• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How can a Jew reject Jesus as the Messiah?

Skywalker

Why "walked away"? Doesn't Christianity celebrate the human sacrifice of Jesus? Seems quite similar to what the Native Americans did...

The death of Jesus was about the deepest expression of love that Jesus had for his creation. It was not about human sacrifice. It was like if a father was a judge and he took the place of his son who committed a crime. Jesus died so that anyone who would repent of their sins and put their trust in Him would be forgiven and granted the gift of everlasting life.

rosends

Those people have no bias in what they say. They have discussions about whey they don't believe in the Bible and Jesus. They believe that the Old Testament talks about the Messiah being a Savior because they read the Old Testament and come to that conclusion. The more you read the Bible, the more you notice things that you didn't notice earlier.
The people I quoted have no bias in what they say. They have an opinion about the gospels based on having read it and measured it against reality. The more you read the gospels, the more you notice things that are wrong.

Skywalker

The people I quoted have no bias in what they say. They have an opinion about the gospels based on having read it and measured it against reality. The more you read the gospels, the more you notice things that are wrong.

To figure out if something is true, you have to look at all the evidence and figure out if there is bias for or against certain beliefs. I believe that there is bias against believing in Jesus because admitting that we need a Savior takes a lot of humility. I believe that influences interpretations that ignore details, like Joseph being legally the son of Heli, and Mary being a descendant of Nathan, and the stepfather of Jesus being a decedant of Solomon.

rosends

To figure out if something is true, you have to look at all the evidence and figure out if there is bias for or against certain beliefs. I believe that there is bias against believing in Jesus because admitting that we need a Savior takes a lot of humility. I believe that influences interpretations that ignore details, like Joseph being legally the son of Heli, and Mary being a descendant of Nathan, and the stepfather of Jesus being a decedant of Solomon.
I believe that there is a bias against not believing in Jesus because admitting that the gospels are full of garbage undercuts your entire existence and that's scary for you. I believe that this influence you to accept errors and lies and discount other opinions. I believe that, like you know that chocolate is better, you, underneath it all, know that Jesus is a fraud but you run away from that because you are afraid. Be strong!

Skywalker

I believe that there is a bias against not believing in Jesus because admitting that the gospels are full of garbage undercuts your entire existence and that's scary for you. I believe that this influence you to accept errors and lies and discount other opinions. I believe that, like you know that chocolate is better, you, underneath it all, know that Jesus is a fraud but you run away from that because you are afraid. Be strong!

What garbage are in the gospels? The sayings of Jesus permeate society to this day and they have the ring of truth to most people. His enemies could not find any sin in him. He had spotless character. Can someone whose words are the greatest moral teachings the world has ever known-, and whose words and deeds have had the greatest impact on this world-could that man at the same time have been a liar about Himself, God, and where humanity would spend eternity?

rosends

What garbage are in the gospels? The sayings of Jesus permeate society to this day and they have the ring of truth to most people. His enemies could not find any sin in him. He had spotless character. Can someone whose words are the greatest moral teachings the world has ever known-, and whose words and deeds have had the greatest impact on this world-could that man at the same time have been a liar about Himself, God, and where humanity would spend eternity?
You ask after I went through the trouble of linking to a website you could read it all? Are you saying that a rhetorical method in which I make a claim and then just provide a link is not useful???

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
The death of Jesus was about the deepest expression of love that Jesus had for his creation. It was not about human sacrifice. It was like if a father was a judge and he took the place of his son who committed a crime. Jesus died so that anyone who would repent of their sins and put their trust in Him would be forgiven and granted the gift of everlasting life.
Yes, survival. Be able to live - just like the Aztecs. See here:

Batya

Always Forward
Yes, survival. Be able to live - just like the Aztecs. See here:
Well, I think Yeshua's death had a whole different dynamic than human sacrifice. Human sacrifice was something done by people to appease god/gods, Yeshua's death on the other hand (if one will take it the way it's written) was him offering himself. It was not to appease an angry God, but to reconcile us to God.

Skywalker

How is there bias against being an atheist? Being an atheist fits people's idea of they are their own god and they make their own morals. Believing that there is no God is easier than believing that you have to ask for forgiveness and that there is accountability. You don't have to get very far in the Bible before seeing people wanting to be their own god. Bible Gateway Genesis 3 :: NIV

'" "You will not surely die," the serpent said to the woman. "For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil."

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, I think Yeshua's death had a whole different dynamic than human sacrifice. Human sacrifice was something done by people to appease god/gods, Yeshua's death on the other hand (if one will take it the way it's written) was him offering himself. It was not to appease an angry God, but to reconcile us to God.
Don't get me wrong. I have zero interest in arguing against Christianity in this thread. I'm trying to understand @Skywalker's POV.

rosends

How is there bias against being an atheist? Being an atheist fits people's idea of they are their own god and they make their own morals. Believing that there is no God is easier than believing that you have to ask for forgiveness and that there is accountability. You don't have to get very far in the Bible before seeing people wanting to be their own god. Bible Gateway Genesis 3 :: NIV
There is plenty of bias -- for example, you have already said that all people know Jesus but they choose to rebel against that knowledge so you are judging them as making a negative choice. This is a bias. Of course, your restatement of atheism as people being "their own god and make their own moral" just shows a lack of understanding about atheism, but that's what makes the bias work -- ignorance.

Skywalker

There is plenty of bias -- for example, you have already said that all people know Jesus but they choose to rebel against that knowledge so you are judging them as making a negative choice. This is a bias. Of course, your restatement of atheism as people being "their own god and make their own moral" just shows a lack of understanding about atheism, but that's what makes the bias work -- ignorance.

Thou shall not doesn't mean that we don't understand what God is saying. It's that we don't want to do what God is saying. It seems pretty straightforward that God says "No" to some things, but somewhere deep within us is a rebellious spirit that wants to do otherwise.

rosends

Thou shall not doesn't mean that we don't understand what God is saying. It's that we don't want to do what God is saying. It seems pretty straightforward that God says "No" to some things, but somewhere deep within us is a rebellious spirit that wants to do otherwise.
This must explain why you hold tight to Jesus even though God says not to. You have that rebellious sprit. :(

Skywalker

This must explain why you hold tight to Jesus even though God says not to. You have that rebellious sprit. :(

Human nature of pride and wanting to be our own god explains why believing in Jesus is not convenient and why it's more convenient to be an unbeliever.

rosends

Human nature of pride and wanting to be our own god explains why believing in Jesus is not convenient and why it's more convenient to be an unbeliever.
Human nature of self preservation even of flawed schema explains why believing in Jesus is convenient and accepting truth is less convenient.

Skywalker

Human nature of self preservation even of flawed schema explains why believing in Jesus is convenient and accepting truth is less convenient.

The presence of a Messiah or hell and sometimes both, in even faiths that have nothing to do with the Bible show that without fully realizing it, people know that there is a Savior and a hell.

Ecclesiastes 3:1-8, says

For everything there is a season, A time for every activity under heaven. A time to be born and a time to die.

Some people think these words were written decades ago for a song by the Byrds, but actually these timeless words were inspired thousands of years before that by God.

These words hit us deeply because they're true: There is a time to live, and a time to die, for each one of us. The question is, what will happen to us once our time to die comes? What happens to us after that last heartbeat? God has placed an awareness of eternity in the heart of every man and woman. Deep down in our hearts, we all know intuitively that there is more than just this life, that there is something beyond the grave. The Bible says that we each have a body, soul, and spirit. 1 Thessalonians 5:23

And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray Godyour whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

rosends

The presence of a Messiah or hell and sometimes both, in even faiths that have nothing to do with the Bible show that without fully realizing it, people know that there is a Savior and a hell.

Ecclesiastes 3:1-8, says

Some people think these words were written decades ago for a song by the Byrds, but actually these timeless words were inspired thousands of years before that by God.

These words hit us deeply because they're true: There is a time to live, and a time to die, for each one of us. The question is, what will happen to us once our time to die comes? What happens to us after that last heartbeat? God has placed an awareness of eternity in the heart of every man and woman. Deep down in our hearts, we all know intuitively that there is more than just this life, that there is something beyond the grave. The Bible says that we each have a body, soul, and spirit. 1 Thessalonians 5:23
you misunderstand the verse. It is talking about plants -- that's why it says "season". Deep down we know that the cacao beans will return! Why must you insist on vanilla beans?

rosends

Season also means a proper or suitable time.
and, it is the name of a food company!
images