• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How can Jesus inherit the throne of David?

The Anointed

For those who believe that the genetic record in Matthew contradicts the genetic record in Luke.

Those people appear to have a problem comprehending that which is recorded in the scriptures. The genetic record in Matthew 1, is not that of Jesus the son of Mary, but that of Joseph the son of Jacob, who married Mary after she had given birth to her first son, Jesus.

The scriptures clearly show that Joseph ben Jacob as recorded in Matthew, remained engaged to the already pregnant Mary, who in Luke 2, was the SAME Joseph who took his heavily pregnant ‘FIANCEE’ to Bethlehem, where she gave birth to the first of her sons, and he was the step-father of Jesus, having no genetic connection to the child.

According to Matthew, Joseph the son of Jacob, was engaged to Mary, but when he found out that she was pregnant, he thought to break the engagement, but was told in a dream that the child was conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit, (As was Isaac, the son of Sarah and her half-brother Abraham) Joseph the son of Jacob then remained with the pregnant Mary , but had no sexual relations with her until after she had given birth to the first of her biological sons, and it was only then that he consummated his union with Mary, and they then became man and wife, after which she conceived her second son, named Joseph after his father.

The Joseph, who was betrothed to Mary, is Joseph ben Jacob, who is a descendant of Solomon of the house of David, but he is descended through the cursed genetic line of Jehoiachin, of who it is said in Jeremiah 22: 29-30; O land, land, land! Listen to what the LORD has said: “This man is condemned to lose his children, to be a man who will never succeed. He will have no descendants (NO DESCENDANTS) who will rule in Judah as David's successors. I, the LORD, have spoken.” According to this, Joseph ben Jacob, nor any of his descendants (Even Step-sons) could ever hope to rule in Judah as David’s successor.

It was Joseph the son of Heli, with whom Mary conceived the child Jesus, as revealed in the gospel of Luke 3: 23; where it is written; "Now Jesus himself was about thirty years old when he began his ministry. He was the son, of Joseph, the son of Heli, the son of Matthat, a descendant of Nathan the son of David and Bathsheba, and although a descendant of David, Nathan nor any of his descendants had any claim to that throne, as only a descendant of Solomon could ever claim succession to the throne of David.

Saul’s right to the kingship of Israel terminated with his death. No son of Saul ever sat on or had a right to the throne. But Solomon's descendants, with the exception of one branch of the family, (That of Jehoiachin the ancestor of Joseph the son of Jacob, who married Mary the mother of Jesus) would never lose their right to the throne. The punishment for disobedience would be chastening at the hands of men but not the termination of the monarchical right. It is God's unconditional promise that the posterity of David, specifically that of Solomon, will possess the kingship forever. God assures that there will always be a male of paternal Solomonic descent with the right to reign upon David's throne.

Through the genetic record in Matthew, Jesus the stepson of Joseph ben Jacob, a descendant of the cursed line of Jehoiachin, could not inherit the throne of David.

Through the genetic record of Jesus a descendant of Nathan and not Solomon, Jesus could not inherit the throne of his ancestor King David. So how can the prophecy of the messenger of God to Mary, "The Lord God will make him a king, as his ancestor David was, and he will be the king of the descendants of Jacob for ever; his kingdom will never end!” be fulfilled?

Last edited:

The Anointed

You might ask the same about the curse of Adam and it was not on the seed of the woman.
Jesus Father was God not Joseph.

The biological father of Jesus was Joseph the son of Heli, who had also sired Mary by another mother,

Jesus said to Mary Magdalene; "Go to my brothers and tell them that I am ascending to him, who is my Father and their Father, my God and their God. Our Father who art in heaven, etc.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
The biological father of Jesus was Joseph the son of Heli, who had also sired Mary by another mother,................

Rather, I find Joseph was Jesus' foster father who gave Jesus the 'legal' right to the throne of David.
Mary's biological father was Heli.
In Scripture, the son-in-law was then considered as son.
Matthew traces Jesus 'paternal' genealogical record.
Luke traces Jesus 'maternal' genealogical record.

The Anointed

Rather, I find Joseph was Jesus' foster father who gave Jesus the 'legal' right to the throne of David.
Mary's biological father was Heli.
In Scripture, the son-in-law was then considered as son.
Matthew traces Jesus 'paternal' genealogical record.
Luke traces Jesus 'maternal' genealogical record.

Joseph the son of Jacob, is the Step-father of Jesus, who is a descendant of Jehoiachin, of who it is said in Jeremiah 22: 29-30; O land, land, land! Listen to what the LORD has said: “This man is condemned to lose his children, to be a man who will never succeed. He will have no descendants (NO DESCENDANTS) who will rule in Judah as David's successors. I, the LORD, have spoken.” So, what makes you think that he has any right whatsoever to the throne of David?

Luke does not trace the maternal genealogical record of Jesus, but that of his father Joseph the son of Alexander Helios, the half brother to Mary the mother of Jesus. But be that as it may, even according to your erroneous belief, Mary is still a descendant of Nathan the son of Bathsheba and David, and no descendants of Nathan have a any claim to the throne of David, whose heir must come through his son Solomon the son of Bathsheba.

To find the answer, you must look to Zerubbabel the son of Shealtiel, the son of Neri.as recorded in Luke 3: 27.

Last edited:

Jacob Samuelson

Just a quick possibly dumb question: Have we ruled out that Nathan the prophet and Nathan the Son of David aren't the same people? I've been studying these scriptures and I don't find evidence against them being the same, as Nathan is kind of this appears out of nowhere type of prophet. Maybe I'm super wrong but I might need help with this one. Is there anything to say they are separate people?

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Is there anything to say they are separate people?
There are these verses:
"And Adonijah slew sheep and oxen and fatlings by the stone of Zoheleth, which is beside En-rogel; and he called all his brethren the king's sons, and all the men of Judah the king's servants. but Nathan the prophet, and Benaiah, and the mighty men, and Solomon his brother, he called not." (1 Kings 1:9-10)​
If both Nathan and Solomon were half brothers to Adonijah, it would make sense that both would be referred to as his brothers in this verse, but that's not the case - only Solomon is referred to as such.

epronovost

@The Anointed

Isn't this all a fairly futile exercise considering Jesus never attempted to claim the crown of a long dead kingdom at the time of his birth. Even if he did, the kingdom of Israel was long dead and he was executed well before he could achieve anything like that.

Jacob Samuelson

There are these verses:
"And Adonijah slew sheep and oxen and fatlings by the stone of Zoheleth, which is beside En-rogel; and he called all his brethren the king's sons, and all the men of Judah the king's servants. but Nathan the prophet, and Benaiah, and the mighty men, and Solomon his brother, he called not." (1 Kings 1:9-10)​
If both Nathan and Solomon were half brothers to Adonijah, it would make sense that both would be referred to as his brothers in this verse, but that's not the case - only Solomon is referred to as such.

I saw that verse too and thought it would make the most sense, but what I couldn't wrap my head around was how Nathan kind of just appeared out of nowhere. Maybe I'm going way left field, but if my theory is correct which I know most likely it's not, but considering the rarity of the name Nathan and the coincidence that David had a son named Nathan and in 2 Samuel 12 How Nathan addressed the sin he did with Bathsheba, My guess is similar to how John the Baptist, was referred not as Jesus's cousin but as a Baptist, that instead of being known as David's son, which Nathan in this scenario didn't want to be known as because of the manner he was conceived, he was referred to as the prophet which he was, as he held tightly to the ways of the Lord, apart from his brethren.
Again, I know it may seem like a stretch, but the bible unfortunately does that to us sometimes.

Now, if Nathan was the prophet as well as the Son, how would that answer your question anyways? Well it just might in 1 Kings 11:11-13. Solomon wasn't doing what he was supposed to and God was telling him that his kingdom was going to be split. In verse 11 it said it would go to Solomon's servant. Now, I am may have missed who that servant would be referring to but considering Solomon was anointed and supported by Nathan in Kings 1. I would think that Nathan would be that servant God was referring to assuming he hasn't died yet which is also possible.

Interesting enough as well, the rest of 1 Kings 11, state very direct and interesting promises to the House of David, suggesting that one tribe (Judah) would be chosen and out of it He will be there. I wonder if these were to refer to Christ's Birth or not. Foo for thought.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
I saw that verse too and thought it would make the most sense, but what I couldn't wrap my head around was how Nathan kind of just appeared out of nowhere.
Other prophets also appear out of nowhere - Jonah, Elijah, etc.
rarity of the name Nathan
Open a concordance - it's not that rare (that is, there are some names that appear only for one person). In Chronicles there's a Natan son of Atai and in Ezra there's a Kohen named Natan.
Now, if Nathan was the prophet as well as the Son, how would that answer your question anyways? Well it just might in 1 Kings 11:11-13. Solomon wasn't doing what he was supposed to and God was telling him that his kingdom was going to be split. In verse 11 it said it would go to Solomon's servant. Now, I am may have missed who that servant would be referring to but considering Solomon was anointed and supported by Nathan in Kings 1. I would think that Nathan would be that servant God was referring to assuming he hasn't died yet which is also possible.
I don't know how that answers the question.
Foo for thought
Here's some of mine: Can you imagine a prophet going out and constantly rebuking his own father in the name of God?

The Anointed

Just a quick possibly dumb question: Have we ruled out that Nathan the prophet and Nathan the Son of David aren't the same people? I've been studying these scriptures and I don't find evidence against them being the same, as Nathan is kind of this appears out of nowhere type of prophet. Maybe I'm super wrong but I might need help with this one. Is there anything to say they are separate people?

You are not wrong mate, Nathan is not a biological son of David, but an adopted son.

Nathan the prophet was one of the three sons of Uriah the Hittite, the husband ot Bathsheba the daughter of Ammiel the son of Obed-Edom, a descendant of Moses the Levite, through his second wife Jeppuniah the Ethiop[an mother of Caleb, who were adopted by David after he had their father killed.

Zechariah 12 : 14; reveals that Nathan is not a biological son of David; "Each family in the land will mourn by itself: the family descended from David, the family descended from Nathan, the family descended from Levi, the family descended from Shimei, and all the other families. Each family will mourn by itself, and the men of each family will mourn separately from the women.

Last edited:

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Nathan the prophet was one of the three sons of Uriah the Hittite, the husband ot Bathsheba
Source?
Nathan the prophet was one of the three sons of Uriah the Hittite, the husband ot Bathsheba the daughter of Ammiel the son of Obed-Edom, a descendant of Moses the Levite, through his second wife Jeppuniah the Ethiop[an mother of Caleb, who were adopted by David after he had their father killed,
This again? I'm still waiting on that other thread for scriptural evidence that the Cusheet woman was Jeppuniah. It's been about a month now, if I'm not mistaken.
Edit: here, @The Anointed:
Melchizedek: Psalm 110:4 and its Discontents
I'm still waiting for some answers.

Last edited:

The Anointed

f
Other prophets also appear out of nowhere - Jonah, Elijah, etc.

Open a concordance - it's not that rare (that is, there are some names that appear only for one person). In Chronicles there's a Natan son of Atai and in Ezra there's a Kohen named Natan.

I don't know how that answers the question.

Here's some of mine: Can you imagine a prophet going out and constantly rebuking his own father in the name of God?

And neither one of your Natan's is said to have been the son, or rather the adopted son of David.

The Anointed

Source?

This again? I'm still waiting on that other thread for scriptural evidence that the Cusheet woman was Jeppuniah. It's been about a month now, if I'm not mistaken.
Edit: here, @The Anointed:
Melchizedek: Psalm 110:4 and its Discontents
I'm still waiting for some answers.

Jeppuniah was the mother of Caleb and the widow of an un-named man from the tribe of Judah, she was the daughter of Hobab the Kenite, a descendant of Cush, and the second father-in-law to Moses, see Judges 4: 11.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Jeppuniah was the mother of Caleb and the widow of an un-named man from the tribe of Judah, she was the daughter of Hobab the Kenite, a descendant of Cush, and the second father-in-law to Moses, see Judges 4: 11.
As stated on the other thread, several times, ch. 4 of Judges makes no mention of either Caleb or Jephunneh.
What I'm looking for is: a. a source that specifically says that Jephunneh is the Cusheet woman that married Moses. b. a source that specifically says that Uriah the Hittite is a descendant of Moses through that woman. c. a source that specifically says that Natan the prophet is the son of Uriah the Hittite.

The Anointed

There are these verses:

Adonijah and Solomon were both brothers in that that were sired by the one father, 'King David,' Nathan was not a half brother, but a step brother, the son of Bathsheba and her husband 'Uriah; the husband of Bathsheba,'