• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How can the Jew reject, Jesus, Muhammad, Bab and Baha'u'llah?

Skywalker

The Christian bible asserts if you believe, you will receive anything you ask for in prayer. Matthew 21:21-22. It simply doesn't work. It's an exaggerated claim at best. This theme of the power of faith is repeated throughout the Christian bible. This makes me wonder what else has been exaggerated in the Christian bible.

The Tanach does not promise magic powers to people based on whether or not they believe. That makes it a tiny bit more credible.

The Bible is against magic. Jesus was not a sorcerer like the Talmud says.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Didn't Jesus say the following?

Matthew 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

Then what did Paul do? He came along and abolished the Law and replaced it with grace. ;)
It wasn't all Paul's doing. Here's what Baha’u’llah says:

"this youthful Nazarene [Jesus], who laid claim to the station of the divine Messiah, had annulled the law of divorce and of the sabbath day—the most weighty of all the laws of Moses."

(The Kitáb-i-Íqán)
www.bahai.org/r/570360520

Not only that, but this contradicts the Qur'an 2:40:

"O Children of Israel, remember My favor which I have bestowed upon you and fulfill My covenant [upon you] that I will fulfill your covenant [from Me], and be afraid of [only] Me."

Sahih International

So. Jesus made changes to the law even though he said he wouldn't. Baha’u’llah endorses it eventhough it contradicts the Qur'an. It doesn't make sense to ask a Jew to accept all three Jesus, Muhammad, and Baha’u’llah as perfect manifestations of God if they contradict themselves and each other.

Skywalker

The Christian bible asserts if you believe, you will receive anything you ask for in prayer. Matthew 21:21-22. It simply doesn't work. It's an exaggerated claim at best. This theme of the power of faith is repeated throughout the Christian bible. This makes me wonder what else has been exaggerated in the Christian bible.

The Tanach does not promise magic powers to people based on whether or not they believe. That makes it a tiny bit more credible.

Not anything we ask for in prayer. Only if it's within God's will and prayed for humbly and patiently.

The Old Testament and Tanakh also mention faith.

Skywalker

"this youthful Nazarene [Jesus], who laid claim to the station of the divine Messiah, had annulled the law of divorce and of the sabbath day—the most weighty of all the laws of Moses."

(The Kitáb-i-Íqán)

"O Children of Israel, remember My favor which I have bestowed upon you and fulfill My covenant [upon you] that I will fulfill your covenant [from Me], and be afraid of [only] Me."

Sahih International

So. Jesus made changes to the law even though he said he wouldn't. Baha’u’llah endorses it eventhough it contradicts the Qur'an. It doesn't make sense to ask a Jew to accept all three Jesus, Muhammad, and Baha’u’llah as perfect manifestations of God if they contradict themselves and each other.

I believe that Jesus is God. I don't believe that Bahulllah was God and Muhammad was a prophet of God.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Much of the Christian Bible is 'sayings' of Jesus which are not to be taken literally but rather metaphorically. Obviously, to me, Matthew 21:21-22 are not meant to be taken literally, because nobody can move a mountain just because that have faith and not all things that are asked in prayer will be answered.

But what we were discussing is whether Jesus was the Messiah or not, and the Christian claims related to that go back to the Old Testament prophecies that claim Jesus fulfilled. The main reason I believe Jesus was the Messiah is because of what is in the Baha’i Writings but I can also look at the Old Testament to see if He fulfilled the prophecies, according to what it says Jesus did in the New Testament.
That does speak to credibility, but I consider authenticity of the scriptures far more important than what is believable, so my questions would be more along the lines of: How do we know that what is in the New Testament is anything that Jesus actually said, and how do we know what is in the Tanakh is what Moses or the other prophets actually said. Of course, since the Writings of Baha’u’llah were written by Him and stamped with His official seal, and we have the original Tablets, authenticity of His Writings is a nonissue.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Much of the Christian Bible is 'sayings' of Jesus which are not to be taken literally but rather metaphorically. Obviously, to me, Matthew 21:21-22 are not meant to be taken literally, because nobody can move a mountain just because that have faith and not all things that are asked in prayer will be answered.
It was intended to be taken literally. Verse 21 says: "Truly I tell you..."
But what we were discussing is whether Jesus was the Messiah or not,
No. Sorry. We were talking about the Christian bible's credibility. It is less credible than Tanach, because Tanach does not promise magical powers based on the strength of a person's conviction.
The main reason I believe Jesus was the Messiah is because of what is in the Baha’i Writings but I can also look at the Old Testament to see if He fulfilled the prophecies, according to what it says Jesus did in the New Testament.
Let's look at the Baha'i writings. I'm guessing that they reference the Christian bible.

Skywalker

Therefore, Matthew 21 is misleading. It's an exaggeratted claim.

Can you find anything close to "You will receive whatever you ask for in prayer." in the Tanach?

Language being metaphorical is not exagarated.

The destruction of the Canaanites. Some fled and there were still Canaanites in the land, so they were not utterly destroyed.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Jesus was talking about praying things that are in God's will, not doing magic tricks.
Nope, he was talking about moving a mountain and withering a fig tree. That's magic.

Matthew 21:18

18Early in the morning, as Jesus was on his way back to the city, he was hungry. 19Seeing a fig tree by the road, he went up to it but found nothing on it except leaves. Then he said to it, “May you never bear fruit again!” Immediately the tree withered.

20When the disciples saw this, they were amazed. “How did the fig tree wither so quickly?” they asked.

21Jesus replied, “Truly I tell you, if you have faith and do not doubt, not only can you do what was done to the fig tree, but also you can say to this mountain, ‘Go, throw yourself into the sea,’ and it will be done. 22If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer.”​

Skywalker

(The Kitáb-i-Íqán)

Sahih International

The existence of the New Covenant is not adding changes to the law. The first believers in Jesus were called Nozrim, not Christians.

Skywalker

The verse says, "Truly I tell you..." It's not metaphorical.

Cite the verses and we'll compare.

The metaphor is in anything we ask for in prayer. It doesn't literally mean anything, it means anything that is within the will of God. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me doesn't mean I can fly.

Numbers 31 mentions the destruction of the Midianites. Later in the Tanakh the Midianites are mentioned. That doesn't mean that the Midianite people were all wiped out it meant a certain clan was.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
You mentioned a contradiction between Jesus saying he didn't abolish the law and there being a new covenant.
What I said was that Jesus made changes to the law eventhough he said he wouldn't. This was confirmed by Baha’u’llah, but it contradicts the Qur'an's statement about the original covenant. The New Covenant is a different topic.

Skywalker

What I said was that Jesus made changes to the law eventhough he said he wouldn't. This was confirmed by Baha’u’llah, but it contradicts the Qur'an's statement about the original covenant. The New Covenant is a different topic.

Jesus raised the standards of the law with a higher level. He said that if someone looks with lust they commit adultery in their heart. That is consistent with the ethics of the Torah.