• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Can God's Love Be Unconditional?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
To compare God to a saddistic heathen father is just dopey.
If that child, turns around and passes it on to his children, yes, he chose his bed.
Read the Hebrew bible and any father who does this would have been covered with stones and this type behavior would not exist.
To read the bible from the back of the book is also dopey.

But the bible does portray god as a rather infantile and brutish ogre.

Ronald

See, that's another problem. Each person has their own little perception of who and what god is and isn't. Who's version should we trust?
The version that Moshe wrote! The Torah. After you have done that pickup a book called "Wisdom in the Hebrew Alphabet" by R. Michael Munk, when you have a handle on that God, then read the NT with new eyes and with the aid of the Ruach HaQodesh/Comforter he will bring to your rememberance all that he has said to you.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
Do you think that says more about God or the authors of the bible?

Is it not the best representation of God? Could also attribute some things to the primitive age of the bible, in Christian countries we don't see stoning anymore.

Ronald: So religious people are immune to harming their children and are heathens? Wow, great analysis there. Also isn't the bible many books complied together therefore regardless of where you start it should be similiar?

kmkemp

Is it not the best representation of God? Could also attribute some things to the primitive age of the bible, in Christian countries we don't see stoning anymore.

Men wrote the bible, not God. It's important to note that every word need not be taken as gospel truth.

blackout

Violet.
Show me 20 different christians,
and I'll show you 20 different christianities.

And each one will be prepared to tell you why theirs is right.

It is near impossible to have a "christian" conversation
because not even christians can agree about real BASIC things.

kmkemp

Show me 20 different christians,
and I'll show you 20 different christianities.

And each one will be prepared to tell you why theirs is right.

It is near impossible to have a "christian" conversation
because not even christians can agree about real BASIC things.

That's because the things that people want to talk about don't generally involve the central thesis of the Christian faith.

blackout

Violet.
I grew up Roman Catholic.

Trust me, in some EXTREEMELY MAJOR christian circles
the concept of eternal hell ACCOMPANIES every other "central thesis".

This eternal hellfire thing is nothing fringe to christianity at large.

Ronald

Ronald: So religious people are immune to harming their children and are heathens? Wow, great analysis there. Also isn't the bible many books complied together therefore regardless of where you start it should be similiar?
Religious people could be any person of any religion, even satanism.
As for the bible being many books compiled together. The Torah is all written by Moshe, the first five books of the bible, this is the beginning and the foundation of faith, an understanding you need. When you start with a bunch of false stories and the precepts of man, which brought you Christmas, e_ster, Sunday worship. How can a religion filled with falsehoods lead you to the Truth and that truth set you free?
LOL

Hawkins

It's us who don't understand what unconditional could mean.

If I don't love stones, I don't love rubbish in my backyard, does it mean that my love is conditional. No it only means that I don't understand what "unconditional" is.

So the question now becomes, do you need to love rubbish in order to make your love unconditional? God's answer is no, while your answer is yes. That seems to be the case.

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
It's us who don't understand what unconditional could mean.

If I don't love stones, I don't love rubbish in my backyard, does it mean that my love is conditional. No it only means that I don't understand what "unconditional" is.

So the question now becomes, do you need to love rubbish in order to make your love unconditional? God's answer is no, while your answer is yes. That seems to be the case.

Hi Hawkins!

Welcome to the Forum!

Have you ever experienced unconditional love for someone? Just curious.

rojse

RF Addict
Because I never said nor inferred that hell is a way that God shows love, but that the reality of hell doesn't discount God's benevolence.

Yes it does. If you are condemned to hell for eternity, regardless of how you regretful you are of your actions, I cannot see how this is God showing his benevolence.

Your question is set up in such a way to make your argument. If your god in this thread were really the Abrahamic God, you would include his other attributes such as being infinitely just. How can you reconcile his justness with his goodness? That is a hard question to answer, but skipping it just makes the following questions meaningless.

Honestly, that makes any resulting argument worse - is it just for someone who is a thief to spend eternity in hell, while a mass murder gets the same sentence?

Hawkins

Hi Hawkins!

Welcome to the Forum!

Have you ever experienced unconditional love for someone? Just curious.

I think that by definition, we can't know what unconditional love is, as we are talking about what absolute and infinity is. While God's love is unconditional.

That is, define unconditional, everyone may have a different defination about what "unconditional" is.

And since I have ever experienced the love from God. So yes, I ever experienced unconditional love.

Last edited:

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
Religious people could be any person of any religion, even satanism.
As for the bible being many books compiled together. The Torah is all written by Moshe, the first five books of the bible, this is the beginning and the foundation of faith, an understanding you need. When you start with a bunch of false stories and the precepts of man, which brought you Christmas, e_ster, Sunday worship. How can a religion filled with falsehoods lead you to the Truth and that truth set you free?
LOL

Well thats the point, it can't, the truth simply isn't out there for us to understand. Its starnge how the bible changes form between each thread, in "does the bible justify itself" a Christian claimed the bible was several different authors, where as you claim it was less. Thank you for proving another point for me.

rojse

RF Addict
The eye of the beholder! You must have an event in mind? So I don't have to recap the whole Torah in one setting, share where you think he is any of those things. Okay?

Oh, a soft ball.

Genesis - God drowns the entire world, leaving only Noah and his family.
Exodus - God kills every single first-born child, then kills all of the firstborn cattle.
Levictus - nine entire chapters devoted to detailed instructions on how to offer sacrifices of animals to god.
Deutronomy - God's followers are instructed to kill an entire city

I could go further, but does this prove the point or not?

cardero

Citizen Mod
The version that Moshe wrote! The Torah. After you have done that pickup a book called "Wisdom in the Hebrew Alphabet" by R. Michael Munk, when you have a handle on that God, then read the NT with new eyes and with the aid of the Ruach HaQodesh/Comforter he will bring to your rememberance all that he has said to you.
Tony: Here your ice cream..
(Tony tells him Sun-Up is the worst horse on the track and offers him a $1 hint book.)

Tony: One dollar and you'll remember me all your life.

Hackenbush: That's the most nauseating proposition I ever had.
(Hackenbush succumbs to his greed and buys the code book.)

Tony: Here your ice cream. Tootsie-frootsie ice cream.
(The code book says that horse Z-V-B-X-R-P-L will win the next race. Tony offers a free code book to decode the letters.)

Tony: ...just a one dollar printing charge.

Hackenbush: Well, uh, give me one without printing. I'm sick of printing.
(Tony also attempts to sell him a free master code book, without a printing charge, but with a delivery charge.)

Tony: ...just a two dollar delivery charge.

Hackenbush: What do you mean delivery charge? I'm standing right next to you.

Tony: Well, for such a short distance, I make it a dollar.

Hackenbush: Couldn't I move over here and make it uh - fifty cents?

Tony: Yes, but I'd move over here and make it a dollar just the same.
(Tony continues to offer advice with a $5 set of four Breeder's Guides to decipher the master code book.)

Hackenbush: All I wanted was a horse, not a public library.
(Hackenbush buys them too. Tony takes his cash to the betting window and bets $6 on Sun-Up, while Hackenbush is distracted balancing all his guide and hint books in his arms and between his legs.)
(Tony then offers him ten jockey's guides at $1 a piece with the names of the jockeys instead of the horses, because he doesn't have change for a $10 bill.)

Hackenbush: ....Say, you don't handle any bookcases there, do you?

-The "Tootsie Frootsie" skit from the Marx Bros. A DAY AT THE RACES.

Last edited:

Hawkins

Oh, a soft ball.

Genesis - God drowns the entire world, leaving only Noah and his family.
Exodus - God kills every single first-born child, then kills all of the firstborn cattle.
Levictus - nine entire chapters devoted to detailed instructions on how to offer sacrifices of animals to god.
Deutronomy - God's followers are instructed to kill an entire city

I could go further, but does this prove the point or not?

Sad things do happened in human history ----> fact

God allows that for His own reasons, and from the point of view of sovereignty, you can say everything is done by Him. If on the other hand, sad things do occur on earth while it's said that God didn't do that. Then who did that? Anyway, you will complain that God can't stop sad things to occur.

So live with that for awhile, sad things will occur on Earth, that's how and why earth was made. It's clearly said that Earth is not Heaven, Earth is not ever Heaven-like. For a good reason, earth is made for purpose, yet it seems that God either owns its sovereignty such that you can blame Him for whatever occurred, or He denies His sovereighnty such that you can blame Him for incapable of stopping the sad things.

rojse

RF Addict
Sad things do happened in human history ----> fact

Most of my examples are God doing things. Who else made the world-wide flood, for example? Who killed every firstborn son and calf in Egypt? Perhaps the genocide cannot be directly attributed to God, but everything else can.

God allows that for His own reasons, and from the point of view of sovereignty, you can say everything is done by Him. If on the other hand, sad things do occur on earth while it's said that God didn't do that.

That's news to me.

Then who did that? Anyway, you will complain that God can't stop sad things to occur.

These aren't a question of God stopping sad things from occuring, it's a question of God causing these sad things to occur. I don't see how a world-wide flood is a natural event, nor each first-born son dying through God's orders. That's not natural, that's through God's orders.

So live with that for awhile, sad things will occur on Earth, that's how and why earth was made. It's clearly said that Earth is not Heaven, Earth is not ever Heaven-like. For a good reason, earth is made for purpose, yet it seems that God either owns its sovereignty such that you can blame Him for whatever occurred, or He denies His sovereighnty such that you can blame Him for incapable of stopping the sad things.