• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Can God's Love Be Unconditional?

Troublemane

Hell is self-inflicted. It comes from (1) denial of others' inherent sacredness (since God is everything, denial of inherent sacredness in others implies denial of sacredness in self); (2) actions that denigrate/obfuscate the inherent connection to deity in self and/or others (which is the spirit, our connection to the divine); and (3) continued denial/aggression against the inherent connection with the sacredness of all naturally leads to the continued isolation of the ego from the spirit.

The mind comes to perceive its own spirit as a possessing demon, a creature it has no control over, sent to torment it/punish it for wrongdoing. in fact this is but the shadow of the self, the dark aspect that has been rejected by the mind, and punished for being "bad" or "wrong", so it becomes alienated and, like a wounded animal, now seeks to devour its tormentor--the superego.

Remember that the spirit (or astral self) is just a projection of your desires, it seeks only to do your will. So when you project onto it the idea its a MONSTER...wow, look out. It becomes exactly that.

The self then becomes divided into a mythic-type battle, within itself. Only no one will win, because the combatants are merely aspects of the same person. Only after these disparate parts of self are re-integrated into the persona can sanity be re-established. i think this can best be accomplished through (a) acceptance of the inherent sacredness of all beings (including oneself), and (b) the rejection of any mythical belief in a purely beneficent "god" and purely destructive "devil". The reason for the latter is it is divisive to the psyche to believe in a devil which was created by a benevolent God purely for the purposes of destroying us. It will lead to madness to attempt to believe this completely. I think one must hold one's own mind and spirit with the sanctity of a temple, and not permit any such fallacy to exist there.

God's love must be unconditional, since God is all existence, there is nothing God would not permit to exist, for in denying anyone or anything, God denies Himself--which is impossible. Satan (the deciever) is merely an illusion projected by people's minds when they see their own shadows and think "YIKES! WTH is THAT!" then try and disown it. But believe it or not, all things, even the most terrible person imaginable, is part of the divine.

Behold! despite the great tyrants of history, despite the devastations of war, the Mountains stand firm, the sun still rises and the stars still shine, heedless of our joy or sorrow. So should we. :D

Last edited:

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Hell is self-inflicted. It comes from (1) denial of others' inherent sacredness (since God is everything, denial of inherent sacredness in others implies denial of sacredness in self); (2) actions that denigrate/obfuscate the inherent connection to deity in self and/or others (which is the spirit, our connection to the divine); and (3) continued denial/aggression against the inherent connection with the sacredness of all naturally leads to the continued isolation of the ego from the spirit.

The mind comes to perceive its own spirit as a possessing demon, a creature it has no control over, sent to torment it/punish it for wrongdoing. in fact this is but the shadow of the self, the dark aspect that has been rejected by the mind, and punished for being "bad" or "wrong", so it becomes alienated and, like a wounded animal, now seeks to devour its tormentor--the superego.

Remember that the spirit (or astral self) is just a projection of your desires, it seeks only to do your will. So when you project onto it the idea its a MONSTER...wow, look out. It becomes exactly that.

The self then becomes divided into a mythic-type battle, within itself. Only no one will win, because the combatants are merely aspects of the same person. Only after these disparate parts of self are re-integrated into the persona can sanity be re-established. i think this can best be accomplished through (a) acceptance of the inherent sacredness of all beings (including oneself), and (b) the rejection of any mythical belief in a purely beneficent "god" and purely destructive "devil". The reason for the latter is it is divisive to the psyche to believe in a devil which was created by a benevolent God purely for the purposes of destroying us. It will lead to madness to attempt to believe this completely. I think one must hold one's own mind and spirit with the sanctity of a temple, and not permit any such fallacy to exist there.

God's love must be unconditional, since God is all existence, there is nothing God would not permit to exist, for in denying anyone or anything, God denies Himself--which is impossible. Satan (the deciever) is merely an illusion projected by people's minds when they see their own shadows and think "YIKES! WTH is THAT!" then try and disown it. But believe it or not, all things, even the most terrible person imaginable, is part of the divine.

Behold! despite the great tyrants of history, despite the devastations of war, the Mountains stand firm, the sun still rises and the stars still shine, heedless of our joy or sorrow. So should we. :D

And my brother only says that because he copied this incredible insight from me and my own notes. *shakes fist at Mike* :p

Who am I kidding........you rock! Excellent post! :jam:

antonio

How does God love us unconditionally? When did you begin believing everything men say or write? And just because someone but a binding on what they wrote and had someone stamp in gold on the cover, "Holy Bible" , why would you believe it then?
Now that doesn't mean you believe nothing. It means you use your mind and your powers of judgment to decide what is true. Use your head. Do you know anyone that has conquered sin. If not, then no one goes to heaven under the Judgment Theology.

Id say it looks like God has been hanging in there with us for a long time. I'd go with"He loves us", and boot the "Judgment Theology.
antonio

Wandered Off

Sporadic Driveby Member
Id say it looks like God has been hanging in there with us for a long time. I'd go with"He loves us", and boot the "Judgment Theology.
Hmmm.... When I look at the world, I reach a rather different conclusion. Maybe I'm hanging in the wrong places.

blackout

Violet.

That was a FABULOUS post.

Fabulous, fabulous, fabulous.* :cool:

*as in "exceedingly great"

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member

Behold! despite the great tyrants of history, despite the devastations of war, the Mountains stand firm, the sun still rises and the stars still shine, heedless of our joy or sorrow. So should we.
I wish this were true...

OT or NT it's all part of the bible.
Yes... the Christian Bible is made up of the OT and NT...

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Does this mean your version of what's true isn't as "good"?
Hmm... given a re-reading, I wish parts of it were true... I wish there weren't an external evil in existance...

I love that I have a "purely beneficent" God who loves me, and I have no wish/desire to reject Him ;)

Well...I'll start off by saying, "It's a good question".
I myself have asked this countless times, and I still don't think that I've found the perfect answer. Who will?
But I can say that...
He WILL love you forever, no matter what you do and how many times you do it. For those of us who believe in Him, and follow Him, His love is what will bring us to the Kingdom of Heaven.
For those of you who choose (note how I say choose) not to listen to His word, you're going to hell. I don't mean to condemn or judge anyone by saying this, (only God can do that) but in my eyes, it is the truth.

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
For those of you who choose (note how I say choose) not to listen to His word, you're going to hell. I don't mean to condemn or judge anyone by saying this, (only God can do that) but in my eyes, it is the truth.

So, the ones who disobey God go to hell, and the ones who don't believe in him don't?
And obeying God just means following your religion? or be nice? or...?

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
I myself have asked this countless times, and I still don't think that I've found the perfect answer. Who will?
But I can say that...
He WILL love you forever, no matter what you do and how many times you do it. For those of us who believe in Him, and follow Him, His love is what will bring us to the Kingdom of Heaven.

Sounds like a nice God. Somewhat of an ultimatum proposed there, join me or suffer. Explains some of why i do not follow God.
However, you say he will always love you, how is sending you to hell showing love?

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
Because you chose it. Duh! You're getting what you always wanted. ;)

I know, endless supplies of bacon was enough for me to be converted to the dark side, Satan didn't even have to wave cookies in front of me, i know, i'm easy ;)

Seriously though, why would we want to accept a God that will banish us to hell (this is from a god-fearing perspective) if we don't choose to play nice? Is submitting to a life of restriction God's way of sorting out the good from the 'bad.'

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
But I can say that...
So, what you're saying is that our capacity for sin is greater than God's ability to forgive?

God's love is conditional upon our acceptance of it?

God doesn't get God's way, ultimately, because our will is more important than God's?

You're placing an awfully high value on human free will. We're free to reject God. Why isn't God free to reject our rejection?

rojse

RF Addict
OT was written in such a way that God's sovereignty is always emphasized. As a result, you may find that it's said the devil did something while in another chapter regarding to the exact same event it's said God did that.

Will you show the verse where first born sons are killed? I never read that humans are sacrificed actually. I think ancient Jews can sacrifice animals for any needs.

I might not have communicated my point clearly. In Exodus, God kills all of the firstborn sons, and all of the first-born cattle.

Levictus is the book that gives God's instructions for sacrificing animals.