• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How are we doing post-Brexit?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Quote who you like the result is the same,what’s very interesting is the red wall often touted as the areas most helped regions of the uk by the EU,it was also the region with a strong leave vote,I guess they realised that for the average person there was no benefit to staying in a failed project.

What was a good trading block and not a bad idea has turned into what it is now,what could have been a well constructed superstate,which btw I wouldn’t want but may have been more attractive to more people is a joke,all mouth no troussers,Italy Poland Hungary all say pfffft whatever to it but hey it’s a real gravy train for meds and the commission.

43% pffft.
Hows your food shortages?
Meat getting through like it used to?
Got any good trading deals yet?
How about nobel laureate? That idea was a good laugh eh?

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
43% pffft.
Hows your food shortages?
Meat getting through like it used to?
Got any good trading deals yet?
How about nobel laureate? That idea was a good laugh eh?

I haven’t noticed any,I can get what I want,I agree about the poet laureate thing though but hey it will give France a chance to catch up.

Flankerl

Always good to remember how the UK hasn't checked a single truck coming from the EU the entire year.

And now the UK is building up the propaganda that the EU shouldn't terminate the agreement after the UK has terminated it.
It's the good old "rules for thee but not for me".

ChristineM

Premium Member
A friend has sent a parcel with the kids Saturnalia presents. Douane informs me that there is €20 customs duty, €17.50 customs clearance fees, and €73 TVA (VAT) to pay before the parcel can be released. Thanks brexit and all the dorks and oiks who voted for it

ChristineM

Premium Member

Three of the most ridiculous Brexit 'benefits' the government is celebrating

Today, to coincide with the second anniversary of Britain's official departure from the EU, the government released a document outlining the 'benefits' of the policy.

At over 100 pages, the hefty document explores and explains what great things the government reckon are thanks to Brexit and gives itself a strong pat on the back for them.

But some of the benefits are more subjective than others, like these three:

Blue passports
Thanks to Brexit, we now have shiny new blue passports instead of the cursed burgundy ones. The report says: "All new British passports are now blue, a return to their original appearance, with the colour first introduced in 1921, and updated to be the most technologically-advanced and secure British passports ever, with the carbon footprint from their manufacture reduced to net zero."

Seems worth having a referendum over to us.

Enabling businesses to use a crown stamp symbol on pint glasses
The government claims Brexit has enabled us to put crown stamps on pint glasses, which sounds like a tidying the deckchairs on the Titanic type policy to us. Nevertheless, they say: "The Crown Stamp is a proud emblem of our heritage that people remain fond of. We have begun the process of allowing it to be used once again, a fitting tribute to Her Majesty’s Platinum Jubilee."

But awkwardly, the BBC reports that the European Commission has rejected the idea that EU rules stopped the UK from having the crown stamp on glasses as well.

A spokesperson told the broadcaster: "EU law does not prevent markings from being placed on products, so long as it does not overlap or be confused with the CE mark."

Oops.

Ensuring our iconic British products all get the recognition they deserve, through our own domestic Geographical Indication (GI) regime
The report says that our pork pies are safe. "British products from Stornoway Black Pudding to Scottish Salmon, Conwy Mussels to Welsh Lamb, Armagh Bramley Apples to Lough Neagh Eels, Melton Mowbray Pork Pies to Stilton Cheese and many more, are already protected."

Well thank goodness for that

Three of the most ridiculous Brexit 'benefits' the government is celebrating

Makes it all worthwhile

And as i remember, the passports before the red ones were actually black.

Altfish

Veteran Member
FLx6JGHXIAIsGQC

exchemist

Veteran Member
Yes very good, apart from the stuff about "privatising the NHS", whatever that is supposed to mean. That's just a trigger phrase, to stimulate a galvanic reflex. The NHS has always been partly private and nobody is threatening to stop it being a centrally funded system, free at the point of delivery, not even the moronic Brexitters in charge at the moment.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Yes very good, apart from the stuff about "privatising the NHS", whatever that is supposed to mean. That's just a trigger phrase, to stimulate a galvanic reflex. The NHS has always been partly private and nobody is threatening to stop it being a centrally funded system, free at the point of delivery, not even the moronic Brexitters in charge at the moment.
If they knew it wouldn't be electoral suicide this group of Tories would privatise the NHS tomorrow; they are trying to do it by stealth as it is.

exchemist

Veteran Member
If they knew it wouldn't be electoral suicide this group of Tories would privatise the NHS tomorrow; they are trying to do it by stealth as it is.
The NHS has always been part-private and would collapse overnight if there were no private medicine. So I really don't understand the fuss about the supposed, (without evidence, so far as I can see) motives of the Tories.

GPs have always been private, under contract to the NHS. Consultants rely on private practice, alongside their NHS work, to make enough money to want to stay in the profession. So I can't see that making more use of privately run clinics or hospitals, through contracts with the NHS, would be a radical change, or that it would self-evidently be a bad thing.

What's the issue here?

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
GPs have always been private, under contract to the NHS. Consultants rely on private practice, alongside their NHS work, to make enough money to want to stay in the profession. So I can't see that making more use of privately run clinics or hospitals, through contracts with the NHS, would be a radical change, or that it would self-evidently be a bad thing.

What's the issue here?
The NHS is an insurance system, is it not? How does the existence of private contractors with a public insurance system indicate that the insurance is "partially private"?

exchemist

Veteran Member
The NHS is an insurance system, is it not? How does the existence of private contractors with a public insurance system indicate that the insurance is "partially private"?
The insurance isn't but the provision is, as my post explained.

And not even the Tories have any plan to change the basis of the insurance. That would put them out of office for eternity and they know it.

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
Il Duce Farragio had been very quiet. Is he consoling the Farting Trumpet?

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
I wonder what his next grift is going to be, after creating a literal for-profit party to rake in donations.

Maybe an MLM scheme disguised as a political party. People could be rewarded with "Brexit Party local candidate" titles if they supplied enough suc... paying "party members".

exchemist

Veteran Member
I assume he's busy with GB News, hoping that, like Fox, it will start a culture war and divide the country into tribes of extremists. But it won't work.

ChristineM

Premium Member
A couple of points regarding British companies crapping on expats, many of whom have been long time loyal customers both before moving abroad and after, keeping their accounts based on the promises made.

First.

Despite promising all their overseas customers that they would not introduce roaming charges in Europe following Brexit all but one* mobile phone company has... You guessed... Introduced roaming charges. The cost of which makes owning a British mobile phone abroad prohibitive*.

* I understand O2 imposes roaming charges on new customers though existing customers have until the end of the year before roaming is imposed on them.

Second.

Despite promising to honour their european customers accounts following brexit most British banks have recently advised their European customers that they will be closing their accounts within the next 6 months. So **** you,

This has left a lot of ex pats with a serious problem. Pensions etc are paid in to their long held UK bank acounts. Some British pension companies will only pay into British accounts. Others charge a considerable amount (6% or more) to transfer money to an overseas bank.

Thanks brexit

JIMMY12345

exchemist

Veteran Member
Cue circus music and clowns..............

There will be no deal until the NI Protocol is being adhered to and the Good Friday Agreement thereby safeguarded. Biden has made that very clear.

The failure to do that was the central lie behind Bozo's claim to have "got Brexit done". He promised opposite things to each side and then left the scene. So it's not "done" at all.