• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How are you okay with that?

nonbeliever_92

I find it funny that when people say I'm going to hell, they treat it nonchalantly, almost bored or sorry for me. If one believes that hell is an everlasting tortuous existence with no chance of ever being revoked, how can they possibly be okay with that? I've said this before but it's sorta like having a friend who kills people and saying to another friend "You better be nice to this guy or he'll cut your head off and chop your body up into little pieces. I'm not too worried though, I'm on his good side, no decappy-choppy for me, ^_^ but good luck with your situation though." It's like being raped by someone and then blaming the victim. That's less of a religion and more of a hostage situation.
How can you be a good person if you condone such treatment for others just because they don't agree with you?

emptybe

Om Mani Padme Hum
Well put. God sends you to hell for ever and ever KNOWING before you are even born where you will end up. But he still creates you and then says it's free will. I find that more "satanic" that offering fruit to a woman.

nonbeliever_92

Furthermore hell seesm to be an excessive punishment, for any crime. But burning forever simply because of a lack of belief, a differing opinion, could you go to hell for less, what the hell?

Most fundamentalist Christians (the ones who interpret the bible literally) believe that because God created man and man fell after Adam ate the fruit he can do whatever he wants with them. (refer to Calvinist doctrine of Total depravity for more info.)

And since God created humans, fundamentalists hold, that if he chooses to send them to hell it is his right since it is his creation. On top of that if you question God's decision you are actually sinning.

Of course all this fundamentalist nonsense is a result of being brainwashed.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
To be fair, I'm pretty non-chalant about them wasting their lives in anticipation of an afterlife paradise that will never happen.

tarasan

Furthermore hell seesm to be an excessive punishment, for any crime. But burning forever simply because of a lack of belief, a differing opinion, could you go to hell for less, what the hell?
sorry but ive always wanted to test this arguement out on this forum and uve given me the opertunity :D.

so here it goes

(4) Other things being equal, the seriousness of a crime increases as the status (the degree of importance or value) of its victim increases.
(5) God has an infinitely high status.
(6) Therefore, crimes against God are infinitely serious (from (4) and (5)).
(7) All sin is a crime against God.
(8) Therefore, all sin is infinitely serious (from (6) and (7)).
(9) The more serious a crime is, the more serious its punishment should be.
(10) Therefore, all sin should receive an infinitely serious punishment (from (8) and (9)).

this logical arguement assumes that the more value a victum has the more serious a crime is done against it, aka we dont view it as bad if you kill an ant than a person.

and because christians believe GOd has an infinite amount of worth when you sin, you do an infinite crime to GOd because of his worth.

therefore your punishment to be just, must be eternal

this kind of arguement doesnt show how God can legitametly do something rather it shows how he must do it to be just.

your thoughts?

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
sorry but ive always wanted to test this arguement out on this forum and uve given me the opertunity :D.

so here it goes
(4) Other things being equal, the seriousness of a crime increases as the status (the degree of importance or value) of its victim increases.

Hold on. God can be a victim?

waitasec

Veteran Member

i think the god of the bible approaches humans they way inhumane humans approach animals...

Orias

Left Hand Path
The only victim when I sin is myself. God cannot be harmed, and therefore God cannot be a victim.

That all depends on if you think breaking rules if harmful to the overseer.

They were obviously implimented for a reason.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
That all depends on if you think breaking rules if harmful to the overseer.

They were obviously implimented for a reason.

I believe that the rules were implemented for our sake, not for His.

waitasec

Veteran Member

so here it goes

(10) Therefore, all sin should receive an infinitely serious punishment (from (8) and (9)).

this logical arguement assumes that the more value a victum has the more serious a crime is done against it, aka we dont view it as bad if you kill an ant than a person.

and because christians believe GOd has an infinite amount of worth when you sin, you do an infinite crime to GOd because of his worth.

this kind of arguement doesnt show how God can legitametly do something rather it shows how he must do it to be just.

your thoughts?

wait a second.
the crime against god is what? not believing in it?
so if your child were to second guess your wisdom, you'd disown them?
:eek:

javajo

so here it goes

your thoughts?

Here is what I believe. Yes, God is just, yet merciful. For although he does not send anybody to Hell, they send themselves there, he did everything possible to keep us from going there, including offering salvation as a totally free gift which we simply accept, no work involved and we have to do nothing in return, nothing to get it, nothing to keep it. When we've trusted in God that he sent his Son who he loved to pay the penalty of our sins, we have gained eternal life.

24Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life. (John 5:24)