• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Are You Faring Nowadays?

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Much more stressed these days. Financially I am in a better place, but education has only gotten tougher. Both my wife and I have considered leaving education and finding other jobs. But the job is stable due to how many other people are leaving the profession and I do like the financial stability.

There are teacher shortages here, too. What's changed in the profession, if you don't mind me asking?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Still struggling financially, mentally and emotionally, and physically.

I won’t deny I am angry and bitter about having lost my job even though it was almost three years ago. It was unnecessary. The company simply got greedy and stupid, taking advantage of a situation.

I’m angry with my husband for having spent money like a drunken sailor on stupid **** we’ll never see or use again that’s packed away in boxes. We might very well have been able to live as retirees instead of me working pissant jobs like slicing cold cuts or ringing up customers who constantly ask for coupons and discounts in a retail department store.

I may go on temporary disability because it’s becoming clear these types of jobs are making my back worse. Neither job was limited to slicing ham and cheese or cashiering, they can get quite physical.

However, I have food, a roof over my head in a nice (albeit rented not owned) condo, hot water, electricity, and heat. So despite sounding like I’m complaining I’m really not. It’s just how it is. :shrug:

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
There are teacher shortages here, too. What's changed in the profession, if you don't mind me asking?

For special education it's the increasing caseloads and responsibilities without compensation. I am both a teacher and casemanager with the same compensation as the general education teachers. The covid pandemic made this worse, and so many special education professionals (paraprofessionals and teachers) left, further adding to the problem.

Combine this with the politicization of our field and pushback from parents and guardians, with student behaviors becoming difficult from a variety of factors and it makes for a fairly difficult vocation that already requires a large amount of responsibility.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
For special education it's the increasing caseloads and responsibilities without compensation. I am both a teacher and casemanager with the same compensation as the general education teachers. The covid pandemic made this worse, and so many special education professionals (paraprofessionals and teachers) left, further adding to the problem.

Combine this with the politicization of our field and pushback from parents and guardians, with student behaviors becoming difficult from a variety of factors and it makes for a fairly difficult vocation that already requires a large amount of responsibility.

I get that.

My oldest two kids are autistic. The amount of responsibility special educators have is phenomenal.

I have always had the utmost respect for the teachers and paras, who my sons put through the wringer in their younger years(my oldest is 16 now, and no longer has behaviors, but he sure did in elementary/early middle school). My 9 year old is homeschooled now, but when he was in public school, he was the kind of kid who threw chairs and dollhouses(with a smile, it was fun!)

It was easy to see, though, that those who made the decisions(the district) often never stepped into a classroom, and were out of touch with the needs of teachers, staff, and students. It really ****ed me off. You guys don't get the recognition you deserve, instead, being thrown hurdles that make it more difficult for all involved(usually just so something looks good on paper).

You have my respect and appreciation.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I get that.

My oldest two kids are autistic. The amount of responsibility special educators have is phenomenal.

I have always had the utmost respect for the teachers and paras, who my sons put through the wringer in their younger years(my oldest is 16 now, and no longer has behaviors, but he sure did in elementary/early middle school). My 9 year old is homeschooled now, but when he was in public school, he was the kind of kid who threw chairs and dollhouses(with a smile, it was fun!)

It was easy to see, though, that those who made the decisions(the district) often never stepped into a classroom, and were out of touch with the needs of teachers, staff, and students. It really ****ed me off. You guys don't get the recognition you deserve, instead, being thrown hurdles that make it more difficult for all involved(usually just so something looks good on paper).

You have my respect and appreciation.

That does mean a lot to me. Thanks!

I specifically work as a behavioral health special education teacher. :)

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
That does mean a lot to me. Thanks!

I specifically work as a behavioral health special education teacher. :)

My mom was a para in a behavioral health classroom for awhile. That takes a tough person, and a good sense of humor.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
Im faring ok I think. Mentally...not so well but working on it. Physically in good health i may donate bone marrow im waiting fir the registry to get back to me and tell me when to get my blood drawn to see if im a match for this person they said I may be a match for. Financially good as well in a group home working at a daycare and very few bills.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Better, a bit, than the last thread. I finally got an appointment at an employment assistance, job coach thingy so hopefully I'll finally get hired.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
Im faring ok I think. Mentally...not so well but working on it. Physically in good health i may donate bone marrow im waiting fir the registry to get back to me and tell me when to get my blood drawn to see if im a match for this person they said I may be a match for. Financially good as well in a group home working at a daycare and very few bills.

Welp im disappointed. The registry got back to me. Im ineligible to donate marrow cuz im on disability and have depression. However I still did a donation. Just a financial one instead to the gift of life registry. If i can't donate physically then ill do so with money.