• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How can Trump get away with comments like this?

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
Ratcheting technique. Republicans call to be met half way when our candidates are already 'center right' by the rest of the world's standards. So we take a step right to be 'moderate'...then the right takes a step backwards and asks again to be met in the middle.
Dems need to stop compromising with bullies or they'll lose everything they represent in the 'compromise.' We don't need more center right moderates, thats largely what lost Hillary, splitting her vote with Bernie. We need to swing further left.
What lost Hillary the election was not campaigning enough in states that she actually needed to win. Trump campaigned a lot in the Rust Belt where Clinton barely ever visited, thus winning the votes of working-class folks who Trump actually listened to and made some promises to. Clinton was preaching to the Democratic choir and relying on Trump being a crass individual to win her the election.

I'm all for the Democrats embracing Social Democratic positions, but they need to do so with a plan. The progressive Democrats don't know what they're doing and don't understand why America isn't yet ready for things like free or very cheap college tuition (70% of Americans go to university compared to about 10-20% in Europe) or government-paid healthcare (each state has its own separate health insurance requirements and networks, so standard nationwide networks are impossible right now), and border security (Europe has the Schengen Zone, we don't have anything like that with Canada or Mexico; even the EU had to shut down the influx of migrants in 2015-2016 because they didn't have the infrastructure to handle it, much the same way we can't handle our migrant crisis right now).

The progressive Democrats focus too much on identity politics and they see racism, white supremacy and the patriarchy in everything. This isn't how your normal American thinks. As long as the Democrats keep chasing the progressives and speaking to them, they're not speaking to normal Americans.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The bankruptcy were business which Trump has many of not personal. Atlantic City for example.
That's what I suspected.
It matters because bankruptcy of businesses wouldn't necessarily
affect Trump's net worth much. It would depend upon how much
he personally had invested.
People often say that "he" declared bankruptcy, but that would
mean he lost it all. Few people really understand what going
bankrupt means, & use the term wildly.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Choosing to speak in certain ways is an action, has effects and consequences. 'The pen is mightier than the sword' isn't a euphamism for nothing. And Trump has added to if not set precedence for a toxic, misogynistic, xenophobic culture that is already and will likely continue to have far reaching consequences. By both speech as an action, and policy making.
I agree on all you said there.
But what's very important to me is civil rights, foreign affairs, healthcare and education. All of which the Trump administration has done abysmally at.
I see a mixed record, rather than a totality of wrongfulness.
A sampling of good.....
- Overtures to N Korea for peace.
- Tax reform which reduces the SALT deduction for the wealthy.
- Eliminating the Obamacare tax penalty for those who can't afford it.
And some bad....
- Voiding the nuclear agreement with Iran, & increasing hostilities.
- Moving the embassy in Israel

I find that everyone has something positive to contribute, even
people I've severely criticized, eg, Reagan, Obama, Nixon,
B Clinton, H Clinton. (I'm still thinking about Dubya....there
must be something....I haven't remembered it yet.)
You might ask yourself....
Am I certain that absolutely everything Trump has done is bad,
or am I prejudiced against him because he's so loathsome?

leov

This is certainly the case, but I thought you were
claiming that someone was controlling the market.
Manipulation is control. I do not know how deep it goes. If, say, trump, wants to be reflected he will (and he does) mention hot market due to his good policies.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
What lost Hillary the election was not campaigning enough in states that she actually needed to win. Trump campaigned a lot in the Rust Belt where Clinton barely ever visited, thus winning the votes of working-class folks who Trump actually listened to and made some promises to. Clinton was preaching to the Democratic choir and relying on Trump being a crass individual to win her the election.

I'm all for the Democrats embracing Social Democratic positions, but they need to do so with a plan. The progressive Democrats don't know what they're doing and don't understand why America isn't yet ready for things like free or very cheap college tuition (70% of Americans go to university compared to about 10-20% in Europe) or government-paid healthcare (each state has its own separate health insurance requirements and networks, so standard nationwide networks are impossible right now), and border security (Europe has the Schengen Zone, we don't have anything like that with Canada or Mexico; even the EU had to shut down the influx of migrants in 2015-2016 because they didn't have the infrastructure to handle it, much the same way we can't handle our migrant crisis right now).

The progressive Democrats focus too much on identity politics and they see racism, white supremacy and the patriarchy in everything. This isn't how your normal American thinks. As long as the Democrats keep chasing the progressives and speaking to them, they're not speaking to normal Americans.
Hillary would not have needed to expand her campaign if the democratic split between her establishment moderate stance wasn't dividing her from the more progressive Bernie (who I have plenty of issues with for other reasons, but the DNC should have took him far more seriously.)
"Nornal Americans" experience racism and misogyny at an increasing rate which is why they are issues. From looming abortion bans to police misconduct by racial profiling to an actual increase in white supremacy groups.
America being "not ready" for universal healthcare, readily available college tuitions or dealing with migrants is really just conservatives not being ready for breaking the back (and the bank) of copious military and corporate welfare over spending (and xenophobia). I agree that there needs to be plans, but having absolutely nothing by way of plans did not stop Trump from getting elected. I'm confident we can do better.

Shad

Veteran Member
The progressive Democrats don't know what they're doing and don't understand why America isn't yet ready for things like free or very cheap college tuition (70% of Americans go to university compared to about 10-20% in Europe)

The comparison is typical Germany which is around 40%

or government-paid healthcare (each state has its own separate health insurance requirements and networks, so standard nationwide networks are impossible right now), and border security (Europe has the Schengen Zone, we don't have anything like that with Canada or Mexico; even the EU had to shut down the influx of migrants in 2015-2016 because they didn't have the infrastructure to handle it, much the same way we can't handle our migrant crisis right now).

The ironic thing is medical professions argued against insurance across state lines thus hamper competition and options. Yet now the flip for a national monopoly system

Dems need the minority vote hence pandering to extremists and bribes for votes for the nomination. If they do not moderate for the general they will lose again.

Shad

Veteran Member
Hillary would not have needed to expand her campaign if the democratic split between her establishment moderate stance wasn't dividing her from the more progressive Bernie (who I have plenty of issues with for other reasons, but the DNC should have took him far more seriously.)
"Nornal Americans" experience racism and misogyny at an increasing rate which is why they are issues. From looming abortion bans to police misconduct by racial profiling to an actual increase in white supremacy groups.
America being "not ready" for universal healthcare, readily available college tuitions or dealing with migrants is really just conservatives not being ready for breaking the back (and the bank) of copious military and corporate welfare over spending (and xenophobia). I agree that there needs to be plans, but having absolutely nothing by way of plans did not stop Trump from getting elected. I'm confident we can do better.

Alternatively people do not want to pay off the loans other people took of their own choice. Want to pay off my student debt right now or are you just good at spending other people's money?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Manipulation is control. I do not know how deep it goes. If, say, trump, wants to be reflected he will (and he does) mention hot market due to his good policies.
The "control" is mere influence. In that regard, all players influence the market.
But control in the sense that one can do something significantly deterministic,
only the fed can with policy, eg, setting interest rates.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Trump called himself " stable genius. Why is he not showing this as president? Often when one listens to him, he just rambling about things, without any coherent meaning

Shiranui117

Premium Member
The comparison is typical Germany which is around 40%
I stand corrected, it looks like it's closer to 30%: chrome-extension://oemmndcbldboiebfnladdacbdfmadadm/https://www.oecd.org/education/Germany-EAG2014-Country-Note.pdf (see page 13, A 3.2a). Regardless, about a third of Germans go to university; the rest go to vocational school or get an apprenticeship. In America, 70% go to university, more than twice what it is in Germany. At least at the university in Austria I studied at, it seems that there were far, far fewer administrative staff compared to America. If we could cut the ballooning administrative staff and make it so that the majority of Americans took up trades, got apprenticeships and went to trade schools, we could probably make it so that university in America is able to be subsidized. As it is, I think far too many fields and programs have been taken over by universities. We could probably move a lot of the lower-level majors that don't require a high amount of theoretical knowledge or academic acumen to community colleges and vocational schools instead of having them continue to be held at four-year universities.

I acted as a graduate instructor at university last year, and let me tell you, most of the students I taught were just not at all cut out for a university education. They would have been better served going to a trade school, vocational school or community college. University is not a right, nor should it be. University is strictly for fields which require a high degree of theoretical knowledge and academic smarts--that is not every field, and that is sure as hell not every individual. For some stupid reason we've convinced ourselves of the notion that a university degree is the pinnacle of educational success. It isn't. The pinnacle of educational success is getting a job that you are well-suited for and which will enable you live a comfortable life. The fact that we now see a bachelor's degree as a prerequisite to getting even many basic, entry-level low-paying jobs is an absolute travesty. Most people are not cut out for university, and that's perfectly fine. Many people are smart in different ways than book smarts, and we need those people to be trained and educated to make use of their talents.

The ironic thing is medical professions argued against insurance across state lines thus hamper competition and options. Yet now the flip for a national monopoly system
Realized their mistake, perhaps?

Dems need the minority vote hence pandering to extremists and bribes for votes for the nomination. If they do not moderate for the general they will lose again.
But the thing is, people know when they're being pandered to, especially minorities, I feel. What we need is an authentic candidate who actually has some concrete ideas, which Clinton didn't have. This is why I'm a fan of Gabbard because at least some of her policies make a lot of sense.

Shad

Veteran Member
I stand corrected, it looks like it's closer to 30%: chrome-extension://oemmndcbldboiebfnladdacbdfmadadm/https://www.oecd.org/education/Germany-EAG2014-Country-Note.pdf (see page 13, A 3.2a). Regardless, about a third of Germans go to university; the rest go to vocational school or get an apprenticeship. In America, 70% go to university, more than twice what it is in Germany. At least at the university in Austria I studied at, it seems that there were far, far fewer administrative staff compared to America. If we could cut the ballooning administrative staff and make it so that the majority of Americans took up trades, got apprenticeships and went to trade schools, we could probably make it so that university in America is able to be subsidized. As it is, I think far too many fields and programs have been taken over by universities. We could probably move a lot of the lower-level majors that don't require a high amount of theoretical knowledge or academic acumen to community colleges and vocational schools instead of having them continue to be held at four-year universities.

America mistaken tied success to university. Hence why it's trade market is an issue and need immigration. Student loans were divorced from job prospects thus people could get a loan for whatever study path they wanted regardless if a job only paid 30k a year. Administration ballooned with next to unlimited funding. Useless department formed consuming resources for programs not worth much in the job market. Now people want the government to step in again to solve a problem created by government and reckless university admins

I acted as a graduate instructor at university last year, and let me tell you, most of the students I taught were just not at all cut out for a university education.

My experience is mixed. Depends on the university.

They would have been better served going to a trade school, vocational school or community college. University is not a right, nor should it be. University is strictly for fields which require a high degree of theoretical knowledge and academic smarts--that is not every field, and that is sure as hell not every individual. For some stupid reason we've convinced ourselves of the notion that a university degree is the pinnacle of educational success. It isn't. The pinnacle of educational success is getting a job that you are well-suited for and which will enable you live a comfortable life. The fact that we now see a bachelor's degree as a prerequisite to getting even many basic, entry-level low-paying jobs is an absolute travesty. Most people are not cut out for university, and that's perfectly fine. Many people are smart in different ways than book smarts, and we need those people to be trained and educated to make use of their talents.

Some local colleges have been rebranding as universities thus can be deceptive.

A lot of universities up here are opening and/or opening trade schools. The local university (college) did here over a decade ago.

The whole idea of university being a necessity is due to the mistaken view that providing a better life for our children equates university education rather than standard of living itself.

Realized their mistake, perhaps?

Nope. Just ideological in my view.

But the thing is, people know when they're being pandered to, especially minorities, I feel.

I disagree as per reparation babble

What we need is an authentic candidate who actually has some concrete ideas, which Clinton didn't have. This is why I'm a fan of Gabbard because at least some of her policies make a lot of sense.

Honestly I favor a pairing of Yang and Gabbard as the Dem ticket.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
- Overtures to N Korea for peace.
Followed immediately by undermining threatening overtures and Twitter fueled backbiting.
- Tax reform which reduces the SALT deduction for the wealthy.
Which is great. Too bad overall the tax reform did more to line the pockets of the wealthy and grossly overestimated new growth offset to the deficit. Which means wealthy are getting wealthier at the expense of average Amerians.
- Eliminating the Obamacare tax penalty for those who can't afford it.
It already did not apply to those who couldn't afford it. It was eliminated for people who could but didn't want to, crippling it and placing no better plan. Further, perusing prior condition exemptions puts us worse than square one, where an unacceptable number of preventable deaths were happening due to lack of health coverage access, and people going bankrupt due to medical bills at an alarming rate.

Granted, was never a huge fan of Romenycare myself and would happily trash Obamacare for a proper socialized health system in a heartbeat.

I would have no problem aknowledging things which could be a net benefit in the Trump administration. I just don't feel the need to applaud the twice a day correctness of a broken clock.

Shiranui117

Premium Member
It also didn't help that Clinton was more of a corporate moderate who didn't seem too concerned about the interests of your average American. Trump did far better at finding some things that lots of Americans were clearly upset about and turning that frustration to his advantage. I don't know how well the Democrats this time around will be able to do it.

I agree that police misconduct and some apparent actions by border patrol officers need to be sorted out. I still don't know that the increase in white supremacy groups is as big an issue as many people fear; even if it were a 100% increase, a 100% increase to a small number is still a small number. Definitely something to keep tabs on, but I don't think it's an issue that any candidate should be relying on for their campaign. We have more pressing cats to fry.

Sure, I don't doubt that many conservatives aren't willing to shake the economic boat and give a lot of these massive companies the middle finger; short-term economic loss for long-term systemic stability is the one trade-off that both parties seem to be unwilling and unable to make. The Democrats need to prove to the Americans that they have an alternative better than the one that Trump has been operating on thus far, which on the face of it seems to be working rather well for the American economy, which is most people's #1 concern. And if they want to enact some proper Social Democratic policies, they need to figure out how to do it right and pave the way for it so we don't end up with any God-awful messes like Obamacare.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Alternatively people do not want to pay off the loans other people took of their own choice. Want to pay off my student debt right now or are you just good at spending other people's money?
This 'I am my own mountain' rhetoric when talking about socioeconomic policies is as tiring as when elitist ******** don't want to pay into public schools when they private school their kids.
Tough titties, you live in a social society and new generations of degree holders needing to be able to live is more important. Or is it any wonder the number of medical professionals in the US is plummeting?