• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How can a Jew reject Jesus as the Messiah?

Skywalker

Only when it is used as a plural word. When it is used as a singular, it is a singular. Think of the English words "means" or "species" which end in -s but, depending on context are singular words (and each plural iteration has a singular also).

That doesn't detract from let us make man in our image in Genesis.

Skywalker

Well, I can't speak about this "Old Testament" you invoke but the Tanach is pretty clear about the doctrine it teaches.

The Lord is One is a reference to polytheism being not of God, because we know from nature that there is one Creator. It's not a commentary about the doctrine of the Trinity.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Jesus being called the angel of the Lord means that God being called a messenger is a logical conclusion related to that.
Just because Jesus is **called** an Angel of the Lord. Doesn't mean he actually **is** an Angel of the Lord.

Prove to me that Jesus is an Angel of the Lord.

Last edited:

Skywalker

Just because Jesus is **called** an Angel of the Lord. Doesn't mean he actually **is** an Angel of the Lord.

Prove to me that Jesus is an Angel of the Lord.

The angel of the Lord at the burning bush spoke with the authority of God to Moses and Genesis mentions God saying let us make man in our image.

Skywalker

This doesn't prove that Jesus is an Angel of the Lord. Jesus is not mentioned in this verse at all.

Let us make man in our image implies that there are different persons in the essence of God which is why the angel of the Lord could have been Jesus.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Let us make man in our image implies that there are different persons in the essence of God which is why the angel of the Lord could have been Jesus.
No.... that verse doesn't say "persons". At best all you have is "implied" and "could have been".

That's not enough to tempt me into accidentlly worshipping an idol or putting my faith in a messiah claimant. Do you want me to worship an idol? Do you want me to put my faith in a false messiah?

rosends

Us is not singular in that verse.
And Elohim isn't plural.

Again -- if I am talking to a crowd "I said, let's buy goats!" the subject, the one who "said" is singular even though the verb is plural, because the verb is including others in the action.

Skywalker

This doesn't prove that Jesus is an Angel of the Lord. Jesus is not mentioned in this verse at all.

The Angel of the Lord is described as the voice talking from the burning bush. Moses couldn't have been talking to God the Father because he didn't see the face of God, which is why I believe he spoke to Jesus.