1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured How can you accept evolution and still have a spiritual reality, and/or a God faith

Discussion in 'Evolution Vs. Creationism' started by osgart, Jun 25, 2018.

1. Subduction Zone

Subduction Zone Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +13,032
    Religion:
    Atheist
    I am sorry, but nothing that @Deeje posts is "well said". Perhaps instead of getting frustrated you should try to learn why we know that you are wrong. You tipped your hand that you were not exactly forthcoming about your biology education, or you were beyond being dishonest when you tried to describe evolution earlier. You may have had very poor teachers, or you may have been a very poor student. It is rather obvious that you never understood a rather simple theory.

Your first step should be to realize that "change of kind" is a creationist strawman. There is no change of kind in evolution. Like it or not you are still an ape.

2. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +13,032
    Religion:
    Atheist
    If you want to call an amoral event "God" that is a pretty vague redefinition of God.

3. rrobs

rrobs Active Member

Ratings:
    +212
    Religion:
    Christian
    The serpent, like the rest of us, had free will. God thought it good to give him free will as opposed to making him, and us, robotic. In other words, free will is a good. It's like the story of letting a bird go free. If it loves you it will return on it's own.

By the way, the Bible, like most literature, uses figures of speech. Figures of speech are precise usages of words that are not true to fact, but emphasize the point being made by the writer. Normally when someone says, "that guy is a real snake in the grass" it doesn't literately that the guy is a real snake. We all know what it means because we all know it is a figure of speech and not meant to be taken word for word. A figure of speech is used to catch the reader's attention and make them thing about what was said.

I used the example of a snake in the grass. That should give you a clue as to the real nature of the serpent. For one thing, snakes don't talk. I think some non-Christians use that verse to show how stupid God is for making a snake talk. Well, God understands figures of speech. It's the naysayers who lack understanding. There are other places in the Bible that clearly show who the serpent was. It just takes a bit of honest research to ferret it out.

4. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +13,032
    Religion:
    Atheist
    And the Bible uses other literary tools.

Why can't Genesis merely be a series of morality tales? If you understood the evidence you would understand that you are claiming that God lied. Morality tales and fables are not lying. That gives you an out. Your God would still be honest.

• Like Like x 1
  5. rrobs

rrobs Active Member

Ratings:
    +212
    Religion:
    Christian
    That's an absolute, written in the stars or something?
    You know nothing, and you won't until you come to the knowledge of the truth in God's word.
    I lied about college biology? What are you, some kind of seer?
    Sweeping statement with no validity.
    You still don't understand what I said.
    Sticks and stones will break my bones, but names will never hurt me.

6. rrobs

rrobs Active Member

Ratings:
    +212
    Religion:
    Christian
    I wasn't born with the knowledge of God's word. Somebody had to tell me.

When I was taught about the scriptures I spent hour after hour, sometimes years, researching the things I was told. Given that you spent a couple of minutes looking at what I said, I'd say I'm way more qualified to judge whether God lied or not. As little as you are sure I know about science, you don't even know .00000000001% of that about the Bible.

7. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +13,032
    Religion:
    Atheist
    A statement from experience.

Please, just because you may lack knowledge, that does not mean that others do.
    Wow! Talk about not paying attention. Your own posts betrayed you, or were you simply being dishonest in your posts?

You really have no clue on how to use logical fallacies. The validation is in the post. If you did not rudely break it up excessively you would have seen it.

Yes, I did.

I did not call you names. That you are an ape is a fact. Just as you are a primate. And a mammal. And a tetrapod. And a vertebrate. And a Chordate. And a eukaryote. Oddly enough you will probably only deny two of these.

If telling you that you are an ape is "name calling" then by definition calling you a human being is "name calling" too.

8. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +13,032
    Religion:
    Atheist
    That knowledge is still lacking. And no, since you are the one that claims that God lied you are hardly in a position to judge. You simply do not understand how you made that statement. You are too ignorant of the science that you hate to do so.

You, like many amateurs, rely far too much on confirmation bias when it comes to the scriptures. You need to look outside of the narrow window of the Bible if you want to claim that it is anything more than a book of myths. If there is any truth in the Bible it has to apply to the real world. You do not seem to like the real world.

9. rrobs

rrobs Active Member

Ratings:
    +212
    Religion:
    Christian
    Oh good! I'm not an idiot. I'm merely wrong. Thanks for your astute observations. I need someone to tell me what I think.

10. rrobs

rrobs Active Member

Ratings:
    +212
    Religion:
    Christian
    What are you talking about?

11. rrobs

rrobs Active Member

Ratings:
    +212
    Religion:
    Christian
    Again, while you think you know what the Bible says, you really don't. You may know what other people say about the Bible, but you don't know the Bible from your own study. So why do you keep talking like you did do your own study and came up with your own conclusions about it? You a just parroting pretty much what all non-believers say. As such, your opinion carries no weight at all.

Pretty much all Christians started out like yourself. But God is able to work with the most stubborn individuals and make them into wonderful children of God. You could be next. That is my prayer for you in any case.

I apologize for any nasty things I've said to you. I don't have the patience of Job, so I sometimes go off when I shouldn't. You should have known me when I was younger. Talk about a temper! I've come a long way. A knowledge of scripture tames even the worst temper anybody could ever have. It does much more than that.

12. exchemist

exchemist Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,412
    Religion:
    RC (culturally at least)
    I realise Genesis 2:7 says God "breathed life" into Man but where does it say God breathed life into the animals? And what about plants? I don't see anything there describing the process by which these came to live. Can you direct me to a verse?

13. rrobs

rrobs Active Member

Ratings:
    +212
    Religion:
    Christian
    I gave a quick and dirty version. Here's a link that goes into it a bit more:
    The New Birth: Spirit, Soul, and Body ~ Pictures of Silver

Hope that helps. If not, let me know.

14. exchemist

exchemist Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,412
    Religion:
    RC (culturally at least)
    It doesn't. It seems to focus entirely on Man and his soul. I don't see anything about animals and plants, or the origin of life itself, here that precludes the scientific view. If you think it does, you will have to explain it to me.

15. MonkeyFire

MonkeyFire Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +140
    Religion:
    Faithful Jesus believer
    Adam and Eve went to devolve.

16. metis

metis aged ecumenical anthropologist

Ratings:
    +11,796
    Religion:
    Catholic-- liberal & ecumenical
    Actually the RCC isn't, especially since it has an almost 2000 year history that traces back to the apostles.

All religions are not static-- they're dynamic, largely because of two reasons: 1.times change so periodic adjustments have to be made, and 2.there are things done in the early church that were not written down in the scriptures or needed to be clarified since they may be too vague. Ideas as to what Jesus was vis-a-vis God is just one sticky-wicky that the Church had to try and deal with. Needless to say, there was much more.

The Church simply is not just made up of the Bible, and it was the CC that actually selected the canon of the Bible that you use.

17. oldbadger

oldbadger Skanky Old Mongrel!

Ratings:
    +4,038
    Religion:
    deist
    OK..... I guess that is true, but that concept that God is the 'reason for all' sure can corner the gainsayers.

Of course, being a Deist, my concept of God is different from that of Theists. :)

18. metis

metis aged ecumenical anthropologist

Ratings:
    +11,796
    Religion:
    Catholic-- liberal & ecumenical
    But a "Deist" is still a "theist"?

19. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +13,032
    Religion:
    Atheist
    I probably understand your book of myths better than you do. You handicap yourself by demanding that obviously fictional parts be read literally. Your approach to understanding the Bible was flawed from the beginning.

I was a Christian, the reason that I no longer am one is at least partially due to a proper study of the Bible. You appear unable to do the same.

We are all imperfect. Not to worry too much.

20. Audie

Audie Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +5,305
    Religion:
    None
    Really. You know that "any" scientist can be forced
    to reluctantly confess that there is a god.

You simply made that up.
    Or you are thinking of the Inquisition?

Not that your quip in any way addresses the
    fact that there is not one datum point ever
    detected that supports any sott of "god",
    which as always, is just speculation.

As for "reason" = "god", I have seen assertions,
    seen equivocation, but that is a champion.