• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How can we help fight the fires in the Amazon? The UN?

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
I've read the fires were set deliberately.

I've heard similar.

So, we all share the same fragile planet. My thought is that we should all pitch in to save the Amazon, and that we should all subsidize the countries in which it lies. They are stewards of a region that's essential for all of us to survive.

sooda

Veteran Member
I've heard similar.

So, we all share the same fragile planet. My thought is that we should all pitch in to save the Amazon, and that we should all subsidize the countries in which it lies. They are stewards of a region that's essential for all of us to survive.

I agree with you.. but will that work?

shmogie

I wouldn
Lots of big fires in the Amazon right now. It would appear that the governments in the affected areas are in way over their heads. Could the UN mobilize to help fight these fires?

New fires in Brazil's Amazon as army mobilises to fight blazes
I would not trust the UN to do anything. They would have to have years of BS before any action.

Much better would be an ad hoc coalition of nations who can help, and can take decisive action.

The big problem is the nations where the fires are occurring. Brazil, for example, considers the fires as totally an internal Brazilian problem, and no one else´s business.

Should we invade so we can fight the fires ?

shmogie

Lots of big fires in the Amazon right now. It would appear that the governments in the affected areas are in way over their heads. Could the UN mobilize to help fight these fires?

I would not trust the UN to do anything. They would have to have years of BS before any action.

Much better would be an ad hoc coalition of nations who can help, and can take decisive action.

The big problem is the nations where the fires are occurring. Brazil, for example, considers the fires as totally an internal Brazilian problem, and no one else´s business.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member

Instead of invading, what if we bribed them: Hey Brazil, the world will give you lots of money every year if you put out these fires and protect the rain forest.

I've read on several websites that the Amazon is burning because ranchers need more pasture land to supply the world's demand for beef. The majority going to China (24%) and Hong Kong (11%). Only 2% going to the U.S.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
The Pope is calling for prayers to stop the fires in the Amazon, for whatever good that might do.

Pope calls for global commitment to put out Amazon fires - Reuters

“We are all worried about the vast fires that have developed in the Amazon. Let us pray so that with the commitment of all, they can be put out soon. That lung of forests is vital for our planet,” he told thousands of people in St. Peter’s Square for his weekly address.

Six states in Brazil’s Amazon have requested military help to combat record fires that are tearing through the rainforest, provoking an international outcry because of the Amazon’s central role in combating global warming.

Brazil is the world’s largest Catholic country.

Francis, who wrote a major document known as an encyclical in 2015 on protection of the environment from global warming, has often defended the rights of the native peoples of the Amazon region to keep their lands and protect their cultures. He has also called for a progressive reduction in the use of fossil fuels.

The fires have coincided with this weekend’s G7 summit, where the host, French President Emmanuel Macron, has said the Amazon needs better management to end the “ecocide” that is going on in the rainforest and wants world leaders to discuss the emergency.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

Not really. This is the kind of thing the USA and United Nations would help with, not the UN. Our joint forces are probably already on top of arranging supplies and perhaps people and equipment, although I don't know. It depends, but when it comes to that sort of thing we've got all the tricks. The UN will be like "Lets make a resolution that the forests don't burn." or "Well do something if you agree to do X for us."

This wouldn't be a crisis if there were more forests, more places making oxygen and if the ocean weren't being polluted and if industry wasn't belching out smoke in such quantities. Pinning all of our hopes on Brazil is a little bit teenage behavior. Obviously we can't rely on one big forest. We need some backups don't we.