define the word reject that way then that's fine. I would think that someone would have to acknowledge the existence of this concept or thing in order to reject it. "Reject" is just a word Christians liked using because it makes them build confidence in their own faith. They feel good knowing others "reject" the truth.

ohhh yes of course knowing that there are some people who wont know Jesus makes me feel sooooo Confident (sarcasm)

what Kind of monster do you think I am that I would feel good that people are going to hell?

thats just disgusting, you dont know my feelings at all but you accuse me of such a horrible horrible thing?

I think that accusation relfects more of you than me :149:

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
indeed well thats just the way it is :D

And you know this how? And others don't know because..........?

Mind you, I'm not trying to trap you. But understand that absolutism is a concept I reject, and with absolute certainty. :p

what Kind of monster do you think I am that I would feel good that people are going to hell?

thats just disgusting, you dont know my feelings at all but you accuse me of such a horrible horrible thing?

If you believe that god is good and that his actions are good, including torturing people for all eternity, then I would expect you to be happy about the idea that people will suffer for all eternity. I'm confused about how you really feel about eternal torment. And if you really do feel bad about it, why?

ShakeZula

The Master Shake
Horrific as Jesus' suffering was, others throughout history have been martyred in far more painful and torturous ways for their beliefs. It wasn't the biggest sacrifice that could have been given, especially noting that Jesus knew he was essentially God and therefore immortal, and therefore also knew that he would come back to life. He knew the pain would only be temporary. Others throughout history have gone to their deaths in worse ways for country or belief or the protection of their people, without knowing what would be on the other side.

Jebus had a bad weekend for your sins. Cancer patients can suffer months and years of unending agony and no one creates a religion for them.

-S-

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you
As I see it, torturing someone forever produces no good results. Torturing someone forever is the most evil thing imaginable. Nothing is worse than this. How do you reasonably justify torturing a being for all eternity? How do you reasonably justify the belief that a good god would do the most evil thing possible?

What if we were to interpret things less literally, especially in regards to space and time? Suppose for example, that "heaven" and "hell" are not places, but emotional states and mental perspectives; present not solely in an afterlife but also in the here and now:

Before becoming kind-hearted, good willed, attentive and compassionated, my mere existence was torture [for me, and anyone in my presence]. Living that way was hell already and no good could have survived in such state.
Once I'd encountered a higher form of consciousness however, everything about me changed and in time, so did the context of my life. Being from then on, is no longer painful; existing is not torture, but bliss.

I do not believe in a personal god, but "godliness" punishes and praises its egos non the less. This is nor right or wrong; it is simply inevitable.

Hermit

ellenjanuary

The only god is personal, unless you're reading an animus. Beyond the threshold of eternity is beauty for all.

Guaranteed. I just debugged the competition. :D

Twig pentagram

High Priest
As I see it, torturing someone forever produces no good results. Torturing someone forever is the most evil thing imaginable. Nothing is worse than this. How do you reasonably justify torturing a being for all eternity? How do you reasonably justify the belief that a good god would do the most evil thing possible?

There is no justification for torturing someone forever. I don't think there is a God that would do such a horrible act. I don't care what the bible or quran says about hell. I don't think it's real so therefore I don't think the bible or quran is the truth.

"If there's hell below. We're all going to go." Easy E

Eliot Wild

Irreverent Agnostic Jerk
A God All Mercy is a God Unjust....Why do we accept the good teachings but reject (if I can use that term) the harsh?

Good point. If God is perfectly just, then we should reasonably expect some sentence/punishment for our transgressions.

But isn't eternal torture a bit excessive for any offense? Not even history's most cruel and prolific muderers have committed acts that would warrant everlasting torture and torment. How can God justly sentence someone to eternal torture simply for refusing to follow him?

Forgive me for saying so, because I certainly mean no offense to anyone personally, but it seems to me that a belief in an eternity of torture for even the gravest of offenses is totally irrational. It is absolutely absurd.

But also, the post quoted above brings to my mind another point about God's proposed perfect nature as well. It seems to me that the very notion of a God that is perfect in all aspects is a bit absurd.

The quoted post is correct to imply if God is perfect, then he must be perfectly just. But if God is perfect in all aspects, wouldn't he also be perfectly merciful? Perfectly compassionate? Perfectly forgiving? Again, these aspects of God's character seem to conflict with one another, thereby implying there is absurdity in the notion of a God perfect in all aspects. To me, It is as absurd and as impossible as the concept of a circular square.

Last edited:

wmjbyatt

Lunatic from birth
There is also theology that says that after the End Times, after Armageddon, when all of mankind is dead and taken into either Heaven or Hell, Hell itself will slowly shrink as the sinners repent and make due, until there are no souls left in Hell and Parinirvana (or whatever the hell Christians wanna call it) has been attained by all. This particular Prophecy fits in a lot better with the New Testament God, and has decent support in Revelation. Or so I'm told by people who study this kind of thing.

Comicaze247

See the previous line
They deserve it.
Why?
'Cause "God" says so. That's why.
Wanna make something of it?
Talk to him about it. Just pray. No, really, he's listening. He just sends you messages that you can't see.
Don't believe in him?
Then you deserve it.
Why?
'Cause "God says so. That's why.
Talk to him about it. Just pray. No, really, he's listening. He just sends you messages that you can't see.
Don't believe in him?
|: Then you deserve it.
Why?

:| <----- (repeat, for non-music nerds)

tarasan

They deserve it.
Why?
'Cause "God" says so. That's why.
Don't believe in him?
Then you deserve it.
Why?
Don't believe in him?
|: Then you deserve it.
Why?

:| <----- (repeat, for non-music nerds)

well if you cant accept that well all deserve it thats fine, but thats how it is mate

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Good point. If God is perfectly just, then we should reasonably expect some sentence/punishment for our transgressions.
God is perfectly good and perfectly loving. Therein is found perfect justice. It's a justice that mitigates, forgives and is radically hospitable to all. It's parabolic. God's kingdom runs counter to what we think. it turns our own sense of justice on its head and chooses, instead to accept humannity as it is.

tarasan

For you perhaps.
I, however, have outgrown my need for imaginary friends.

believe what you want it doesnt bother me.

I can never be 100% sure that I have stumbled upon the truth, I however will not dilute what it says especailly something so important as hell, because if I say it doesnt exist then I am a lier and I dam everyone that I convince.

I would rather speak what my religion teaches and stand up for what it says is true than be a coward who hids behind misquoted scriptures.

Last edited:

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
believe what you want it doesnt bother me.

I can never be 100% sure that I have stumbled upon the truth, I however will not dilute what it says especailly something so important as hell, because if I say it doesnt exist then I am a lier and I dam everyone that I convince.

I would rather speak what my religion teaches and stand up for what it says is true than be a coward who hids behind misquoted scriptures.
Who is misquoting scripture?

Wannabe Yogi

you want me to be frank?

because you chose it, every human being has turned away from God willingly, everyone who is going to hell CHOSE to go to hell, they CHOSE to reject him, and being angry at God for your choice is a little sad, its like blaming the police for going to jail.

And who said God was going to toture you? alot of christians believe he will just leave you alone with the knowledge that you rejected him, and his perfect love, and cut you off from him, which is what you wanted your entire life, which of course will cause you to suffer, others yes believe you will burn, but only because YOU ran into the flames, others think youll merely be destroyed, and forgotten.

all these fates are of your choosing, you chose to suffer and you don't have anyone else to blame, you can get angry and yell its not fair, but you chose it, not God.

This is what I call thinking is a vacuum. Lets look at the real world. People who or born into Christian families become Christian. People born into a Muslim family for the most part stays Muslim. God must predestine some to go to heaven because he gives them much greater odds to find him. Others see nothing but Christians that are in no way better then anybody of any other faith. They have the same divorce rate. Just as likely to be child molesters. In fact there are a greater proportion of Christians in American Jails then the population at large. Why would God send people to hell because they are not Christians when the reality of the situation christians are no better then anybody.