• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How can I give better answers/responses on here?

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
I think I'm too crisp and direct sometimes and I'd like to improve. Please don't hold anything back. How can I make my responses to you better?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I think I'm too crisp and direct sometimes and I'd like to improve. Please don't hold anything back. How can I make my responses to you better?
I have been steadily dropping proper punctuation

it helps me to get to the point quicker

and sometimes I ask a question the other guy should have thought of
let him realize his previous post had a flaw

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
With respect for you I have gone back and looked at some of your comments and found an error.

In the *Was Jesus a Myth?* thread you post "I identify Jesus as the first Jewish person to emphasize Ahimsa: total non-violence, which I have my reasons for thinking he encountered through eastern influence."

To imagine that the concept of pacifism had to come from the East is a little unmerited. Peace is a good idea that stands on its own. This actually does not reflect an understanding of Judaism or Jesus. It is impossible for Jesus to have been the first Jewish pacifist, since there were some before him. Judaism is nothing if not a departure from warlike culture. That religion is replete with pacifist ideas, and Jesus own pacifism is merely an open expression of it. For example in the books Kings and Chronicles there is the story of the tragedy of David the shepherd who is taken away from shepherding and thrust into political prominence where he fails to resist corruption and causes suffering for his people, and because he has shed blood he is not permitted to build a temple. Jesus defends himself, by the way, except where he is required not to, and he attacks people in the temple in one story. Therefore Jesus would not have learned pacifism from a more eastern influence but from his hometown which would have been Jewish.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
With respect for you I have gone back and looked at some of your comments and found an error.

In the *Was Jesus a Myth?* thread you post "I identify Jesus as the first Jewish person to emphasize Ahimsa: total non-violence, which I have my reasons for thinking he encountered through eastern influence."

To imagine that the concept of pacifism had to come from the East is a little unmerited. Peace is a good idea that stands on its own. This actually does not reflect an understanding of Judaism or Jesus. It is impossible for Jesus to have been the first Jewish pacifist, since there were some before him. Judaism is nothing if not a departure from warlike culture. That religion is replete with pacifist ideas, and Jesus own pacifism is merely an open expression of it. For example in the books Kings and Chronicles there is the story of the tragedy of David the shepherd who is taken away from shepherding and thrust into political prominence where he fails to resist corruption and causes suffering for his people, and because he has shed blood he is not permitted to build a temple. Jesus defends himself, by the way, except where he is required not to, and he attacks people in the temple in one story. Therefore Jesus would not have learned pacifism from a more eastern influence but from his hometown which would have been Jewish.
and Jesus cleared the Temple.....with a knotted cord
(that's the story I know)

Phantasman

I have no problem with your views or what you say, even how you say it.

I always try to think of a person I communicate with, how would I want to receive the message if I were he/she.

We all can become brash at times. Patience usually helps correct much of it.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
You are doing fairly well. You are trying to build a bridge between East and West, but the chasm is very wide - Engineering failure.
Don't use personal pronouns like you and don't post when angry.
I agree, but it does not take long to dissipate anger (if one tries). :)

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
You are doing fairly well. You are trying to build a bridge between East and West, but the chasm is very wide - Engineering failure.

I think the chasm has widened with more recent philosophical thought in the west, which is stuck on the mind. I am not sure the chasm is nearly as great with western philosophy in ancient times. Platonism for example, especially Neo-Platonism, is often compared with Advaita Vedanta by scholars.

I even encountered an Advaitist one time who stated that Neo-Platonism and Advaita's view of Ultimate Reality are exactly identical. Neo-Platonists have a slightly different approach to the levels of reality, but accept subtraction, as I understood his argument.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
and Jesus cleared the Temple.....with a knotted cord
(that's the story I know)

One of my favorite memes!

Screenshot_20180220-030216~2.png

While Jesus might be thought of as a pacifist like. He is not a pacifist totally.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
I got nuthin.
I can't think of anything you do wrong.
But I'd love to criticize you, so I'll keep an eye peeled.
You know, for being an expert in "Neo-Marxist post-modern intersectional gender curling", you're quite funny!

(Most of the ones I know are sour, unhappy, and boorish.)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

Every person's learning style is slightly different, so it follows about responding. For me, the times I error are in either wording or in a tone I didn't really want to give. It's almost always when I respond too quickly, in a reactive way, not giving it enough thought. A few times I've regretted what I said, and then deleted it.

Not sure if that works for you, but it's one responding style I notice. Not just in me but in others as well. So even a 30 second reflection time in there before hitting 'reply'.