• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How best to argue against creationists

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
I agree with the OP. The best way is to combat fundamentalism. At this rate though, we won't have to combat it, the government will be forced to handle it because it is constantly rising higher and higher in levels of extremism and insanity.

Rainbow Mage

It is possible to be a fundamentalist and not be a Creationist.

Not that I know of, because a fundamentalist is one who claims they follow the so-called "fundamentals" of Christianity, and they claim that one of these fundamentals is believing that the Bible is the final authority in all matters, and is the infalliable, inerrant word of God. God said it I believe it, that settles it... :facepalm:

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Not that I know of, because a fundamentalist is one who claims they follow the so-called "fundamentals" of Christianity, and they claim that one of these fundamentals is believing that the Bible is the final authority in all matters, and is the infalliable, inerrant word of God. God said it I believe it, that settles it... :facepalm:
But the fundamentals of Christianity can be understood non-literally, and no, believing the Bible literally word for word isn't one of them. (You can do that and not be a Christian at all.)

I do agree that literalism is the problem, but it's not inherent of fundamentalism.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Well, I've been going at it hammer and tongs for about 8 years with little success, so I don't know if you want to follow my advice, but...

I try to first focus on the discussion on ToE, and clarify what it is and what it isn't. That usually takes ten pages or so. In the case of particularly hard-headed YECs, you may never get this far. For example, after explaining that ToE is NOT the theory that there is no God, that is another idea called atheism, you may find yourself repeating this on page 7, again on page 12, and again on page 54.

Unfortunately, you often have to cover some science basics, such as methodological naturalism, evidence, consilience, etc. That can take quite a few pages.

One thing that often helps is to actually explain what ToE says. Most YECs are arguing against a non-existent theory and have no idea what ToE actually says. Slogging through that takes ten pages or so, and again, after you're done it's sometimes as though none of it happened, and you find yourself on page 30 or so once again explaining that ToE does not assert that God did not create all things.

So I guess the main qualities you need are patience and persistence.

At this point in history, most YECs are now admitting that speciation happens. Actually they're hyper-Darwinists, maintaining that millions of species have evolved from just a few in the last few thousand years, which is just silly. The response to this is math; it's mathematically impossible. For this reason YECs will usually dodge the simple questions that would enable math to be done, refusing to define their key term ("kind") while blithely continuing to use it as though it had meaning. If you do get to the point where you're pointing out that we have not observed 450,000 species of beetles evolving from a single beetle kind in the last few thousand years, they will usually leave the thread, only to pop back up like a whack-a-mole elsewhere bleating the same crap you started with.

Why I persist is beginning to mystify me.

Rainbow Mage

I would like to add here I also agree with the OP on another point. I could be called a creationist, because I believe an act of creation took place, but not as the Egyptian myths put forth. I believe evolution can be how the gods create in an ongoing way. Creation is an ongoing process. The term "Creationist" has really been bastardized because of young earthers and Bible literalists.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
After reading some of the stuff on here I am stirred to say something.
First off, I am a YOUNG EARTH creationist who does NOT believe in MACRO evolution. I believe in SMALL changes over time however. But I believe it is limited that change.
Well, in that case you believe impossible, contradictory things. Would you like to review the mathematical impossiblity of this in a separate thread?

Anyway, I am PROUD to admit this belief. And I am NOT stupid, insane, or DAM DISHONEST for believing it either! I also am not FULLY ignorant, yes I admit I need to read MORE, but I have read A LOT. I am NOT WILLFULLY ignorant. That's just another NICE way of calling someone dishonest.
Sorry, but you must be some combination of these things to believe something that is physically and mathematically impossible.
Now WHY do I believe what I do in this regard? Is it ONLY because the BIBLE STRONGLY IMPLIES a young earth and that no macro evolution takes place? Is this the ONLY reason I believe this? The answer is a resounding

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Get it? NOOOOOOOOOOOO! No! NO! NOO!

Sorry, but this is frustrating.

I ALSO believe this because I SINCERELY QUESTION the UNDERLYING ASSUMPTIONS BEHIND the scientific THEORIES of a old earth and old universe and macro evolution. I would do this EVEN IF I DID NOT BELIEVE IN THE BIBLE!
Pardon me if I regard this claim with skepticism.

Now do you all get it? You better hurry up and get it, because not every creationist is the same. Hurry up and get it because I am sick of it not being gotten.
Oh, I understand you, I just don't believe you.

RedOne77

As a RC, you apparently claim to be a Christian. If the ToE is correct, the foundation of Christianity has no basis in fact. If there was no Adam, there was no original sin.

Christianity doesn't need an "Adam" as literally described in Genesis, nor "original sin" as in Adam disobeyed God therefore we are all cursed.

If no sin, there is no need for the ransom sacrifice paid by Jesus Christ. Further, Jesus is condemned as a liar, since he obviously believed and taught the Genesis account of creation.

All have sinned, therefore all are in need of a savior, regardless of what our ancestors did. In Ezekiel 18:4, it explicitly states that "The soul who sins is the one who will die." Anyone's salvation is not directly related to what their/our ancestors did. And of course Jesus taught Genesis, but Genesis was not originally meant to convey scientific truths, rather spiritual ones. I don't know about Runlikethewind, but my view of God is that the sacrifice of Jesus was more then just a sacrifice to atone sins.

Either the Bible or the ToE is wrong.

Only if you take Genesis as literal history. And according to both Jewish and Christian scholars, using standard exegesis and hermeneutics (how the text should be interpreted), it is concluded that Genesis in no way talks about scientific/material facts.

I can understand why evolutionists want to quell debate. As Phillip E. Johnson, a University of California law professor noted in an article in the Wall Street Journal. the evidence for evolution is lacking but its supporters still often ridicule those who question it. The article comments: "Evolution theory is having serious trouble with the evidence—but its proponents don’t want an honest debate that might undermine their world view.”

That is why over 99% of biologists, whom ruffly half are Christian, accept the entire theory of evolution? If it really was out of touch on the scientific facts and/or incompatible with the Bible, don't you think that more then a select few, usually from fields that don't directly deal with the evidence, would have spoken up?

BTW, the Bible does not teach the ridiculous notion that the earth is only a few thousand years old. It simply states "In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth."

Then Archbishop James Usher would disagree with you. The Bible has lineages that tells us how long people lived and when they had children. Working backwards Usher determined that God started the creation in Genesis 1 on October 23, 4004 BC. That is literally only 6,013 years ago! Now either the Bible has some clearly non-literal passages, or the world is really only a few thousand years old. I'd personally would go for the former, but you don't have to. Many Christians go for the latter, and in fact most do, both Protestant and Catholic.

rusra02

Premium Member
And here you demonstrate your ignorance of science. Looks like Dawkins was correct in his summation.

Firstly scientific theories are never "proved", they explain evidence and facts, to be considered valid a theory must explain all the facts, be contradicted by none and make verifiable predictions. Secondly evolution is an observed fact, populations evolve and that is a fact. The Theory of Evolution explains that fact, and others.

What evidence and what facts? Reality shows that there is no such evidence.

You state that "evolution is an observed fact, populations evolve and that is a fact."
The evidence is to the contrary. Species change and adapt, but a cow is always a cow, a dog is a dog, a cat is a cat, and yes, Darwin's finches are always finches. You cannot successfully breed between 'kinds'. Give one proven example of where one species evolved into another.

The fossil record shows sudden appearance of complete life in great variety
and no linking forms. Evolution predicts the contrary. The facts support creation.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
You state that "evolution is an observed fact, populations evolve and that is a fact."
The evidence is to the contrary. Species change and adapt, but a cow is always a cow, a dog is a dog, a cat is a cat, and yes, Darwin's finches are always finches. You cannot successfully breed between 'kinds'. Give one proven example of where one species evolved into another.
So you are denying that new species come into existence?

and no linking forms.
If by sudden you mean, "millions of years."
Evolution predicts the contrary. The facts support creation.
Would you like me to start a thread to discuss the EVIDENCE. Because my experience is that YECs like yourself usually prefer to avoid it.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Give one proven example of where one species evolved into another.

Stephanomeira malheurensis

Maize (Zea mays)

Yellow Monkey Flower (Mimulus guttatus)

Drosophila paulistorum

Drosophila melanogaster

Rhagoletis pomonella

Nereis acuminata

Culex pipiens molestus

Etc, etc, etc.....

rusra02

Premium Member
Christianity doesn't need an "Adam" as literally described in Genesis, nor "original sin" as in Adam disobeyed God therefore we are all cursed.

All have sinned, therefore all are in need of a savior, regardless of what our ancestors did. In Ezekiel 18:4, it explicitly states that "The soul who sins is the one who will die." Anyone's salvation is not directly related to what their/our ancestors did. And of course Jesus taught Genesis, but Genesis was not originally meant to convey scientific truths, rather spiritual ones. I don't know about Runlikethewind, but my view of God is that the sacrifice of Jesus was more then just a sacrifice to atone sins.

Only if you take Genesis as literal history. And according to both Jewish and Christian scholars, using standard exegesis and hermeneutics (how the text should be interpreted), it is concluded that Genesis in no way talks about scientific/material facts.

That is why over 99% of biologists, whom ruffly half are Christian, accept the entire theory of evolution? If it really was out of touch on the scientific facts and/or incompatible with the Bible, don't you think that more then a select few, usually from fields that don't directly deal with the evidence, would have spoken up?

Then Archbishop James Usher would disagree with you. The Bible has lineages that tells us how long people lived and when they had children. Working backwards Usher determined that God started the creation in Genesis 1 on October 23, 4004 BC. That is literally only 6,013 years ago! Now either the Bible has some clearly non-literal passages, or the world is really only a few thousand years old. I'd personally would go for the former, but you don't have to. Many Christians go for the latter, and in fact most do, both Protestant and Catholic.

Since you obviously do not accept the teachings of Christ as factual and true, I wonder that you call yourself a Christian. But since there are several thousands of conflicting religions who wear the label Christian, I shouldn't wonder.

The Bible reveals why such teachings as evolution are popular. It says: “There will be a period of time when they will not put up with the healthful teaching, but, in accord with their own desires, they will accumulate teachers for themselves to have their ears tickled; and they will turn their ears away from the truth, whereas they will be turned aside to false stories.” (2 Timothy 4:3, 4) Although evolution is usually presented in scientific terms, it is really a religious doctrine. It teaches a philosophy of life and an attitude toward God. Its beliefs are subtly attractive to mankind’s selfish, independent spirit. Many who believe in evolution say that they also believe in God. However, they feel free to think of God as one who does not intervene in man’s affairs, and who will not judge people. It is a creed that tickles people’s ears.

Teachers of evolution are often motivated, not by the facts, but by “their own desires”—perhaps a desire to be accepted by a scientific community in which evolution is orthodox doctrine. There is much evidence that a scientist or teacher who openly believes in creation is likely to be ridiculed, marginalized, and otherwise punished by the orthodox evolutionary priesthood. (See movie Expelled, for example).
As to James Usher's chronology, I will allow the Bible to speak for itself. Obviously Mr. Usher was wrong, since the Bible says God created the earth at some point in the past called the Beginning, and Mr. Usher's chronology presupposes the days of Genesis were 24 hours long, an erroneous conclusion.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist

and no linking forms. Evolution predicts the contrary. The facts support creation.

Disgusting - now there's feces all over the glass. Hilarious.

rusra02

Premium Member
Stephanomeira malheurensis

Maize (Zea mays)

Yellow Monkey Flower (Mimulus guttatus)

Drosophila paulistorum

Drosophila melanogaster

Rhagoletis pomonella

Nereis acuminata

Culex pipiens molestus

Etc, etc, etc.....

The examples you cite are merely variations within a Genesis 'kind' and do not produce new species (or kinds). If you examine the evidence, maize is still maize.
Variety within species is NOT evolution. If evolution were true, you would find millions of transitional forms between species. These missing links remain missing.