• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How big is your ego?

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Most of us have an ego. Some are just a little bigger and scarier than others.

I believe that the secret of life is to not take your ego TOO seriously.

An out-of-control ego can cause some very difficult personal problems and a lot of frustration!

Believe me. I know just what that is like. I had to experience a LOT of ego pain before arriving at my current place of serenity.

This article may help -

10 Signs Your Ego is in Control | Simple Life Strategies

“I believe that the ability to laugh at oneself is fundamental to the resiliency of the human spirit.”

Jill Conner Browne

Wishing you all the very best!

Frater Sisyphus

Contradiction, irrationality and disorder
My ego is so big that you can stamp it out with your finger

My ego is so big that you can burn it with a flashlight

My ego is so big that you need a microscope to see it

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
11. Feeling you are very very spiritual.
12. Feeling you are very very unspiritual.

Axe Elf

Prophet
The problem with actually being the best is that sometimes simple self-esteem can take on the illusion of arrogance.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Most of us have an ego. Some are just a little bigger and scarier than others.

I believe that the secret of life is to not take your ego TOO seriously.

An out-of-control ego can cause some very difficult personal problems and a lot of frustration!

Believe me. I know just what that is like. I had to experience a LOT of ego pain before arriving at my current place of serenity.

This article may help -
10 Signs Your Ego is in Control | Simple Life Strategies

“I believe that the ability to laugh at oneself is fundamental to the resiliency of the human spirit.”

Jill Conner Browne

Wishing you all the very best!

Noo. Em. Emm. Not me. I never have an ego problem.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
interfaith discussion......and God hasn't been mentioned?

so......we should stand before the Almighty Ego.....?
with no resemblance of mind and heart?

let me check my personal history.......
nope!.....some outstanding events
but no justification

but.....maybe my swelled head might draw attention

idea

Question Everything
This is a great list:
1. You feel elevated from gossiping about other people’s flaws
2. You find yourself in a feisty discussion and you just can’t back down until you have ‘won’ the argument
3. You constantly compare yourself to other people who you feel are better than you (better looking, more intelligent, happier, more wealthy)
4. You constantly compare yourself to people who you feel are not as good as you (less intelligent, lower status)
5. You feel jealous when other people do well
6. You talk about yourself for 10 minutes before asking another how they are
7. You’d rather win than do your best
8. You often sulk when you don’t win that sports game or work challenge (instead of being proud of your attempt to do your best)
9. You set yourself impossible goals and then beat yourself up when you don’t reach them
10. You blame others when things don’t go your way

3 and 9 are my problem areas.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
This is a great list:
1. You feel elevated from gossiping about other people’s flaws
2. You find yourself in a feisty discussion and you just can’t back down until you have ‘won’ the argument
3. You constantly compare yourself to other people who you feel are better than you (better looking, more intelligent, happier, more wealthy)
4. You constantly compare yourself to people who you feel are not as good as you (less intelligent, lower status)
5. You feel jealous when other people do well
6. You talk about yourself for 10 minutes before asking another how they are
7. You’d rather win than do your best
8. You often sulk when you don’t win that sports game or work challenge (instead of being proud of your attempt to do your best)
9. You set yourself impossible goals and then beat yourself up when you don’t reach them
10. You blame others when things don’t go your way

3 and 9 are my problem areas.
with your list in mind.....maybe my ego is smaller than I thought

I don't do anything on your list

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
Interested why you'd ask such a question? To see if someone would acknowledge having an ego, or to imply ego is a fundamental part of reality? Because from a Buddhist perspective the ego isn't real, no matter how big or small it may make itself to suit a situation. The ego has no ultimate ground in reality. It's like discussing how big our magic mushroom clouds are. Chasing a shadow.

idea

Question Everything
with your list in mind.....maybe my ego is smaller than I thought

I don't do anything on your list

Not my list, it is the list from the OP article.

Tolle is pretty good on Ego -

Does EGO only exist in how we compare ourselves to others? In trying to make a hierarchy - elevating some while debasing others in our mind? The best way to get rid of ego is to see everyone with the same amount of respect?

David T

Premium Member
It's, uggge, about this big.
trump_small_hands.jpg

ajay0

To the extent the mind is in the past or future unconsciously under the influence of cravings or aversions ( rather than being in present moment awareness), to that extent is the degree of magnitude of the ego.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Ego trip

You'll never meet anyone as humble as me
I am also as modest as I can be
I really am the ideal human being
If you understood you would be agreeing

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
I am an intelligent logical person that constantly looks down on unintelligent unlogical persons in this forum so in that sense I do have an ego problem. My ego problem otherwise is ok.