• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How are we expected to communicate?

OtherSheep

<--@ Titangel
Thats a good point. It's important to remember to point out its a personal view.

I believe/feel/think that whatEVER ANYone says is an opinion... I believe/feel/think that it could never be anything BUT a personal point of view.

:rolleyes: = facecrime – An indication that a person is guilty of thoughtcrime
based on their facial expression.---- taken from Orwell, 1984

Heyo

Veteran Member
Hello RFers,

I do not intend nor hope for this thread to be controversial and hope it does not become one, even though I will bring up controversial topics

Many people through various media and social media outlets are quick to label people with all kinds of labels simply because, they do not like what they are hearing. Now, I am not talking about people (Tommy Robinson, David Duke, Hitler to name a few) that are purposely inciting hate and violence by spreading lies and making stuff up. I am talking about people that are talking facts. Use this example “A man cannot be a woman (and vice versa), no matter how many pills or surgeries they have” this is scientifically true fact that can be empirically proven, its not a statement made out of feelings, emotions or any biases. Yet, once that statement is uttered people get shut down, post taken down and cited for either breaking the forum rules and/or being label as a transphobic. Here is another example, “Under international law, the Israeli settlements in Palestine are illegal” this will get labeled as Anti-sematic even though its 100% true. Homophobe, xenophobe, Islamophobic, Anti-Semitic, transphobic and the list goes on and on and on.

My question, is how are we expected to communicate to each other when facts, not feelings, are being used to drive the conversation but, then get shutdown and shut out because someone’s feelings get hurt? And the excuse used is that this (insert label above) when the intent is never meant to be offensive.
Many of the "controversial" discussions are started with an appearance of objectivity which is often only a dog whistle. Knowing that and knowing that others know it, you'd have to start an OP on such a controversial question with a disclaimer. It also helps if you don't have a reputation of being a homophobe/xenophobe/islamophobe/anti-semite/transphobe or a troll.
Know your audience and consider the circumstances.