• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How can a Jew reject Jesus as the Messiah?

Skywalker

God's being one is (by definition) incompatible with the trinity whether or not you think a particular verse is related to this or not.

That's like saying that let us make man in our image is inconsistent with the Trinity because the name of Elohim is not referred to as the Trinity in that verse.

rosends

That's like saying that let us make man in our image is inconsistent with the Trinity because the name of Elohim is not referred to as the Trinity in that verse.
Well, if you can accept that Elohim is singular then you have to look elsewhere to support the trinity.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Since Jehovah is a jealous God, it doesn't make sense that he would create a junior deity.
Jehovah is the Most High God. Jesus knew he was the only true God, and said so. What truly doesn't make sense is that there is said to be THREE "deities," each equal to the other, and all of them existing without beginning. What m88akes sense is that Jehovah God, the Most High, was/is a Creator and wanted to make a companion who was with Him during the creative process and before for who knows how long? A long, long time. As the Word of God, he was with God from the beginning. (John 1:1-3) And was (and now is) a very powerful spirit person. Because Jehovah, his Father, gave him that power. But remember, he will turn over even himself to the Father, so that God will be all in all. Please read carefully:
1 Corinthians 15 - For “God has put everything under His feet.” Now when it says that everything has been put under Him, this clearly does not include the One who put everything under Him. 28. And when all things have been subjected to Him, then the Son Himself will be made subject to Him who put all things under Him, so that God may be all in all."

It wouldn't make sense, would it, to say that the Trinity (all three godpersons) put everything under Jesus' feet (one of the godpersons). Because Jesus is supposed to be equal to the others in the Trinity. Even if, as you say, they have "different roles." Jesus clearly and I mean clearly will be MADE SUBJECT to Him (not them or a trinity) who PUT all things under Him.
Even if a person says the three all decided to put everything under Jesus feet, yet at the same time doesn't include the One (who is that one?) under him. Nope. It only makes sense that the One who put everything under his (Jesus) feet is Jehovah. Nothing about three, or a trinity.

Skywalker

Yes, but it does invalidate your remark that "Genesis doesn't have to mention the name Yahweh or the title of the Godhead to be consistent with itself."

The singular God and the plural let us make man in our image do not contradict each other.

Skywalker

Jehovah is the Most High God. Jesus knew he was the only true God, and said so. What truly doesn't make sense is that there is said to be THREE "deities," each equal to the other, and all of them existing without beginning. What m88akes sense is that Jehovah God, the Most High, was/is a Creator and wanted to make a companion who was with Him during the creative process and before for who knows how long? A long, long time. As the Word of God, he was with God from the beginning. (John 1:1-3) And was (and now is) a very powerful spirit person. Because Jehovah, his Father, gave him that power. But remember, he will turn over even himself to the Father, so that God will be all in all. Please read carefully:
1 Corinthians 15 - For “God has put everything under His feet.” Now when it says that everything has been put under Him, this clearly does not include the One who put everything under Him. 28. And when all things have been subjected to Him, then the Son Himself will be made subject to Him who put all things under Him, so that God may be all in all."

It wouldn't make sense, would it, to say that the Trinity (all three godpersons) put everything under Jesus' feet (one of the godpersons). Because Jesus is supposed to be equal to the others in the Trinity. Even if, as you say, they have "different roles." Jesus clearly and I mean clearly will be MADE SUBJECT to Him (not them or a trinity) who PUT all things under Him.
Even if a person says the three all decided to put everything under Jesus feet, yet at the same time doesn't include the One (who is that one?) under him. Nope. It only makes sense that the One who put everything under his (Jesus) feet is Jehovah. Nothing about three, or a trinity.

There are verses in the Bible that describe Yahweh and Jesus with the same language.

"Abraham planted a tamarisk tree in Beersheba and called there on the name of Yahweh, the Everlasting God." Genesis 21:33

"Into your hand I commit my spirit; you have redeemed me, O Yahweh, faithful God." Psalm 31:5

"And it shall come to pass that everyone who calls on the name of Yahweh shall be saved. For in Mount Zion and in Jerusalem there shall be those who escape, as Yahweh has said, and among the survivors shall be those whom Yahweh calls." Joel 2:32

JESUS

"And as they were stoning Stephen, he called out, ‘Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.’ And falling to his knees he cried out with a loud voice, ‘Lord, do not hold this sin against them.’ And when he had said this, he fell asleep.’" Acts 7:59-60

"Now there was a disciple at Damascus named Ananias. The Lord said to him in a vision, ‘Ananias.’ And he said, ‘Here I am, Lord.’ And the Lord said to him, ‘Rise and go to the street called Straight, and at the house of Judas look for a man of Tarsus named Saul, for behold, he is praying, and he has seen in a vision a man named Ananias come in and lay his hands on him so that he might regain his sight.’ But Ananias answered, ‘Lord, I have heard from many about this man, how much evil he has done to your saints at Jerusalem. And here he has authority from the chief priests to bind all who call on your name’ ... So Ananias departed and entered the house. And laying his hands on him he said, ‘Brother Saul, the Lord Jesus who appeared to you on the road by which you came has sent me so that you may regain your sight and be filled with the Holy Spirit’… And all who heard him were amazed and said, ‘Is not this the man who made havoc in Jerusalem of those who called upon this name? And has he not come here for this purpose, to bring them bound before the chief priests?’" Acts 9:10-14, 17, 21

"because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved. For the Scripture says, ‘Everyone who believes in him will not be put to shame.’ For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; the same Lord is Lord of all, bestowing his riches on all who call on him. For ‘everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.’" Romans 10:9-13

"To the church of God that is in Corinth, to those sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints together with all those who in every place call upon the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, both their Lord and ours:" 1 Corinthians 1:2

rosends

The singular God and the plural let us make man in our image do not contradict each other.
I don't recall saying they do. Can you take a break from your scattershot claims and actually support your contention that I said something that would mandate your responding to it?

Skywalker

I don't recall saying they do. Can you take a break from your scattershot claims and actually support your contention that I said something that would mandate your responding to it?

Genesis 1:26.

And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.