• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How can humans live without a soul/spirit?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Sorry, but do you mean that all other living things (non-human) should have also a spiritual being in them in order to stay alive?!

Or perhaps you mean that, for a flesh to be alive, it depends if it is of a human or else.

Thank you.
My understanding Is that all living beings has a spirit yes

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
One might remember the first time they cursed a word of foul language.

Did you feel your conscience holding you back?

Like having to spit out the word from your mouth?

Were there types of words you favored, or ones you'd rather avoid?

The answer may be rooted in the neural basis of emotion and self-control. Do not quench the holy spirit. But the answer seems unknowable at this time. Who knows if the spirit of a man goeth upward upwards, or the spirit of the animal return to the earth. Who knows?

Do all people swear?
We can answer this question by saying that all competent English speakers learn how to swear in English. Swearing generally draws from a pool of 10 expressions and occurs at a rate of about 0.5 percent of one’s daily word output. However, it is not informative to think of how an average person swears: Contextual, personality, and even physiological variables are critical for predicting how swearing will occur. While swearing crosses socioeconomic statuses and age ranges and persists across the lifespan, it is more common among adolescents and more frequent among men. Inappropriate swearing can be observed in frontal lobe damage, Tourette’s disorder, and aphasia.

Swearing is positively correlated with extraversion and is a defining feature of a Type A personality. It is negatively correlated with conscientiousness, agreeableness, sexual anxiety, and religiosity. These relationships are complicated by the range of meanings within the diverse group of taboo words. Some religious people might eschew profanities (religious terms), but they may have fewer reservations about offensive sexual terms that the sexually anxious would avoid. We have yet to systematically study swearing with respect to variables such as impulsivity or psychiatric conditions, (e.g., schizophrenia and bipolar disorder). These may be fruitful avenues along which to investigate the neural basis of emotion and self-control.

The Science of Swearing
Peaceful Sabbath.
Swearing Is Actually a Sign of More Intelligence - Not Less - Say Scientists (sciencealert.com)

Dave Watchman

This doesn't really define spirit/soul for me.

The Bible did it already.

You won't get the correct definition from the media. Like the sell your soul to the Devil example.

Soul just means life, we are living creatures.

Spirit means breath of life, and man became a living creature.

Just sentience.

Sentience just means that you're conscience, you're aware.

When when you're speeding on I-75, you're aware, you're conscious, that you are exceeding the speed limit.

Are the cops, or an increase of insurance costs, the only things preventing you from doing that?

If you were to kill somebody else due to that excessive rate of speed, would you have a guilty conscious, or would you say it sucks to be the victim?

How can you quantify, or measure, a guilty conscience?

Or think about it like God can give a person over to a reprobate mind. Some people after a life of quenching the spirit have lost the ability to have a guilty conscience. These people have lost the sense of the moral goodness of one's conduct, intentions or character together with a feeling of obligation to do right or be good.

richard-ramirez.jpg

Peaceful Sabbath.

Dave Watchman

I like this bit from your link.

Man, I know that it's true. I whack my thumb that weekend turned me into a swearing demon from hell.

Turns that Pastor's wife into a drunken sailor during labor pains, calling up expletives previously unknown, the midwives are apparently used to it:

Natural pain relief
Research we conducted involved asking volunteers to hold their hand in iced water for as long as they could tolerate, while repeating a swear word.

The same set of participants underwent the iced water test on a separate occasion, but this time they repeated a neutral, non-swear word. The heart rate of both sets of participants was monitored.

What we found was that those who swore withstood the pain of the ice-cold water for longer, rated it as less painful, and showed a greater increase in heart rate when compared to those who repeated a neutral word.

This suggests they had an emotional response to swearing and an activation of the fight or flight response: a natural defence mechanism that not only releases adrenalin and quickens the pulse, but also includes a natural pain relief known as stress-induced analgesia.

This research was inspired by the birth of my daughter when my wife swore profusely during agonising contractions. The midwives were surprisingly unfazed, and told us that swearing is a normal and common occurrence during childbirth - perhaps for reasons similar to our iced water study.​

Peaceful Sabbath.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I like this bit from your link.

Man, I know that it's true. I whack my thumb that weekend turned me into a swearing demon from hell.

Turns that Pastor's wife into a drunken sailor during labor pains, calling up expletives previously unknown, the midwives are apparently used to it:

Natural pain relief
Research we conducted involved asking volunteers to hold their hand in iced water for as long as they could tolerate, while repeating a swear word.

The same set of participants underwent the iced water test on a separate occasion, but this time they repeated a neutral, non-swear word. The heart rate of both sets of participants was monitored.

What we found was that those who swore withstood the pain of the ice-cold water for longer, rated it as less painful, and showed a greater increase in heart rate when compared to those who repeated a neutral word.

This suggests they had an emotional response to swearing and an activation of the fight or flight response: a natural defence mechanism that not only releases adrenalin and quickens the pulse, but also includes a natural pain relief known as stress-induced analgesia.

This research was inspired by the birth of my daughter when my wife swore profusely during agonising contractions. The midwives were surprisingly unfazed, and told us that swearing is a normal and common occurrence during childbirth - perhaps for reasons similar to our iced water study.​

Peaceful Sabbath.
Some certainly do use swearing as normality, and often in front of their children which is probably not a good idea, but for others it enhances range and flavour in any language. I'm not prone to such in general since I was brought up to be a nice courteous person. :mask:

Dave Watchman

Some certainly do use swearing as normality, and often in front of their children which is probably not a good idea, but for others it enhances range and flavour in any language. I'm not prone to such in general since I was brought up to be a nice courteous person.

So I wonder what would happen if they took an innocent person, say a nun who lived her life in a Catholic Convent, and did the pain/profanity experiment on her.

Would the heart rate of a nice person, a courteous person, increase at a higher rate than an individual who is more experienced in the art of profanity?

From your link:

"What we found was that those who swore withstood the pain of the ice-cold water for longer, rated it as less painful, and showed a greater increase in heart rate when compared to those who repeated a neutral word.​

I find it interesting that the people who swore had an increased heart rate, an emotional response to the swearing and an activation of the fight or flight response, where the people using a neutral word did not.

This suggests to me we may not be alone in our experience.

This is why i had originally asked the question about remembering the first time we swore as an innocent child.

Somehow this body/soul/spirit deal is intertwined with a conscience that tugs at and is witness to our decision making process.

When a seemingly minor thing like the use of profanity in an experiment can cause an increase in heart rate.

Peaceful Sabbath.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Question. Is a soul a disembodied person needing a body? A ghost?
No, a soul is always associated with a physical body while living in this world and after the physical body dies and ascends to the spiritual world, the soul is associated with a new kind of body, a spiritual body.

“The world beyond is as different from this world as this world is different from that of the child while still in the womb of its mother. When the soul attaineth the Presence of God, it will assume the form that best befitteth its immortality and is worthy of its celestial habitation.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 157

“The answer to the third question is this, that in the other world the human reality doth not assume a physical form, rather doth it take on a heavenly form, made up of elements of that heavenly realm.” Selections From the Writings of ‘Abdu’l-Bahá, p. 194

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I genuinely cannot understand KJV like verses. You'd have to do a little English translation if not a rephrase.

No, a soul is always associated with a physical body while living in this world and after the physical body dies and ascends to the spiritual world, the soul is associated with a new kind of body, a spiritual body.

Since the soul isn't disembodied person, what is it that it can associate with the physical body as a separate thing?

Is there a definition of what a soul is that is distinctively separate from the physical body?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Since the soul isn't disembodied person, what is it that it can associate with the physical body as a separate thing?
The nature of the soul is a mystery. Baha'u'llah wrote that the soul is a sign of God, a heavenly gem whose reality the most learned of men have failed to grasp, and whose mystery no mind, however acute, can ever hope to unravel.

We can know what the some of the functions if the soul are, just not its nature. For example, we can know that the soul is the self, the personality of the person that continues into the afterlife, and the body is just matter with no identity. We are not our bodies, we are a soul operating through a body.
Is there a definition of what a soul is that is distinctively separate from the physical body?
The soul is not separate for the physical body. The soul is associated with the physical body and it gives the body life and allows it to function. The soul expresses itself through the physical body while we are alive on earth. Then after we die, the soul leaves the physical body and associates with a spiritual body.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
The soul is not separate for the physical body. The soul is associated with the physical body and it gives the body life and allows it to function. The soul expresses itself through the physical body while we are alive on earth. Then after we die, the soul leaves the physical body and associates with a spiritual body.

What's a spiritual body?

I know soul and spirit is used interchangeability, though I use spirit to say what "is" life in the body rather than something given. The soul would be the identity of a person but not a separate entity from physical body associated with a "spiritual" one.

That's how I'd see it but a soul giving life to a spiritual body, what does that mean?

(And thank you for putting Bahaullah's explanation in your own words)

Last edited:

Jeremiah Ames

I believe the flesh is just a vessel

And that we are our soul/spirit

Although I prefer the term "consciousness"

But I can imagine a person who behaves and does things but who isn't conscious as we are - who is controlled directly by The Simulation rather than by any consciousness. Basically, a "non-player character"

I think there are more NPCs than people think and that I have encountered several.

i thought this same thing (although I did not use the term NPC, very appropriate term btw).

i quantified it roughly through my experiences, and concluded that roughly 90% are NPC’s

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
What's a spiritual body?

I know soul and spirit is used interchangeability, though I use spirit to say what "is" life in the body rather than something given. The soul would be the identity of a person but not a separate entity from physical body associated with a "spiritual" one.

That's how I'd see it but a soul giving life to a spiritual body, what does that mean?

(And think you for putting Baha'u'llah's explanation in your own words)
Nobody really knows what a spiritual body is like except for the fact that it is not physical, and we will not know until we get to the spiritual realm of existence and have a spiritual body. Baha'u'llah did not describe it except to say it is a form. Abdu'l-Baha said it will be comprised of heavenly elements that exist in the heavenly realm. Of course we do not know what the heavenly realm will be like so we cannot know what those elements are.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
So I wonder what would happen if they took an innocent person, say a nun who lived her life in a Catholic Convent, and did the pain/profanity experiment on her.

Would the heart rate of a nice person, a courteous person, increase at a higher rate than an individual who is more experienced in the art of profanity?

From your link:

"What we found was that those who swore withstood the pain of the ice-cold water for longer, rated it as less painful, and showed a greater increase in heart rate when compared to those who repeated a neutral word.​

I find it interesting that the people who swore had an increased heart rate, an emotional response to the swearing and an activation of the fight or flight response, where the people using a neutral word did not.

This suggests to me we may not be alone in our experience.

This is why i had originally asked the question about remembering the first time we swore as an innocent child.

Somehow this body/soul/spirit deal is intertwined with a conscience that tugs at and is witness to our decision making process.

When a seemingly minor thing like the use of profanity in an experiment can cause an increase in heart rate.

Peaceful Sabbath.
Well my views on profanity or swearing are mainly to do with intention, or lack of it so often. I wouldn't deliberately use words that might offend the religious for example out of respect, although no doubt much of what I might say or write would be offensive to some. Simple swearing often just becomes habit from being in certain environments and most are used thoughtlessly without regard to others. On the other hand, many will use swearing to emphasise or to create humour, and history has thoughtfully provided many examples for us to use. :eek:

Not sure I can remember my first swear words - we certainly didn't swear in our house, and neither did my parents. I suppose a sense of liberation came from doing so - it being so condemned by many. :oops:

Last edited: