1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured How can a Jew reject Jesus as the Messiah?

Discussion in 'Religious Debates' started by ayin, Dec 29, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Ehav4Ever

Ehav4Ever Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +856
    Religion:
    Torath Mosheh
    So, how about this. You and the Mormons argue it out and I would be willing to sit down with the winner over Zoom and discuss what the Hebrew text of the Tanakh says.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Ehav4Ever

Ratings:
    +856
    Religion:
    Torath Mosheh
    Yes, I had a feeling like you would not want to go through the text in Hebrew from start to finish. To answer your question, as I have said before, it is the Hebrew text only and no translations. So yes, I don't accept interlinears because they are translations.

Thus, add this to the list of why Jews don't accept Christian claims about Jesus or the NT.

• Like Like x 1
  3. robocop (actually)

robocop (actually) Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +930
    Religion:
    two years re-baptized into Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
    I believe the King James Version is best, and it's the only version I know that is available for free in print. I believe the Torah and Greek New Testament are much better.

But I believe it has been modified. It talks about it in the Book of Mormon. Things were intentionally changed to create stumbling blocks.

4. Skywalker

Skywalker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +329
    Religion:
    Christian
    What makes Christian translations less accurate? You could say that anyone is biased.

5. Wandering Monk

Wandering Monk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,413
    Religion:
    agnostic
    Theological bias, ignorance of cultural and historical context, replacement theology.

Yes, you could say anyone is biased, but when it comes to truth about untestable spiritual entities, you cannot claim empirical truth.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Skywalker

Ratings:
    +329
    Religion:
    Christian
    Some people don't agree witht he NIV because of the Greek translations. The New International Version Exposed!

7. Skywalker

Ratings:
    +329
    Religion:
    Christian
    You could say that anyone has a theological bias. Messianic Jews don't believe in replacement theology.

That you cannot claim empirical truth means that Jesus could be the Messiah.

8. Tumah

Tumah Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +8,415
    Religion:
    Mega-Super-Ultra-Orthodox Judaism
    You can ask that about every time the prophet anthropomorphizes a place. Like in the previous passage where Zion is anthropomorphized instead of just saying Israel.

9. Tumah

Tumah Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +8,415
    Religion:
  10. Skywalker

Ratings:
    +329
    Religion:
    Christian
    I think one of the reasons Jews don't accept Christian claims about Jesus and the New Testament is because Jewish people who follow Jesus are ostracized from their family and community. And another reason, unfortunately, is the barrier put up by anti-Semetism in the past. I think Christians are generally oblivious to the history of anti-Semetism and Christianity. They often are-for good reason: they haven't seen it, and it isn't in their hearts. With almost no exception, the Christians I've met have a special attachment to Jewish people and Israel. So the history of anti-Semetism is very much unknown for that positive reason-but there's also a bad reason. Many Christians today, especially evangelicals, don't have a sense of history. They'll quote Martin Luther left and right, but they won't talk about the horrific things he wrote that Adolph Hitler adopted, like his 1543 tractate Concerning the Jews and Their Lies, where he recommended, among other things, that synagogues be burned, Jewish homes destroyed, and rabbis forbidden to teach under threat of death. They'll quote the powerful preaching of John Chrysostom a thousand years before Luther, but they won't mention his seven sermon against the Jews, where he said, 'I hate the Jews,' called them possessed by the devil,' and said that the Jewish religion is 'a disease.'

11. Skywalker

Ratings:
    +329
    Religion:
    Christian
    Bethlehem being referred to as Zion is not self contradictory. What is Zion? What is Mount Zion? What is the biblical meaning of Zion? | GotQuestions.org

12. Skywalker

Ratings:
    +329
    Religion:
    Christian
    Why do you think Isaiah 53 wasn't read in synagogues in the past?

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Wandering Monk

Wandering Monk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,413
    Religion:
    agnostic
    Because something cannot be disproved is no evidence of truth. Prove that Thor is not the god of thunder, EMPIRCALLY.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Tumah

Tumah Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +8,415
    Religion:
  15. Skywalker

Ratings:
    +329
    Religion:
    Christian
    The original translation of the Bible didn't have any more of a theological bias than the beliefs of the Jewish people has a theological basis. The pre NIV BIble refers to Jesus as God. The New International Version Exposed!

16. Skywalker

Ratings:
    +329
    Religion:
    Christian
    Bethlehem is part of anthropomorphized Zion even though today it is part of Palestine.

17. Tumah

Tumah Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +8,415
    Religion:
    I wish you a speedy recovery.

• Like Like x 1
  18. robocop (actually)

robocop (actually) Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +930
    Religion:
    two years re-baptized into Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
    Last chance... there are deep parallelisms to the Bible to get you thinking.

19. Redemptionsong

Redemptionsong Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304
    You accept, I believe, that king David was a 'type' of Christ, or Messiah. Isn't this why the prophet Ezekiel is able to say, 'David my servant shall be king over them; and they shall have one shepherd' [Ezekiel 37:24]?

David, whom you accept as being of the root of Jesse, was, like his father, born in Bethlehem. Why, then, do you think that your future Messiah will be born elsewhere?

It all seems very odd to me that you expect a Messiah to come from the line of David, yet you reject the prophecies, and precise details, that tell you who to expect. Instead, you say that you'll know him by the peace he brings to earth.

Does this mean that your Messiah will come to Israel and automatically be recognised as the Redeemer? Does he combine a religious and political role? And are you satisfied that the Messiah will recognise you as a friend?

20. Ehav4Ever

Ratings:
    +856
    Religion:
    Torath Mosheh
    If you remember, I said that ALL translations are unacceptable even Jewish ones. We don't use translations as authoratitive. Jewish translation in English only exist where Torah learning was/is not so strong. Yet, most Jews know the translation does not overtake the original. So, what makes the Christian translation less accurate. 1st, the fact that it is is claimed to be a translation and 2nd the fact that it was made by people who did not/do not hold by Torath Mosheh.

You are right everyone could be biased. Thus, we Jews have a requirement, from Hashem, to always go for what was given at Mount Sinai and to go through the Jewiish transmission process - both of these are found in Hebrew.

• Like Like x 1