• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How can we know if the Abrhamic God Is the one true God?

J2hapydna

Daniel, for example -perfectly accurate prophecy of succession of world-ruling kingdoms, etc. -much prophecy already fulfilled. Great guy -but what does "accepting" him have to do with anything?

Daniel is good, but vague. His prophecies could apply to any number of world events.

Please give us a chapter with a list of clearly described events that Daniel prophesied that verifiably came true after the prophecy was made and can't be confused with any other events in history

Last edited:

J2hapydna

Daniel, for example -perfectly accurate prophecy of succession of world-ruling kingdoms, etc. -much prophecy already fulfilled. Great guy -but what does "accepting" him have to do with anything?

Isaiah's prophecy in chapter 19, describes a savior who would come at that time. So if All those things came true in his age then guess what that makes MP? Similarly if Matt 24 describes a son of man coming when those things happen and MP is the one who comes and does those things then guess what that makes MP?

Like I said Daniels prophecy is vague. There is no "perfectly accurate" prophecy of succession of world ruling kingdoms made by him

Last edited:

J2hapydna

The problem with Daniel is that we cannot prove when he wrote those early period prophecies in which he appears to get the details right. His prophesies about the later period after the Greeks documented what the Jews believ d are vague. Also at no point does he seem to suggest that the wait for the messiah, establishing the temple and the kingdom would be 2,600 years.

Last edited:

gnostic

The Lost One
First if anyone was killed for that purpose it would not be murder.
Second, that verse is not to be taken literally, but spiritually for the following reasons:

Ezk 18:32 - God takes no pleasure in the death of anyone who dies...
2 Pet 3:9 & 1 Tim 2:4 - It is not God's will that any should perish

God is not going to command something that is not His will and gives Him no pleasure.
And yet god commanded King Saul (through Samuel) to commit genocide against the Amalekites, not for what the Amalekites did to the Israelites in Saul's days, but what Amalekite ancestors did Moses' days.

Moses and Joshua had already led the Israelites to victory, defeating the Amalekites in battle, so why would a God hold grudges against the descendants, centuries later?

God had no trouble in ordering for killing women and children, even infants, for something they never did.

1 Samuel 15:1-3 said:
[1] … Samuel said to Saul, “I am the one the Lord sent to anoint you king over his people Israel; so listen now to the message from the Lord. [2] This is what the Lord Almighty says: 'I will punish the Amalekites for what they did to Israel when they waylaid them as they came up from Egypt. [3] Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy a all that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys.’”

That's not god you have described and quoted from Ezekiel and 2 Peter and Timothy. 1 Samuel 15 certainly described a god that have no problem commanding for genocide.

Christians are often horrified that in Matthew 2, where Herod the Great the slaughter of every boys age 2 or younger, in Bethlehem, and yet I don't see Christians complaining about massacring children and infants in 1 Samuel 15.

gnostic

The Lost One
In Exodus 20, in one of the commandments was:
Exodus 20:4-6 said:
[4] “You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. [5] You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, [6] but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments. …

The question would be, if no other gods exist, then why would the one true God be "jealous" over other gods that don't exist?

J2hapydna

Let me give you another example of how Daniel's vagueness can be manipulated. We all know Daniel said that the return would begin 490 years after the destruction of Jerusalem. We also know that the second Jewish rebellion was crushed by the Romans in 138 CE after which the Jews were expelled, the temple destroyed and Judea was renamed Palestine. So add 490 years to 138 CE and we get 628 CE. - the year MP invited Heraclius to make peace as he had Najashi in the Axumite Empire. After the offer is rejected MP began the assault.

Holy Prophet Muhammad’s Letters to various Kings

Battle of Mu'tah - Wikipedia

J2hapydna

And yet god commanded King Saul (through Samuel) to commit genocide against the Amalekites, not for what the Amalekites did to the Israelites in Saul's days, but what Amalekite ancestors did Moses' days.

Moses and Joshua had already led the Israelites to victory, defeating the Amalekites in battle, so why would a God hold grudges against the descendants, centuries later?

God had no trouble in ordering for killing women and children, even infants, for something they never did.

That's not god you have described and quoted from Ezekiel and 2 Peter and Timothy. 1 Samuel 15 certainly described a god that have no problem commanding for genocide.

Christians are often horrified that in Matthew 2, where Herod the Great the slaughter of every boys age 2 or younger, in Bethlehem, and yet I don't see Christians complaining about massacring children and infants in 1 Samuel 15.

In that age, wouldn't there have been prophets who could share miracles and prophecies with them and guide them? So Amelkites had a fair opportunity to learn and correct their ways. However they chose to continue practicing their extremism, So God's patience ran out. I believe these were cruel people who had sex with infants, performed child and virgin / human sacrifices etc

Also, I think if there were any reasonable people living among the Amelkites they would have been warned and told to escape before the attack

Also, it isn't like the Jews were sitting in beachfront houses, bossing everyone else as the chosen people. They have been punished for their transgressions too. So we can't really say the biblical god was playing favorites with them can we?

gnostic

The Lost One
However they chose to continue practicing their extremism, So God's patience ran out. I believe these were cruel people who had sex with infants, performed child and virgin / human sacrifices etc
I have never seen any of these claims you have made (highlighted in red), found in the Exodus, Numbers, Judges or in 1 Samuel 15.

Sources, please. Can you provide sources or evidences for such claims?

Exodus 17 doesn't even provide any context as to why the Amalekites would attack the Israelites in the first place.

Could the attack be due to Israelites trekking in or close to the land of the Amalekites? Which to me the most likely cause of the attack.

The Romans used to this propaganda all the time, claiming their enemies perform human sacrifices to justify invading and annexing enemy's territories.

And right now, you are justifying the slaughter of every Amalekites, including children and babies, but you accuse the Amalekites have been "having sex with infants".

Tell me, J2hapydna, can really say to me that molesting babies are bad (which it is very bad), but slaughtering babies are not bad?

I don't like your insane logic or your moral compass at all. But that not the worse part of it. The worse part of it, is that you think God is "right" in slaughtering women, children and infants, and you are justifying it.

Kelly of the Phoenix

In that age, wouldn't there have been prophets who could share miracles and prophecies with them and guide them? So Amelkites had a fair opportunity to learn and correct their ways. However they chose to continue practicing their extremism, So God's patience ran out. I believe these were cruel people who had sex with infants, performed child and virgin / human sacrifices etc
I would need archaeological evidence. Too many people demonize others when trying to justify killing them all, usually for self-serving reasons.

omega2xx

That doesn't change God's purpose. The Amalekites offered the children in fire to their God's. Killing them all would not only eliminate that practice, it would keep the Israelites from adopting this practice and many times the Jews were influenced the the rituals of the pagan people they conquored.

]Moses and Joshua had already led the Israelites to victory, defeating the Amalekites in battle, so why would a God hold grudges against the descendants, centuries later?

For the reasons I just mentioned

So you are alright with a people who offered their children by fire to their false gods. That seems worse to me than what you are accusing kGod of doing.

I didn't quote those verses.

If you don't accept the God of the OT completely, you need to consider worshiping Molech. You remind me of why God told Job andout his accusations of God---Will you really annul My judgment" Will you condemn Me, that you may be justified(Job 40:8).

Then change God's.

Tell God have evil He is not me.

<<

Maybe they accept that God's ways are not our ways and accept that they don't know God's reasons for such actions, but trust that He always does the best thing. Evidently you have become omniscient and know His reasons and so you are right to condemn Him.

J2hapydna

The first point I made is that these people had prophets who were constantly performing miracles. Did Herod perform miracles? Did the Romans? Has anyone in the modern age?

So we are talking about people who saw these miracles and still decided they had a need to let the priest have sex with their infants in the worship of a fertility god and sacrifice virgins. As well as act brutally towards the stranger

Secondly, in the case of the Amelkites, the Kenites among them were allowed to leave. So, they were given generations of time and opportunity to learn witness and change and not do what they did in the days of Moses, right up until the last day.

Last edited:

J2hapydna

I would need archaeological evidence. Too many people demonize others when trying to justify killing them all, usually for self-serving reasons.

Fair enough, more importantly, i think we would all like to see archaeological evidence that Moses and the prophets did what the Bible says they did. So I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm simply sharing what I understand from my reading of the Bible.

gnostic

The Lost One
So we are talking about people who saw these miracles and still decided they had a need to let the priest have sex with their infants in the worship of a fertility god and sacrifice virgins.
Again, I ask you for sources, for what you are claiming.

Do you have sources or evidences?

I did not find any mention of human sacrifice or molestation of infants in the bible. Because you seem to be pretty sure of your claims, then you must have evidences to back it up, because your claims don't exist in the bible.

gnostic

The Lost One
So you are alright with a people who offered their children by fire to their false gods. That seems worse to me than what you are accusing kGod of doing.
Sorry, but I didn't find any direct references to Amalekites what you are claiming they might have done.

The references to throwing children into fire, as sacrifice, were Moses telling them what the Canaanites allegedly did, not the Amalekites.

J2hapydna

Again, I ask you for sources, for what you are claiming.

Do you have sources or evidences?

I did not find any mention of human sacrifice or molestation of infants in the bible. Because you seem to be pretty sure of your claims, then you must have evidences to back it up, because your claims don't exist in the bible.

Jeremiah 32:35: "And they built the high places of Baal, which are in the valley of the son of Hinnom, to cause their sons and their daughters to pass through the fire unto Molech; which I commanded them not, neither came it into my mind, that they should do this abomination, to cause Judah to sin."

Leviticus 20:2-3 "Say to the Israelites: 'Any Israelite or any foreigner residing in Israel who sacrifices any of his children to Molek is to be put to death. The members of the community are to stone him.I myself will set my face against him and will cut him off from his people; for by sacrificing his children to Molek, he has defiled my sanctuary and profaned my holy name.

Leviticus 18:21 "And thou shalt not let any of thy seed pass through the fire to Molech, neither shalt thou profane the name of thy God: I am the LORD."

Deuteronomy 12:31 "You shall not behave thus toward the LORD your God, for every abominable act which the LORD hates they have done for their gods; for they even burn their sons and daughters in the fire to their gods.

Last edited:

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
I was working on my next post for the Bible reading, I had finished now and although I normally just type it all out at once this one I decided would be better to sum up in one longer post. While doing this the thought popped into my head and so I thought I would ask. How can we know if the Abrahamic God is the one true God?

The Bible: most popular, influential, widely read book in the history of humanity.

.. pretty big drop off after #1!