• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How can the Jew reject, Jesus, Muhammad, Bab and Baha'u'llah?

Skywalker

Are you asking whether I think that Isaiah 7 is about some future, big "saving"? The standard understanding is not like that. If you look at the link I included, you will see that this section is not included in that discussion.

It's about a remanant of Jews in the end times believing in Christ.

Skywalker

So why does Abdul Baha agree with William Miller that the 2300 days should start with the Edict to rebuild Jerusalem when the context is about the abomination and the stopping of the daily sacrifice... plus the interpretation of who is the goat is given, it is Greece. Nothing in Daniel 8 refers back to 457BC,

Do you think preterism is unbibical? I think it goes against Revelation reading like a book of warnings.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
There was a singer who took the name "Prince". Did that make him a prince?

It made him the Singer named Prince. He was a singer before taking the name Prince.

That is what the Messenger offers, that is what the story of the virgin birth offers.

Regards Tony

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
So since we don't know for sure what Jesus really said or did, what do we know? We know what the Christians came to believe. Is any of it true? Was anything that Christians ever believed, right from the beginning true? If they believed that Jesus physically rose from the dead, then by what we know from the Baha'i writing, those Christians were never right and were teaching a false doctrine. Yet, Baha'is believe Christianity is a true God-given religion?
Shoghi Effendi makes it clear what the Baha'i position is regarding Christianity, what we are required to believe.

“As to the position of Christianity, let it be stated without any hesitation or equivocation that its divine origin is unconditionally acknowledged, that the Sonship and Divinity of Jesus Christ are fearlessly asserted, that the divine inspiration of the Gospel is fully recognized, that the reality of the mystery of the Immaculacy of the Virgin Mary is confessed, and the primacy of Peter, the Prince of the Apostles, is upheld and defended. The Founder of the Christian Faith is designated by Bahá’u’lláh as the “Spirit of God,” is proclaimed as the One Who “appeared out of the breath of the Holy Ghost,” and is even extolled as the “Essence of the Spirit.” His mother is described as “that veiled and immortal, that most beauteous, countenance,” and the station of her Son eulogized as a “station which hath been exalted above the imaginings of all that dwell on earth,” whilst Peter is recognized as one whom God has caused “the mysteries of wisdom and of utterance to flow out of his mouth.” The Promised Day is Come, pp. 109-110

Skywalker

So since we don't know for sure what Jesus really said or did, what do we know? We know what the Christians came to believe. Is any of it true? Was anything that Christians ever believed, right from the beginning true? If they believed that Jesus physically rose from the dead, then by what we know from the Baha'i writing, those Christians were never right and were teaching a false doctrine. Yet, Baha'is believe Christianity is a true God-given religion?

The New Testament writers included embarrassing details about themselves. They included embarrassing details and difficult sayings of Jesus. They left in demanding sayings of Jesus. They carefully distinguished the words of Jesus from their own. The New Testament writers included events related to the ressurection that they would not have invented. All four Gospels say women were the first witnesses of the empty tomb and the first to learn of the Ressurection.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
The one Skywalker just showed you and I showed you one in Revelation. You rejected both of them. So what can we do? I'm good with the son of man and the Lamb and the Lamb that was slain are all references to Jesus and that he is the one coming back, but I still don't believe it. You might be right. They might be right. But I don't trust either Baha'is or Christians. Both, to me, twist things to make themselves "The Truth". And not that I'm going to convert to Judaism, but I believe they are correct in not believing that Jesus is their Messiah, because of there being too many "prophecies" that are just one verse, cherry-picked things from the Bible. And Baha'is do the same. But, like I say, maybe you or they are right.
As long as you keep using the Bible to try to determine who is right you will remain confused, because the Bible can be used to try to prove any of these religions are right, and there you are just standing at the side of the road, forever.

Skywalker

The one Skywalker just showed you and I showed you one in Revelation. You rejected both of them. So what can we do? I'm good with the son of man and the Lamb and the Lamb that was slain are all references to Jesus and that he is the one coming back, but I still don't believe it. You might be right. They might be right. But I don't trust either Baha'is or Christians. Both, to me, twist things to make themselves "The Truth". And not that I'm going to convert to Judaism, but I believe they are correct in not believing that Jesus is their Messiah, because of there being too many "prophecies" that are just one verse, cherry-picked things from the Bible. And Baha'is do the same. But, like I say, maybe you or they are right.

Why do you think that Christians twist things to make them look true? Can't you say that atheists and agnostics also might twist things to make their position look true? I believe that the amount of prophecies that support Jesus being the Messiah are more than the amount of prophecies that support Jesus not being the Messiah.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Well, the text is in Hebrew and some people can discuss the Hebrew. If you are interested in discussing the text, itself, wouldn't it be a more authentic experience to discuss the text and not a translation?
It would be if it was possible, but in that case you will most likely be only able to discuss the text with other Jews.
OK, I have 2 answers to that. One is to point out the grammar and the antecedent of the pronoun. The second is to say "Hey, sure, you are right! Different people have different interpretations and assign different meanings, and since no one cedes authority to the other, then trying to persuade is fruitless and rejection is automatic." This, then answers the initial post of "how can the Jew reject...?"
I fully agree. Since no one cedes authority to the other, then trying to persuade is fruitless and rejection is automatic." This, then answers the initial post of "how can the Jew reject...?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Wouldn't that mean that the Christian interpretations of who the Messiah is are just as likely?
No, because I said: Who is to say one meaning is correct and the others are incorrect? Who was ever given authority by God to interpret the texts?

Baha'is believe that Baha'u'llah was the Representative of God among men , so He was given authority to interpret the texts.

“Know assuredly that just as thou firmly believest that the Word of God, exalted be His glory, endureth for ever, thou must, likewise, believe with undoubting faith that its meaning can never be exhausted. They who are its appointed interpreters, they whose hearts are the repositories of its secrets, are, however, the only ones who can comprehend its manifold wisdom. Whoso, while reading the Sacred Scriptures, is tempted to choose therefrom whatever may suit him with which to challenge the authority of the Representative of God among men, is, indeed, as one dead, though to outward seeming he may walk and converse with his neighbors, and share with them their food and their drink.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, pp. 175-176

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Temptation is real. Satan even tempted Jesus.
Yes it is real but I have a different interpretation of those verses.

Matthew 16:23-26 But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men. Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it. For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?

The way I interpret those verses is that Jesus was not talking to a real entity called Satan; Jesus was saying to Peter that the things that are not of God but are rather of men (selfish desires) are offensive to Him. Then Jesus tells His disciples to deny their selfish desires and to follow in His Way. For whoever will live for their selfish desires shall lose his eternal life, but whoever will sacrifice his life for the sake of Jesus and God shall gain eternal life. It is the soul that gets eternal life, not the body.

Jesus was saying to deny our selfish desires, things we want that are not of God, and to follow in His Way. For whoever will live for self shall lose his eternal life, but whoever will sacrifice his life for the sake of Jesus and God shall gain eternal life. It is the soul that gets eternal life, not the body.

So if we live for self and the worldly things we gain the world but we lose our soul in the sense that we lose eternal life.

Eternal life refers to a “quality” of life, nearness to God, which according to Jesus comes from believing in Him, and according to Baha’u’llah, comes from knowing Him and believing in Him. One can have eternal life in this earth world as well as in the spiritual world (afterlife).

Skywalker

Yes it is real but I have a different interpretation of those verses.

Matthew 16:23-26 But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men. Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it. For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?

The way I interpret those verses is that Jesus was not talking to a real entity called Satan; Jesus was saying to Peter that the things that are not of God but are rather of men (selfish desires) are offensive to Him. Then Jesus tells His disciples to deny their selfish desires and to follow in His Way. For whoever will live for their selfish desires shall lose his eternal life, but whoever will sacrifice his life for the sake of Jesus and God shall gain eternal life. It is the soul that gets eternal life, not the body.

Jesus was saying to deny our selfish desires, things we want that are not of God, and to follow in His Way. For whoever will live for self shall lose his eternal life, but whoever will sacrifice his life for the sake of Jesus and God shall gain eternal life. It is the soul that gets eternal life, not the body.

So if we live for self and the worldly things we gain the world but we lose our soul in the sense that we lose eternal life.

Eternal life refers to a “quality” of life, nearness to God, which according to Jesus comes from believing in Him, and according to Baha’u’llah, comes from knowing Him and believing in Him. One can have eternal life in this earth world as well as in the spiritual world (afterlife).

I believe that Satan tempted Jesus in the desert. Jesus was talking about a literal Satan to Peter because Satan tempted him to turn stones to bread.

Skywalker

No, because I said: Who is to say one meaning is correct and the others are incorrect? Who was ever given authority by God to interpret the texts?

Baha'is believe that Baha'u'llah was the Representative of God among men , so He was given authority to interpret the texts.

“Know assuredly that just as thou firmly believest that the Word of God, exalted be His glory, endureth for ever, thou must, likewise, believe with undoubting faith that its meaning can never be exhausted. They who are its appointed interpreters, they whose hearts are the repositories of its secrets, are, however, the only ones who can comprehend its manifold wisdom. Whoso, while reading the Sacred Scriptures, is tempted to choose therefrom whatever may suit him with which to challenge the authority of the Representative of God among men, is, indeed, as one dead, though to outward seeming he may walk and converse with his neighbors, and share with them their food and their drink.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, pp. 175-176

Why would there need to be prophets after John the Baptist? God does everything with an order and a purpose.