• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How are we doing post-Brexit?

Well, that's what the Tories do, isn't it. Rees Mogg wants us to go back to Victorian times when people would doff their caps to him.

“Lord Liverpool climbed out of his carriage at Kensington Palace on June 15, 1837, under blue summer skies. He was wearing a gray suit and a top hat—the top hat was now considered the mark of a gentleman, even though the first man to sport one in public, forty years earlier, was arrested on the grounds that it had “a shiny luster calculated to alarm timid people.” (Four women had fainted upon seeing it, and pedestrians had booed.)” Julia Baird - Victoria

It's not actually true, but that ruins a good story.

Altfish

Veteran Member
"Irony goes supercharged as the new blue passport is made in Poland by French/Dutch firm and UK passport maker De La Rue left at risk and laying people off. I don’t recall the slogan ‘British jobs for Polish workers’ but here it is in action. Somehow this is a success."

Paul Lewis

Altfish

Veteran Member
Remember Project Unicorn in 2016 ...

ERtbVS6X0AYREOf

Project Reality in 2020

"
English farmers face subsidy cuts of up to 25%

Subscribe to read | Financial Times

Altfish

Veteran Member
"We want a Canada style deal" or "An Australia type of deal" - say our government.

Can I ask, for a friend you realise, how many trucks daily travel from the UK to Canada and Australia compared to the number of trucks that travel from UK to EU?

Also, the government is now claiming that NO DEAL is off the table because the agreement to leave is a deal?????????

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Remember Project Unicorn in 2016 ...

ERtbVS6X0AYREOf

Project Reality in 2020

"
English farmers face subsidy cuts of up to 25%

Subscribe to read | Financial Times
I hit a pay wall. So I couldn't read the article.

But this sounds so much like Trump claiming that trade wars were easy to win because the USA is the world's biggest market. Then needed billions and billions of taxpayer dollars to subsidize his base when China started playing hardball.
Tom

Altfish

Veteran Member
I hit a pay wall. So I couldn't read the article.

But this sounds so much like Trump claiming that trade wars were easy to win because the USA is the world's biggest market. Then needed billions and billions of taxpayer dollars to subsidize his base when China started playing hardball.
Tom
Indeed, but the UK is not the world's biggest market by a long way. The EU is not far off though

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Indeed, but the UK is not the world's biggest market by a long way. The EU is not far off though
All I really meant was that modern progressives, like Trump and the Brexiters, seem able to tell lies like "£315,000,000/wk for health care" and "concrete wall from sea to shining sea and Mexico will pay for it." And then don't get held accountable because everyone knew they lying when they said it.

Apparently, right wing progressives can lie all they want and their supporters will hand wave it away. Because everyone knows those people are lying, but they tell lies that low information voters want to hear and so they get power.
Tom

Notanumber

A Free Man
All I really meant was that modern progressives, like Trump and the Brexiters, seem able to tell lies like "£315,000,000/wk for health care" and "concrete wall from sea to shining sea and Mexico will pay for it." And then don't get held accountable because everyone knew they lying when they said it.

Apparently, right wing progressives can lie all they want and their supporters will hand wave it away. Because everyone knows those people are lying, but they tell lies that low information voters want to hear and so they get power.
Tom

You could say the same about left-wingers with bells on.

Why do we bother trying to negotiate with these deplorables?

WTO here we come.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
You could say the same about left-wingers with bells on.
Except for the important fact that it's the progressives running both countries, not liberals.

So it's their lies that matter and they are who needs called to account.

Do you disagree?
Tom

Notanumber

A Free Man
Except for the important fact that it's the progressives running both countries, not liberals.

So it's their lies that matter and they are who needs called to account.

Do you disagree?
Tom

You could hardly call the modern Conservative Party illiberal but you could call the Liberal Party, the Labour Party and the Green Party just that.

Notanumber

A Free Man
Thank goodness, the UK still has sensible and rational people like this man –

Just think if we had to rely on the BBC and Channel 4.