• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How can a Jew reject Jesus as the Messiah?

Flankerl

1. OP asks loaded answer to Jews
2. Jews answer but they don't give the answer OP wants
3. Thread gets moved to another area because of some rule
4. All the Christians pile up to ask answers to Jews
5. poopemoji

Same as always.

Last edited:

Ehav4Ever

How is this possible?

To put it simply. The claims made by the New Testament authors about Jesus and Christian theology contradict the Hebrew texts of the Torah shown below.

upload_2020-12-30_9-50-44.png

For further details see the link below.

Simple Reasons Why Jews Don't Believe in Jesus and Christianity

Ehav4Ever

A Christian might say:

1. A spiritual king could be a real king.
2. He could be doing that now.
3. He did that spiritually.
4. Suspect?
5. Royal blood?
6. Maybe in the second coming?

A Jewish response to the above would. "If that is what Christians hold by we Jews aren't here to stop you in beleiving that or forming a life around it. The Christian standard is one that does not meet the requirements set in the below documents for Jews, thus we Jews were commaded by Hashem to avoid such."

upload_2020-12-30_9-57-54.png

Further, a Jew may ask. "If you as a Christian are so sure about your beleifs and such why it it important to you whether we Jews reject that or not? Are Christians not happy with the beliefs they hold by?"

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
In the first century, the belief was how can you be a gentile and believe in Jesus, not how could you be Jewish and believe in Jesus. Christianity was a Jewish sect-it's not a distinct faith-both are covenants that come from the same God.
How can that be when the similarities basically begin and end at the same names and claims to be of the same god?

Ehav4Ever

It never ceases to amaze me that Christians will still insist the Jews got their own religion wrong. That when a Jew says "this is what our religion says," Christians who know very little about Judaism will insist "but, but, but."
It would kind of be like an American insisting someone who is English is doing being English wrong.

Very good point. This is why I have been considering doing a commentary from a Jewish perspective of varoius New Testament passages, using the same methods use on Jewish texts. I.e. my commentary would completely contradict all Christian theologies no different than how theirs contradicts what is found in the Hebrew Tanakh.

The video below is a response from a rabbi who stated the exact same thing you stated.

PruePhillip

A Jewish response to the above would. "If that is what Christians hold by we Jews aren't here to stop you in beleiving that or forming a life around it. The Christian standard is one that does not meet the requirements set in the below documents for Jews, thus we Jews were commaded by Hashem to avoid such."

Further, a Jew may ask. "If you as a Christian are so sure about your beleifs and such why it it important to you whether we Jews reject that or not? Are Christians not happy with the beliefs they hold by?"

Of course, no-one can read this.

PruePhillip

It's actually the opposite: The Mashiach is meant to start the building of the Third Temple.

Daniel states that the enemy (Rome) would destroy the temple, Jerusalem and
Israel, and 'cut off" the Messiah. This is the Messiah of Isaiah, the Psalms,
Zechariah, Job etc the one who would die for His people (die but not for himself)

Redemptionsong

How is this possible?

Welcome.

You raise a very interesting question, and one that is quite frequently discussed on this forum.

I'd encourage you to persist through the inevitable storm of defensive remarks. What you may be challenging is the very essence of a person's identity and being.

As you know, Jesus was a Jew, born of the tribe of Judah, and of the line of David. He was born in Bethlehem and, after anointing, taught people that the kingdom of God was at hand. He demonstrated the presence of God's kingdom in word and in power. And at the appointed time, he gave his life as a sin offering.

The disciples of Jesus, all Jews, witnessed the events of his life and death. They were also witnesses to his resurrection, and to his ascension from the Mount of Olives. Shortly afterwards, the disciples received the Holy Spirit that was poured out at Pentecost.

Individual Jews have continued to be part of the body of Christ, though the nation has rejected Jesus as the Messiah. God knew this would happen, and the use of Greek in the New Testament is evidence that the message of salvation was, thereafter, intended for the wider world.

What is worth noting, IMO, is that the Jewish nation now has a serious problem. The problem has to do with identification of the Messiah. Most Jews accept that a Messiah, in the line of David, is due to come. Most Jews believe that to be the Messiah he must also be born in Bethlehem, the city of David. Yet, if Jesus has already fulfilled this prophecy, then this cannot happen again. The second coming, according to Jesus Christ, must be from heaven, not earth.

If the Jewish nation is looking for a Messiah to be born on earth, you can be sure that that Messiah will be false. In difficult times, when the Messiah is most expected, the Jewish nation will be looking to a man, when they should be looking to God.

Last edited:

Tumah

Veteran Member
What is worth noting, IMO, is that the Jewish nation now has a serious problem. The problem has to do with identification of the Messiah. Most Jews accept that a Messiah, in the line of David, is due to come. Most Jews believe that to be the Messiah he must also be born in Bethlehem, the city of David. Yet, if Jesus has already fulfilled this prophecy, then this cannot happen again. The second coming, according to Jesus Christ, must be from heaven, not earth.
You haven't described the problem.
Also, no Jews believe that the Messiah has to be born in Bethlehem unless they're already Christian.

Redemptionsong

Also, no Jews believe that the Messiah has to be born in Bethlehem unless they're already Christian.
Knowing how to distinguish the Messiah is clearly a problem.

Micah 5:2. 'But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting.'

Do you not believe this prophecy of Micah? It's not a New Testament passage.

Yet you do believe that Jesse lived in Bethlehem [1 Samuel 16:1], and that his family are associated with the city. Birth in this city gives credence to the Messianic claim.

PruePhillip

You can't have it both ways. The Jews accused Jesus of being fake because he was
a Galilean. And they cited scripture to the effect that the Messiah must come from
Bethlehem.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member

View attachment 46499

I cannot read those scrolls/books (although I do try to read the Torah in Hebrew daily), so I don't know what you're reporting to not meet the requirements of the Jews.

I once heard that the Raelian prophet Rael visited a Rabbi and said, "If Moses came back to life would you follow Moses or continue to follow the Torah?" He said, "I would continue to follow the Torah." Perhaps that is what's going on here.

Christian belief is that they are supposed to try to get Jews back to Christianity. I'm sorry for saying so but it's the most important thing in my entire church. I am only allowed to do so much on RF.

PruePhillip

Oh, you are using the gospel accounts as evidence. See, if you discount them then you have no evidence that the messiah is supposed to be from Bethlehem.

So let's discount them - in which case these no argument whether Jesus is the Messiah
because the Gospels are fiction.

rosends

Knowing how to distinguish the Messiah is clearly a problem.

Micah 5:2. 'But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting.'

Do you not believe this prophecy of Micah? It's not a New Testament passage.

Yet you do believe that Jesse lived in Bethlehem [1 Samuel 16:1], and that his family are associated with the city. Birth in this city gives credence to the Messianic claim.
And you believe that this means that any future messianic person has to be born in Bethlehem? Maybe the problem is in clearly understanding the verse and prophecy. This verse remarks about the family that came from Bethlehem and how from that family a future leader will arise. That family is the origin of the Davidic line which would exclude anyone not (paternally) from the family.