• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How can we know if the Abrhamic God Is the one true God?

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
I was working on my next post for the Bible reading, I had finished now and although I normally just type it all out at once this one I decided would be better to sum up in one longer post. While doing this the thought popped into my head and so I thought I would ask. How can we know if the Abrahamic God is the one true God?

You can't the Abrahamic God wants you to have faith. The Abrahamic God claims to be The truth, The light and The word. It makes sense, if you love someone you give them your faith. You don't constantly seek the truth of what they did or are doing.

Kapalika

Premium Member
This question is written in a way that presumes that one already believes so. It doesn't justify why anyone would presume to ask the question in the first place.

I don't think there is sufficient evidence to prove that the Abrahamic god exists, much less talk about if he is the "true" one. And since I'm not convinced he exists (at least in any way I am currently aware of that an Abrahamic would believe it), I can't argue for or against him being the "true" one.

This also doesn't clarify what "true" means. The true creator? The actual god among a pretender of lesser entities? Or the right god for a certain people or region to worship, as was the original meaning of "true" god in the Jewish lore?

If you like a god that likes to murder people, than the Abrahamic god is for you.

How moral something is isn't an indication of it's truthfulness. Just because Stalin killed a bunch of people and many looked up to him as a flawless hero doesn't mean he didn't exist, even as immoral as he might of been.

Likewise, your argument against the existence of an Abrahamic god should be evidence based and not based on moral arguments. If such a god is moral or not is another question that wasn't part of the OP's intended discussion.

J2hapydna

Tell them how Muhammad the prophet (MP) was promised in the Bible and did everything God said he would do

Quran 6:20

الَّذِينَ آتَيْنَاهُمُ الْكِتَابَ يَعْرِفُونَهُ كَمَا يَعْرِفُونَ أَبْنَاءَهُمُ ۘ الَّذِينَ خَسِرُوا أَنفُسَهُمْ فَهُمْ لَا يُؤْمِنُونَ
Those to whom We have given the Scripture (Bible) recognize it (MP's ministry) as they recognize their [own] sons. Those who will lose themselves [in the Hereafter] do not believe.

Prestor John

I was working on my next post for the Bible reading, I had finished now and although I normally just type it all out at once this one I decided would be better to sum up in one longer post. While doing this the thought popped into my head and so I thought I would ask. How can we know if the Abrahamic God is the one true God?
Read the Book of Mormon and follow its counsel to pray if what you read is true.

The Book of Mormon promises that you do so with sincerity and no hypocrisy that the Holy Spirit of the Lord will testify to your mind and heart that it is true.

If the Book of Mormon is true, then the God of Abraham is the one true God.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
How can we know if the Abrahamic God is the one true God?

You can only know he is the true God for you, not for anyone else. If you believe he is, then he is. And when I say "true God", I mean his representation. To me there is only one God, but not as depicted by the Abrahamic religions and representations. Everyone sees God in their own way.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

While my knowledge of argumentation justifying adherence to the one-god of these traditions is rather cursory, it's my impression that there have been two approaches historically. The first is faith, whether blind or otherwise, such as in some external authority like scriptures or priests. The second is logical argumentation that rests upon granting certain premises. I would likely not be the best person to elaborate upon either of those in detail, but I can give a rather unorthodox (for Westerners anyway) perspective for consideration.

To me, the phrase "true god" is a rather strange one. In my tradition, it means something very different than I suspect it means to the followers of the one-god. I would say that one's "true gods" are "true" because they are an accurate reflection of your values. That is, the things you call "gods" are truly a focus of worship and adoration in your life. I notice it is not uncommon for the things people call their gods to not really be that focus. I would say that if you call something your "gods" but they are not a centerpiece of values and worth in your life, they are "false gods" for you.

You can't.

/Thread

J2hapydna

Here is what a reasonable objective student thinks and expects:

I think that if I heard a voice from the sky predicting all that was going to happen to me during the next twenty-four hours, including events that would have seemed highly improbable, and if all these events then produced to happen, I might perhaps be convinced at least of the existence of some superhuman intelligence. I can imagine other evidence of the same sort which might convince me, but so far as I know, no such evidence exists.

So find the date on which the oldest existing Bible was written. Then just show your students everything that has happened since that date and tell them only God of the Bible could have known and clearly written them in the Bible

I'm sure you can find something that has actually happened. after all it has been 2,000 years - a reasonable amount of time by any standard to make something happen that was suppose to happen

Otherwise you could always do what all snake oil salesmen do, promise the kids these things are about to happen and tell them to pay up now (tithes) or they will miss the opportunity. Then if you can get enough of them to believe you, you can create a net-work of like minded believers who give each other unfair advantage in getting jobs etc and prevent non believers from getting those jobs as they wait for those things to happen that never do.

You could also look at the lives of Bahaullah, Ahmad Qadian, Joseph Smith, Muhammad the Prophet etc to see if they did what the Bible said. However it wouldn't be financially as lucrative

Last edited:

Etritonakin

God will make himself known as he has seen fit -but his commandments can be known to be true by the good they cause and will cause.

Isa 45:15 Verily thou art a God that hidest thyself, O God of Israel, the Saviour.

Eze 37:13 And ye shall know that I am the LORD, when I have opened your graves, O my people, and brought you up out of your graves,
Eze 37:14 And shall put my spirit in you, and ye shall live, and I shall place you in your own land: then shall ye know that I the LORD have spoken it, and performed it, saith the LORD.

Joh 6:44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

Isa 40:4 Every valley shall be exalted, and every mountain and hill shall be made low: and the crooked shall be made straight, and the rough places plain:
Isa 40:5 And the glory of the LORD shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it.

Exo 6:7 And I will take you to me for a people, and I will be to you a God: and ye shall know that I am the LORD your God, which bringeth you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians.

Eze 12:15 And they shall know that I am the LORD, when I shall scatter them among the nations, and disperse them in the countries.

Eze 39:27 When I have brought them again from the people, and gathered them out of their enemies' lands, and am sanctified in them in the sight of many nations;
Eze 39:28 Then shall they know that I am the LORD their God, which caused them to be led into captivity among the heathen: but I have gathered them unto their own land, and have left none of them any more there.
Eze 39:29 Neither will I hide my face any more from them: for I have poured out my spirit upon the house of Israel, saith the Lord GOD.

Rev 1:6 And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.
Rev 1:7 Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen.
Rev 1:8 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.

soulsurvivor

Premium Member
No one can 'know' for sure if the Abrahamic God is the One true God. If it was possible to know such a thing, then we would all become jews or at least unitarians.

However, even if were possible to 'know' or 'prove' such a thing, it is very doubtful that an angry, jealous, vengeful and violent God like the one described in the OT is the One 'true' God.

Etritonakin

Here is what a reasonable objective student thinks and expects:

I think that if I heard a voice from the sky predicting all that was going to happen to me during the next twenty-four hours, including events that would have seemed highly improbable, and if all these events then produced to happen, I might perhaps be convinced at least of the existence of some superhuman intelligence. I can imagine other evidence of the same sort which might convince me, but so far as I know, no such evidence exists.

Actually, men have the ability to determine and declare that sort of thing quite accurately -and even to plan your day.

God declared human history -in great detail -before it happened. It is written in the bible -but it takes some research.

The parts in bold are the present situation -the rest will also happen. When it does, many will know.
If it does not, that particular "God" would be false.

Zec 12:1 The burden of the word of the LORD for Israel, saith the LORD, which stretcheth forth the heavens, and layeth the foundation of the earth, and formeth the spirit of man within him.
Zec 12:2 Behold, I will make Jerusalem a cup of trembling unto all the people round about, when they shall be in the siege both against Judah and against Jerusalem.
Zec 12:3 And in that day will I make Jerusalem a burdensome stone for all people: all that burden themselves with it shall be cut in pieces, though all the people of the earth be gathered together against it.
Zec 12:4 In that day, saith the LORD, I will smite every horse with astonishment, and his rider with madness: and I will open mine eyes upon the house of Judah, and will smite every horse of the people with blindness.
Zec 12:5 And the governors of Judah shall say in their heart, The inhabitants of Jerusalem shall be my strength in the LORD of hosts their God.
Zec 12:6 In that day will I make the governors of Judah like an hearth of fire among the wood, and like a torch of fire in a sheaf; and they shall devour all the people round about, on the right hand and on the left: and Jerusalem shall be inhabited again in her own place, even in Jerusalem.
Zec 12:7 The LORD also shall save the tents of Judah first, that the glory of the house of David and the glory of the inhabitants of Jerusalem do not magnify themselves against Judah.
Zec 12:8 In that day shall the LORD defend the inhabitants of Jerusalem; and he that is feeble among them at that day shall be as David; and the house of David shall be as God, as the angel of the LORD before them.
Zec 12:9 And it shall come to pass in that day, that I will seek to destroy all the nations that come against Jerusalem.

Zec 14:2 For I will gather all nations against Jerusalem to battle; and the city shall be taken, and the houses rifled, and the women ravished; and half of the city shall go forth into captivity, and the residue of the people shall not be cut off from the city.
Zec 14:3 Then shall the LORD go forth, and fight against those nations, as when he fought in the day of battle.
Zec 14:4 And his feet shall stand in that day upon the mount of Olives, which is before Jerusalem on the east, and the mount of Olives shall cleave in the midst thereof toward the east and toward the west, and there shall be a very great valley; and half of the mountain shall remove toward the north, and half of it toward the south.
Zec 14:5 And ye shall flee to the valley of the mountains; for the valley of the mountains shall reach unto Azal: yea, ye shall flee, like as ye fled from before the earthquake in the days of Uzziah king of Judah: and the LORD my God shall come, and all the saints with thee.
Zec 14:6 And it shall come to pass in that day, that the light shall not be clear, nor dark:
Zec 14:7 But it shall be one day which shall be known to the LORD, not day, nor night: but it shall come to pass, that at evening time it shall be light.
Zec 14:8 And it shall be in that day, that living waters shall go out from Jerusalem; half of them toward the former sea, and half of them toward the hinder sea: in summer and in winter shall it be.
Zec 14:9 And the LORD shall be king over all the earth: in that day shall there be one LORD, and his name one.
Zec 14:10 All the land shall be turned as a plain from Geba to Rimmon south of Jerusalem: and it shall be lifted up, and inhabited in her place, from Benjamin's gate unto the place of the first gate, unto the corner gate, and from the tower of Hananeel unto the king's winepresses.
Zec 14:11 And men shall dwell in it, and there shall be no more utter destruction; but Jerusalem shall be safely inhabited.
Zec 14:12 And this shall be the plague wherewith the LORD will smite all the people that have fought against Jerusalem; Their flesh shall consume away while they stand upon their feet, and their eyes shall consume away in their holes, and their tongue shall consume away in their mouth.
Zec 14:13 And it shall come to pass in that day, that a great tumult from the LORD shall be among them; and they shall lay hold every one on the hand of his neighbour, and his hand shall rise up against the hand of his neighbour.
Zec 14:14 And Judah also shall fight at Jerusalem; and the wealth of all the heathen round about shall be gathered together, gold, and silver, and apparel, in great abundance.
Zec 14:15 And so shall be the plague of the horse, of the mule, of the camel, and of the ***, and of all the beasts that shall be in these tents, as this plague.
Zec 14:16 And it shall come to pass, that every one that is left of all the nations which came against Jerusalem shall even go up from year to year to worship the King, the LORD of hosts, and to keep the feast of tabernacles.
Zec 14:17 And it shall be, that whoso will not come up of all the families of the earth unto Jerusalem to worship the King, the LORD of hosts, even upon them shall be no rain.

Deidre

Maybe the feeling comes to a person that the God they worship is the ''one, true God,'' based on his/her experiences in life, and if he/she feels a sense of peace?

J2hapydna

Actually, men have the ability to determine and declare that sort of thing quite accurately -and even to plan your day.

Then go ahead and tell me what is about to happen in my day today.

By the way, this is a quote of Bertrand Russell, I didn't just make it up. So I suggest you take a careful second look at what it says.

jonathan180iq

Psychic.jpg