• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How can a Jew reject Jesus as the Messiah?

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Jesus is mentioned in the Tanakh because the Tanakh mentions that the Messiah would be rejected by Israel and would have a messenger sent before him and he would have a new covenant exchanging the law for grace. Jesus was silent before his accusers. Pilate commented on Jesus not speaking to him. Messianic Prophecies Fulfilled by Yeshua

In Malachi 3:1, God identifies himself as the Messiah because in the New Testament Jesus said that John the Baptist prepared the way before him. John the Baptist was the forerunner of Jesus. John the Baptist: Messenger for Messiah
Jesus chose to limit himself in his humanity when he was on the earth. Even in his limitations, it's implied that Jesus is God because Jesus knew the future. https://carm.org/about-jesus/did-jesus-know-the-future/

Jesus definately knew the future. Being God in flesh (John 1:1, 14; Colossians 2:9) because he had ordained it (Ephesians 1:11). Please consider the following verses that show that Jesus prophesied about the future.
Have a nice day, stay safe.

YoursTrue

Based on the Tanakh, what makes Rabbinic Judaism more authorotative than the teachings of the Jewish Christians? Jewish Christian - Wikipedia

Jewish Christians practiced Christianity in a Jewish way. They were first and foremost Jewish and Christian. Messianic Jews often consider themselves first and foremost Jewish, because of the division between Judaism and Christianity. The early Christians practiced Judaism alongside Christianity.

Jesus didn't directly say he was God because he didn't want to claim to be God the Father. Revisiting “Where Did Jesus Say ‘I am God’” – A Response to the Muhammedan Site “Do Not Say Trinity”
Have a nice day, be safe.

YoursTrue

Based on the Tanakh, what makes Rabbinic Judaism more authorotative than the teachings of the Jewish Christians? Jewish Christian - Wikipedia

Jewish Christians practiced Christianity in a Jewish way. They were first and foremost Jewish and Christian. Messianic Jews often consider themselves first and foremost Jewish, because of the division between Judaism and Christianity. The early Christians practiced Judaism alongside Christianity.

Jesus didn't directly say he was God because he didn't want to claim to be God the Father. Revisiting “Where Did Jesus Say ‘I am God’” – A Response to the Muhammedan Site “Do Not Say Trinity”
Bye...have a nice day.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member

So what besides his identity do you say Jesus lied about?

Skywalker

So what besides his identity do you say Jesus lied about?

Jesus wasn't lying. He didn't want people to think that he was God the Father. The Angel of the Lord in the Old Testament is God but yet distinct from Giod. He told Moses "I am that I am". Jesus told the Pharisees, "Before Abraham was, I am."

Skywalker

♠ Because Jesus is mentioned nowhere in the Tanakh. The idea that he is indeed mentioned is a Christian retrofit, and a botched job at that.
No, the religious leader who is the messiah is anointed by the Jewish priesthood ─ a qualification Jesus never got near.
That brings us back to the point ─ Jesus in all four gospels denies that he's God and never claims to be God, and Paul and the authors of 2 Timothy and 1John agree. The Trinity is never mentioned in the Bible, not least because it didn't exist till the 4th century, and neither Jesus nor the gospel writers had ever heard of it.
No, the idea of being one with God is, as I recall, only found in John, and the idea is explained in John 17:20+, which makes it plain that being one with God is available to everyone who believes in God's servant / envoy Jesus.
You said that before. It means that Jesus was a liar and a deceiver as to his true nature and identity throughout his ministry.

Which is why I keep asking you what else Jesus lied and deceived about.
Yes, John's Jesus (non of the others) says that. And John's Jesus, as we mentioned before, (a) pre-existed in heaven with God (b) made the material universe and (c) said more often than any other version of Jesus that he was NOT God ─ I've both given you some of the quotes and also referred you to them. So John's Jesus was saying he pre-existed Abraham because he pre-existed the universe, which he'd made.

So ─ cut to the chase: what else than his true identity do you say Jesus lied about or misrepresented?

Job said, "Neither is there any mediator betwixt us, that might lay his hand upon us both." There wasn't a mediator before Jesus.

How could Jesus pre exist in heaven with God and create the universe if he wasn't God? Colossians 1:15-17

The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him: He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Jesus wasn't lying.
You specifically made him a liar. You said, having read (because I put them in front of you) samplings of the number of times he said with great clarity that he wasn't God, and knowing that he never said "I am God", that all this was a lie, that he was really God all along.

So either revise your opinion and acknowledge that Jesus isn't God and we have his repeated and consistent word for it, or tell me what else he lied about, what other important deceits he practiced.
How could Jesus pre exist in heaven with God and create the universe if he wasn't God? Colossians 1:15-17
Well, for a start, Colossians 1:3 says "God is the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ" thus affirming Paul's distinction, which you've already noted, between one God, the Father, and one Lord, Jesus Christ, who made the material universe. And you'll know from your reading that this view has echoes in gnosticism, where God is imagined as spirit too remote and too pure ever to contemplate soiling [his] mind with mere matter, so it falls to [his] lieutenant, called the demiurge (Greek, δημιουργόϛ 'craftsman') both to create the material world and to mediate between it and God.

So this model of Jesus, used by Paul and John but not the others, existed before Abraham because he existed before the material universe did.

(And even were your point correct, though it's not, this example might show Jesus to be an inconsistent liar, but he'd still be a liar an overwhelming proportion of the time in your view.)

Now back to the point ─ what else do you say Jesus lied about?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
As a Christian I consider the answers given by this Rabbi very good, honest and incontradictible. Satisfying.

Kelly of the Phoenix

People who believe in having a relationship with God wouldn't name their kids after God because if you have a relationship with God there is a different standard of respect. For example, people cursing God's name is more offensive to a Christian than someone just yelling and cursing or even cursing at a person.
They would. You are very ignorant of history. Rameses was named after a God named Ra. Israel is named after El. Jael is also named after El. Most ancient people have some kind of deity reference in their names.

Kelly of the Phoenix

How does Jediism teach people life lessons and how does it make an impact on history? It teaches that suffering comes from desires and it's good not to desire things, but you don't need Buddhism to know that not all things are beneficial and keeping it simple is better.
Given how few good Christians there are, Jesus didn’t really make much of a splash either .

Skywalker

They would. You are very ignorant of history. Rameses was named after a God named Ra. Israel is named after El. Jael is also named after El. Most ancient people have some kind of deity reference in their names.

Egyptian and Caananite religions were more focused on religious rituals than on having a relationship with God.

Skywalker

For starters, he isn’t mentioned until almost right before his betrayal. Peter is a worse traitor and likely blamed others for his faults.

But there are some of you who do not believe.” For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were who did not believe, and who it was that would betray Him. John 6:64

Jesus answered them, “Did I Myself not choose you, the twelve, and yet one of you is a devil?” 71 Now He meant Judas the son of Simon Iscariot, for he, one of the twelve, was going to betray Him. John 6:70-71

While I was with them, I was keeping them in Your name which You have given Me; and I guarded them and not one of them perished but the son of perdition, so that the Scripture would be fulfilled. John 17:12

The Son of Man is to go, just as it is written of Him; but woe to that man by whom the Son of Man is betrayed! It would have been good for that man if he had not been born. Matthew 26:24

These twelve Jesus sent out after instructing them: “Do not go in the way of the Gentiles, and do not enter any city of the Samaritans; 6 but rather go to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. 7 And as you go, preach, saying, ‘The kingdom of heaven is at hand.’ 8 Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse the lepers, cast out demons.Freely you received, freely give. Matthew 10:5-8