• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How are these Great Beings explained?

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
Don't you think the middle of the 20th century would fit the bill? And please also note that I was only suggesting that Gandhi's application of ahimsa was, perhaps, a morally superior teaching to Krishna's appeal to Arjuna's sense of duty.

My main point though, is that there are (and have been) many wise men. Gandhi appears, in the eyes of many, to have been a kind of unreformed Arjuna or even a latter day Dhritarashtra (the King who counseled Yudhisthir not to fight, arguing, essentially, that it would be better to allow unrighteousness rulership to go unchecked than to join in the carnage of righteous warfare). But morally, Gandhi elevated his teachings above the plane of human conflict. His teachings may be influential in the minds of humans, but it has had little effect on humankind simply because it has not been adopted as the totem of any 'great civilization'.

Krishna, I am guessing (and I am fairly sure a good number of Hindus would agree), would have opposed Gandhi's position just as he did Arjuna's and Dhritarashtra's. But which is the higher dharma - our duty to the lives of other humans or our duty to the social order? And who decides which social order is right if it's not the one that values life as more sacred than territory or rulership?

That conflict is unresolved - as far as I can see - in the teachings of the "Great Educators". Krishna, Moses and Muhammad seem to stand on one side, boldly defending a righteous social order, whilst Jesus and Gandhi (if I can put a wise man rather than a "Great Being" in the list) stand on the other, "turning the other cheek" and letting themselves be "wronged" and "defrauded" in pursuit of moral excellence. (Matthew 5:39; 1 Corinthians 6:7) (I don't know enough about the teachings of Buddha, Zoroaster or Bahá'u'lláh to comment on their positions).
The point is: the "Great Educators" equivocate on this - probably the most important question for the human family (which question could be rephrased: "how can we stop killing each other") - and even the ones who have plumped for non-violence have been largely ignored (on that most important aspect) as their teachings have been elevated to the status of "Great Religion". I am still failing to see how protraction or repetition of the same process will help.

I wholeheartedly agonize with you on the dilemma of why we don't stop killing each other despite having had numerous Great Teachers come to try and elevate us above these animalistic tendencies.

Firstly, we live in a time of darkness so we cannot envisage or know how it felt say to live in the Golden Eras of these Teachers.

What, if anything, can instill in us that self same hope and spirit the early disciples of Jesus would have had? Or are we living in a time of no hope and complete despair? It would seem so to those who have not been inebriated with the wine of the knowledge of Baha'u'llah.

But with His coming, a new spirit has dawned. A spirit of massive hope and confidence in our future, a glorious future. But to see this vision one needs to be in touch with that spirit by either reading the Writings of Baha'u'llah or/and mixing with Baha'is.

We are building a new world civilisation from scratch. Sounds unbelievable but we already have a worldwide community, a cross section of humanity comprised of the most hostile and once antagonistic sects, races and nationalities, all united working together harmoniously.

A Shangrila if you like to call it in the midst of this hell hole of a depressing world.

People can't believe such hope and happiness does exist without being mentally deranged. I say - come and see for yourself.

Humanity will pass through some more dark times but it will enter a golden age of peace and prosperity never before witnessed on this planet and I'm so glad my life is helping lay the foundations of it for future generations.

There is a beautiful future in store for humanity. All we need to do is embrace it.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
Do you really believe that Jesus' message is exemplified in Christianity today? Do you really believe he intended for it to spread as violently as it did? The only thing "unique" about Christianity that made is spread was that men in power saw a message that appealed to the poor and the weak, and they exploited it. Suffering isn't so bad when it leads to repentance. Poverty a virtue that guarantees heaven. Yet all the while you give your money to those who "speak for god."

And if you don't? Hell awaits.

There is nothing unique there, nothing "of god"; only fear and control.

Exactly the reason why Jesus said He would return to bring a 'new song' - a new Revelation with new teachings.

Of course she didn't mean for it to spread except by love. Which is again, why He said He would return.

siti

First of all thanks for the kind invitation, however, I think your comment here:
I wholeheartedly agonize with you on the dilemma of why we don't stop killing each other despite having had numerous Great Teachers come to try and elevate us above these animalistic tendencies.
missed the point of mine which was that, by and large, as far as we can make out, the Great Teachers did not really teach the highest moral virtue - namely respecting the sanctity of life by non-violence - or if they did (as it appears Jesus might have done), that key part of their message was almost universally ignored or at least supplanted by the lesser moral virtue of duty to the social order in the establishment of the religions of their 'followers'. Your Shangrila sounds suspiciously like "paradise regained", "the Promised Land", "Jannah"...etc. And our record of making these "everyone under his own vine and his own fig tree" visions of peace and spiritual prosperity is far from auspicious. To be fair though, I am going to read some of the documents your fellow Baha'is have linked to - I am treading territory I am dangerously ignorant of by commenting on Baha'i beliefs at all, so I need to fix my ignorance first I think.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
First of all thanks for the kind invitation, however, I think your comment here:
missed the point of mine which was that, by and large, as far as we can make out, the Great Teachers did not really teach the highest moral virtue - namely respecting the sanctity of life by non-violence - or if they did (as it appears Jesus might have done), that key part of their message was almost universally ignored or at least supplanted by the lesser moral virtue of duty to the social order in the establishment of the religions of their 'followers'. Your Shangrila sounds suspiciously like "paradise regained", "the Promised Land", "Jannah"...etc. And our record of making these "everyone under his own vine and his own fig tree" visions of peace and spiritual prosperity is far from auspicious. To be fair though, I am going to read some of the documents your fellow Baha'is have linked to - I am treading territory I am dangerously ignorant of by commenting on Baha'i beliefs at all, so I need to fix my ignorance first I think.

Yes, I fully agree with you, religion should be about peace and love. This is from the Baha'i Writings about the sanctity of life and non violence in relation to religion.

"Religion should unite all hearts and cause wars and disputes to vanish from the face of the earth, give birth to spirituality, and bring life and light to each heart. If religion becomes a cause of dislike, hatred and division, it were better to be without it, and to withdraw from such a religion would be a truly religious act. For it is clear that the purpose of a remedy is to cure; but if the remedy should only aggravate the complaint it had better be left alone. Any religion which is not a cause of love and unity is no religion. "

Abdul-Baha

omega2xx

Moses was true, Buddha was true and He came before Jesus

All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. That includes Moses, and we know he sinned and it includes Buddha and all religious leders.

and nothing is mentioned in the Bible against Buddha or Krishna so adding to the Bible things that are not there invite the curse of God. Neither was Zoroaster. Muhammad was prophesied in both the Old and New Testaments as were the Bab and Baha'u'llah.

Where?

All religions that have a deity other than Jehovah are false religions according to the Bible. If you do not accept the Bible being from God and inerrant, that is you call.

Have you read the beautiful Words of Krishna or the Dhammapada of the Buddha, the Zend Avesta of Zoroaster or the Hidden Words of Baha'u'llah or the praise with which the Quran lavishes in Jesus? The Bible commands us to value truth and goodness and all these Manifestations taught goodness and truth and are equal to Jesus in every way.

Beautiful words can and are spoken by man and that does not mean they are true.

Philippians 4:8

Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.

How do you determine which words meet those requirements?

If some one commits an error and wrong toward you, you must instantly forgive him. Do not complain of others. Baha'i

When we sin against God, He does not automatically forgive us. We must come to Him and sincerely confess it. If someone sins against me, they must come to me and sincerely confess it. Then I MUST forgive them. Why should God forgive something I am not sorry about? Do you not think repentance is important?

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Hi Windwalker. Great to see you again!!
Likewise.

There's only a unique handful who have achieved this and I can't put it down to such a random thing like timing, culture, luck or charisma.
I think you underestimate the currents of culture that foster and nurture these gifts we as individuals have that give rise to these people and the movements created in their names. These religious, or political, or culturally influential people would have no name whatsoever if they existed in a vacuum. They had something to say, because the need surrounding them existed.

What you need to try to wrap your mind around is that those like a Jesus figure exist all over the place, but their gifts only appear when the pressures of the environment are such that it causes them to emerge. In other words, it created them out of the potentials they possessed laying in wait within them. It made it come out. During times of great political and social unrest is when those like a Martin Luther King appear. If everything had been hunkydory socially, you'd have never heard his name nor seen what gifts he had come to bear. The greatest art humans produce is created during the darkest of times when we reach for Light. That's how these things work.

You need those things but you also need a spirit that can withstand change and despite massive changes to our world, their Message keeps winning hearts and minds.
Another factor you are not taking into account here is that the understanding of what these teachings are evolve. They do not, nor should, remain static. Their enduring power is because people invest themselves in them. It's not that their words were necessarily deeper or wiser than any other great teachers of wisdom that exist the world over in all generations of humans, but they were the ones that got promoted, that people invested themselves into, and made the teaching have the power they do.

An analogy for his is that without the marketplace, without the consumers, the currency has no value. The dollar is strong because people spend it and invest in it. The dollar is not a magical piece of paper just sitting on a desk somewhere. We make it alive. We make it do magical things, so to speak. Christ is nothing, completely powerless if people didn't invest themselves in it.

Buddha 2,500 years ago, Christ 2,000 years, Muhammad 1400. And what they achieved was without wealth or power and even intense opposition.
Well, this is not true at all. Let's take Christ specifically here. Jesus did not start the Christian church. His followers did. And how they achieved that was again because people invested themselves in the movement started in his name by various groups in those early years. How it became The Church of Rome was in fact very much a result of both power and wealth under the Emperor Constantine. His power and wealth made it the official religion of the Roman Empire. And as he did that, all sorts of other little groups like the Christian movement fell off into obscurity.

Christianity didn't become what it is because it's message was necessarily more profound or enduring than any of the other movements out there. They simply became what they were because of circumstances and people with power and wealth who both promoted and spread by force it's reach through the empire. It could have been any other religion, or any other "prophet" today you believe was "sent by God". You're starting with who "won" out, and presuming it had a divine plan behind it. The same way you imagine evolution is all about human beings.

Jesus a carpenter eventually won over Rome
Constantine won over Rome, not Jesus.

Moses overcame Pharoah
That's a mythology. It never happened historically. But even so, you don't think God drowning the armies of Pharaoh in the mythology isn't the use of force and power???

, Muhammad the Meccans.
Islam spread by the conquest of warfare, i.e., power.

Without any wealth or power how have these Beings established their ascendancy and their Cause over all the world?
Their followers seized upon the religion with their wealth and power to spread it, and themselves, all over the world. These are the facts.

You cannot separate the religions in their names with the so-called success of the founders. Without the religions, their teachings would be lost in the sands of history, just like so very many are. And that is my entire point.

What drove it if it wasn't money and power? Culture, charm ? Yes but you need more than that to survive and thrive thousands of years later.
In all honesty, of all the millions of Christians out there, few actually are. For the most part, they are members of the religion, and the teachings of Jesus are neither understood nor followed by them. The reason his teachings survive, is because the religion in his name has them preserved as part of the objects of their faith, like the stripes on the flag.

Very few understand them, so the "success" of his teachings should really only be measured by the very few, scant souls whom they actually resonate within. I wouldn't call that "highly successful", actually on the scale of "taking over the world". They haven't. Nor should that, necessarily be the measure of worth in order to hold them in esteem. If you were to measure the actual value of the teachings, then I'd say Buddhism has far greater influence in people's lived experience because it's more about experience than belief. Christ's teachings are suffocated underneath the blanket of "acceptable doctrine," and whatnot.

If we could put our finger on it and bottle it don't you think men would have done it by now?
They have, and I just explained it fairly well. Don't mistake you not recognizing these factors with people not having successfully identified them, and supported them.

I put it down to God because that to me is the only way they could have and still have such a massive influence over billions of people thousands of years after they have died.
And this is why you mythologize these things, because you aren't looking at the very human, and very natural social and cultural factors that are in fact responsible for what you see. When you ignore these, then it all just seems like magic. But it's not. It's far more complex, nuanced, and fascinating than the magical view which ignores the complexity.

Last edited:

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. That includes Moses, and we know he sinned and it includes Buddha and all religious leders.

Moses never sinned. God's rebuke was meant for the Israelis through Moses but not Moses Himself.

Where?

All religions that have a deity other than Jehovah are false religions according to the Bible. If you do not accept the Bible being from God and inerrant, that is you call.

The Bible is the Word of God. There is only One God although people understand Him in different ways.

Beautiful words can and are spoken by man and that does not mean they are true.

Just like we know the Bible is true so do we know the others are true.

How do you determine which words meet those requirements?

The pure in heart can see God. That is what Christ said.

When we sin against God, He does not automatically forgive us. We must come to Him and sincerely confess it. If someone sins against me, they must come to me and sincerely confess it. Then I MUST forgive them. Why should God forgive something I am not sorry about? Do you not think repentance is important?

Yes we must be sincere in our repentance otherwise it's lying. God knows our hearts if we are sincerely sorry or not. But the Bible teaches us to love our enemies and to forgive those who harm us.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
Likewise.

I think you underestimate the currents of culture that foster and nurture these gifts we as individuals have that give rise to these people and the movements created in their names. These religious, or political, or culturally influential people would have no name whatsoever if they existed in a vacuum. They had something to say, because the need surrounding them existed.

What you need to try to wrap your mind around is that those like a Jesus figure exist all over the place, but their gifts only appear when the pressures of the environment are such that it causes them to emerge. In other words, it created them out of the potentials they possessed laying in wait within them. It made it come out. During times of great political and social unrest is when those like a Martin Luther King appear. If everything had been hunkydory socially, you'd have never heard his name nor seen what gifts he had come to bear. The greatest art humans produce is created during the darkest of times when we reach for Light. That's how these things work.

Another factor you are not taking into account here is that the understanding of what these teachings are evolve. They do not, nor should, remain static. Their enduring power is because people invest themselves in them. It's not that their words were necessarily deeper or wiser than any other great teachers of wisdom that exist the world over in all generations of humans, but they were the ones that got promoted, that people invested themselves into, and made the teaching have the power they do.

An analogy for his is that without the marketplace, without the consumers, the currency has no value. The dollar is strong because people spend it and invest in it. The dollar is not a magical piece of paper just sitting on a desk somewhere. We make it alive. We make it do magical things, so to speak. Christ is nothing, completely powerless if people didn't invest themselves in it.

Well, this is not true at all. Let's take Christ specifically here. Jesus did not start the Christian church. His followers did. And how they achieved that was again because people invested themselves in the movement started in his name by various groups in those early years. How it became The Church of Rome was in fact very much a result of both power and wealth under the Emperor Constantine. His power and wealth made it the official religion of the Roman Empire. And as he did that, all sorts of other little groups like the Christian movement fell off into obscurity.

Christianity didn't become what it is because it's message was necessarily more profound or enduring than any of the other movements out there. They simply became what they were because of circumstances and people with power and wealth who both promoted and spread by force it's reach through the empire. It could have been any other religion, or any other "prophet" today you believe was "sent by God". You're starting with who "won" out, and presuming it had a divine plan behind it. The same way you imagine evolution is all about human beings.

Constantine won over Rome, not Jesus.

That's a mythology. It never happened historically.

Islam spread by the conquest of warfare, i.e., power.

Their followers seized upon the religion with their wealth and power to spread it, and themselves, all over the world. These are the facts.

You cannot separate the religions in their names, from the founders. Without the religions, their teaches would be lost to history, just like so very many are. And that is my entire point.

In all honesty, of all the millions of Christians out there, few actually are. For the most part, they are members of the religion, and the teachings of Jesus are neither understood nor followed by them. The reason his teachings survive, is because the religion in his name has them preserved as part of the objects of their faith, like the stripes on the flag.

Very few understand them, so the "success" of his teachings should really only be measured by the very few, scant souls whom they actually resonate within. I wouldn't call that "highly successful", actually on the scale of "taking over the world". They haven't. Nor should that, necessarily be the measure of worth in order to hold them in esteem. If you were to measure the actual value of the teachings, then I'd say Buddhism has far greater influence in people's lived experience because it's more about experience than belief.

They have, and I just explained it fairly well. Don't mistake you not recognizing these factors with people not having successfully identified them, and supported them.
And this is why you mythologize these things, because you aren't looking at the very human, and very natural social and cultural factors that are in fact responsible for what you see. When you ignore these, then it all just seems like magic. But it's not.[/QUOTE]

We are both working on different premises for their influence. You are saying it can all be explained and I am saying it was the Divine Spirit, God, which empowered their Words and lives that was responsible for their effect upon the world.

My understanding is that without God, all these Teachers Causes would have died with them when they died.

We do have famous men but these Teachers were able to effect the way people lived for thousands of years till today. Causes come and go but their Cause lives on.

We believe Buddha taught about God but that His followers do not have all His Teachings. He said His doctrine over time would decay and a counterfeit dhamma would arise. I believe the counterfeit one is the one that excluded God.

Anyway to you God is a myth and I respect your belief but I see God as clearly as the sun.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
We see Krishna as a Manifestation of God and anything the Gita says we agree with that.

Loverofhumanity,

1. Krishna (unless a Hindu corrects me in my quick research) is a deity (like you believe the creator is a deity). In monotheistic traditions, there is only one deity not many. One creator, not many.

2. Krishna isn't a god in his/her own right but an incarnation of Vishnu. Most monotheistic religions do not acknowledge other incarnations of god other than Bahai and Christianity (with mainstream incarnation is jesus christ).

3. Vishnu "is the second god in the Hindu triumvirate (orTrimurti). The triumvirate consists of three gods who are responsible for the creation, upkeep and destruction of the world. The other two gods are Brahma and Shiva."

There is only one creator in monotheistic traditions, unless Bahai recognizes more than one creator, Krishna (Vishnu) cannot be a manifestation of your god. Krishna does not share the same creator attributes as your god possess. Krishna cannot be a manifestation of your god because that is saying that Krishna is not Vishnu and that is also saying that the Hindu description of Vishnu as one creator of many as invalid or wrong in light of how your god describes him instead.

The Buddha is a human not a manifestation of anyone. His teachings can be revered by anyone, but as soon as you place The Dharma as a manifestation of any creator, it is no longer The Dharma of the Buddha. Many Buddhist are respectful to other traditions (as in your posts way back) but to say that The Buddha is a manifestation of a creator is saying The Buddha is a lier and even more so displacing his teachings that the gods of India (say Hindu gods) do not lead to enlightenment but only analyzing and practice that trains the mind does.

There is no creator or god in The Dharma; so, a Bahai can be enlightened by The Dharma (anyone can). The issue is the source of enlightenment is not the same as the one The Buddha taught. The source of enlightenment has nothing to do with a creator but with training the mind and practice. Any Bahai can achieve enlightenment by following The Dharma. That's not the issue. The issue is saying the source is a manifestation of a creator that The Dharma and The Buddha does not recognize.

Can you see a contradiction in these statements (even though you disagree)?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
We believe Buddha taught about God but that His followers do not have all His Teachings. He said His doctrine over time would decay and a counterfeit dhamma would arise. I believe the counterfeit one is the one that excluded God

The Dharma is kept alive by passing down oral traditions and practices between lineages. The only gods The Buddba came in contact where Hindu and other gods native to his land. They are not monotheists and the creators have different attributes than bahai. The Dharma is also older than Bahai, Muslim, and Christian thought. Hinduism even older than Buddhism. To say The Dharma is lost and your interpretation of hem is true is a direct insult to buddhists who have kept the Dharma alive and in practicez years befors The Bab and Bahaullah were born.

The bab, bahaullah, and bahai cant change other religions to follow under heir god. Christ would have a field day if you told him that.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Exactly the reason why Jesus said He would return to bring a 'new song' - a new Revelation with new teachings.

Of course she didn't mean for it to spread except by love. Which is again, why He said He would return.
Which gives the very strong indication that his message would not stick. Might want to revise that "2,000 years influence" timeline.

Tabu

We see Krishna as a Manifestation of God and anything the Gita says we agree with that.
Good to know that,
Well, our view of Krishn and Gita is pretty much different .
We believe Gita was spoken by the Supreme Father Shiv at the confluence age where knowledge is imparted to turn Humans to Deities and the foremost soul to receive this knowledge , and purify himself is born as Krishn in the Golden Age which is established after the destruction of the Iron age.
Gita is the Mother of all Scriptures and this knowledge is retained in the souls proportionate to their intake of knowledge at the confluence age and their capacity to retain it.
All other scriptures are derived and expressed in the Copper age from this knowledge retained by the souls.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
We are both working on different premises for their influence. You are saying it can all be explained and I am saying it was the Divine Spirit, God, which empowered their Words and lives that was responsible for their effect upon the world.
For your record, I do believe in God. However, the way in which these things happen are not the magical maps which most mythologies present. They are still Divine, but in ways which do not bypass natural evolution, social, biological, or otherwise. Your map, for it to be true, has to ignore huge amounts of data. My map does not.

My understanding is that without God, all these Teachers Causes would have died with them when they died.
Here's what I'd like you to understand. You can have someone with just as much, if not even more depth than Jesus of Nazareth, but his or her words and influence may only touch a very small circle in their lifetime. They may only touch one other person, and yet have a greater impact on the world through that one person, that some other religious teacher ever could. It's not the quantity, but the quality that matters. One glass of water is wet and refreshing as the whole ocean, and is that whole ocean is in that one single glass. More is not better.

To touch one soul with Truth, is worth more than a million who convert to a religion.

We do have famous men but these Teachers were able to effect the way people lived for thousands of years till today. Causes come and go but their Cause lives on.
I very much disagree with this. Even though you may not know their names historically, their influence on the world, through even one person, has become part of you today in ways you do not recognize. The whole is interconnected.

We believe Buddha taught about God but that His followers do not have all His Teachings.
I'm sure there is not a Buddhist alive that would agree with that. However, I will say this, he did not teach there was no God, he simply excluded that as part of the teachings. What the Buddhist speak of can be called God, but teaching about God is outside of what they teach. It is not a path of devotion to deities, but awakening the Buddha mind within us.

He said His doctrine over time would decay and a counterfeit dhamma would arise. I believe the counterfeit one is the one that excluded God.
I'd love your source references for this. Can you point me to these where anyone outside the Baha'i faith itself teaches this? But to the real question, how does teaching about God fit into Buddhist doctrine? What value or benefit does it bring? You do know however that Mahayana and Tibetan Buddhism in particular do have deities? Are you aware of that?

Anyway to you God is a myth and I respect your belief but I see God as clearly as the sun.
God is not a myth to me, but the very atmosphere in which I live and move and have my being. I do not see or talk about God in mythological terms which ignores all the more than valid data I have been presenting. God is there, just not encased within a mythological storyline. A mythology is just a simplified, yet powerful storyline full of symbolic value and meanings. It's not however an explanation for how things really happened. That misses the point of the story. People would do well to understand that difference.

Last edited:

David T

Premium Member
Certainly far less people claiming to speak for god.
Specifically Yes literattly
It seems your just afraid of reductionism.

Reductionism will always be a valid and useful methodology, and will always be necessary.
oh really I had zero clue since I build buildings to that profound insight. What is your job exactly? " JESUS literally rose from the dead" that's reductionism.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
Loverofhumanity,

1. Krishna (unless a Hindu corrects me in my quick research) is a deity (like you believe the creator is a deity). In monotheistic traditions, there is only one deity not many. One creator, not many.

2. Krishna isn't a god in his/her own right but an incarnation of Vishnu. Most monotheistic religions do not acknowledge other incarnations of god other than Bahai and Christianity (with mainstream incarnation is jesus christ).

3. Vishnu "is the second god in the Hindu triumvirate (orTrimurti). The triumvirate consists of three gods who are responsible for the creation, upkeep and destruction of the world. The other two gods are Brahma and Shiva."

There is only one creator in monotheistic traditions, unless Bahai recognizes more than one creator, Krishna (Vishnu) cannot be a manifestation of your god. Krishna does not share the same creator attributes as your god possess. Krishna cannot be a manifestation of your god because that is saying that Krishna is not Vishnu and that is also saying that the Hindu description of Vishnu as one creator of many as invalid or wrong in light of how your god describes him instead.

The Buddha is a human not a manifestation of anyone. His teachings can be revered by anyone, but as soon as you place The Dharma as a manifestation of any creator, it is no longer The Dharma of the Buddha. Many Buddhist are respectful to other traditions (as in your posts way back) but to say that The Buddha is a manifestation of a creator is saying The Buddha is a lier and even more so displacing his teachings that the gods of India (say Hindu gods) do not lead to enlightenment but only analyzing and practice that trains the mind does.

There is no creator or god in The Dharma; so, a Bahai can be enlightened by The Dharma (anyone can). The issue is the source of enlightenment is not the same as the one The Buddha taught. The source of enlightenment has nothing to do with a creator but with training the mind and practice. Any Bahai can achieve enlightenment by following The Dharma. That's not the issue. The issue is saying the source is a manifestation of a creator that The Dharma and The Buddha does not recognize.

Can you see a contradiction in these statements (even though you disagree)?

I understand what you are saying but this is how we understand it.

Both Krishna and Buddha, what we do know is both of them prophesied they would one day return.

Krishna

"To deliver the pious and to annihilate the miscreants, as well as to reestablish the principles of religion, I Myself appear, millennium after millennium." - Bhagavad-Gita ch 8

Buddha

25. there will arise in the world a Blessed Lord,
an Arahant fully-enlightened Buddha named Mettyya
endowed with wisdom and conduct, a Well-Farer, Knower of the worlds, incomparable Trainer of men to be tamed, Teacher of gods and humans, enlightened and blessed, just as I am now.
He will thoroughly know by his own super-knowledge, and
proclaim, this universe with its devas, maras and Brahmas,
its ascetics and Brahmins, and this generation with its princes
and people, just as I do now. He will teach the Dhamma,
lovely in its beginning, lovely in its middle, lovely in its
ending, in the spirit and in the letter, and proclaim, just as I do now, the holy life in its fullness and purity. He will be
attended by a company of thousands of monks, just as I am
attended by a company of hundreds. (Digha Nikaya,)

The return spoken of by both Krishna and Buddha we believe has already occurred in the Person of Baha'u'llah. And if He is the Fifth Buddha and is teaching the Dhamma 'just as Buddha did' then Buddha definitely taught about God.

What it means basically is that a lot of Buddha's original teachings have been lost and altered over time

Maitreya, Baha'u'llah is stating unequivocally that there is a Creator and God and that the current understanding amongst Hindus and Buddhists is flawed. If He is the return of Krishna and Buddha then He is speaking in an authoritative capacity and those who disagree are disregarding their own scriptures regarding the return of their Teacher.

It may be very hard for a person to tear themselves away from what tradition says but being sincere and humble we need to be open minded and question whether or not Buddha did mention a God but that we are overlooking it. "O Monks, there is an unborn an Uncreated.........

The promises in the scriptures of all Faiths undoubtedly speak of a Great One to come. So one day He must come. We are saying He has come and are announcing the Glad Tidings and summoning mankind to Baha'u'llah Who they have been expecting for thousands of years.

The promise of a Great One to come is in every Holy Book.

Last edited:

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
For your record, I do believe in God. However, the way in which these things happen are not the magical maps which most mythologies present. They are still Divine, but in ways which do not bypass natural evolution, social, biological, or otherwise. Your map, for it to be true, has to ignore huge amounts of data. My map does not.

Here's what I'd like you to understand. You can have someone with just as much, if not even more depth than Jesus of Nazareth, but his or her words and influence may only touch a very small circle in their lifetime. They may only touch one other person, and yet have a greater impact on the world through that one person, that some other religious teacher ever could. It's not the quantity, but the quality that matters. One glass of water is wet and refreshing as the whole ocean, and is that whole ocean is in that one single glass. More is not better.

To touch one soul with Truth, is worth more than a million who convert to a religion.

I very much disagree with this. Even though you may not know their names historically, their influence on the world, through even one person, has become part of you today in ways you do not recognize. The whole is interconnected.

I'm sure there is not a Buddhist alive that would agree with that. However, I will say this, he did not teach there was no God, he simply excluded that as part of the teachings. What the Buddhist speak of can be called God, but teaching about God is outside of what they teach. It is not a path of devotion to deities, but awakening the Buddha mind within us.

I'd love your source references for this. Can you point me to these where anyone outside the Baha'i faith itself teaches this? But to the real question, how does teaching about God fit into Buddhist doctrine? What value or benefit does it bring? You do know however that Mahayana and Tibetan Buddhism in particular do have deities? Are you aware of that?

God is not a myth to me, but the very atmosphere in which I live and move and have my being. I do not see or talk about God in mythological terms which ignores all the more than valid data I have been presenting. God is there, just not encased within a mythological storyline. A mythology is just a simplified, yet powerful storyline full of symbolic value and meanings. It's not however an explanation for how things really happened. That misses the point of the story. People would do well to understand that difference.

Our belief in God includes science as we believe science too comes from God. We believe there is a Divine Power guiding humanity and which has initiated certain processes that the followers spread.

This link explains how over time the true Dhamma, the one that believed in the oneness of God, disappeared to be replaced with a counterfeit Dhamma which says that there is no God.

English translation of SN 16.13, “The Counterfeit of the True Dhamma”

All Holy Books foretell a Great One to come and so did Buddha. He foretold One called Mettya who would teach the same truths that Buddha taught. We believe that to be Baha'u'llah and He taught about God. If He is the Fifth Buddha, it goes without saying that if He taught what the Buddha taught and Baha'u'llah taught about God then Buddha also taught about God but a counterfeit Dhamma has arisen as predicted and it has whitewashed God completely but it is not the true Dhamma.

This is how Bahaullah describes the power of God

"Every single letter proceeding from Our mouth is endowed with such regenerative power as to enable it to bring into existence a new creation—a creation the magnitude of which is inscrutable to all save God. He verily hath knowledge of all things.” “It is in Our power, should We wish it, to enable a speck of floating dust to generate, in less than the twinkling of an eye, suns of infinite, of unimaginable splendor, to cause a dewdrop to develop into vast and numberless oceans, to infuse into every letter such a force as to empower it to unfold all the knowledge of past and future ages.” “We are possessed of such power which, if brought to light, will transmute the most deadly of poisons into a panacea of unfailing efficacy.” - Baha'u'llah

This passage above describes the power we believe the Manifestations of God were endowed with. They had the power to change and transform humanity. Yes, processes were set in place, which over time transformed the world but the power above was behind it. if it wasn't the will of God Christ would never have been heard of.

There always have been wonderful souls which have brought many blessings to humanity but they were as the moon compared to these Suns of Reality.

Again this mystical power Bahaullah speaks of that is born of God is what even caused the arts and sciences to flourish.

Know thou that when the Son of Man yielded up His breath to God, the whole creation wept with a great weeping. By sacrificing Himself, however, a fresh capacity was infused into all created things. Its evidences, as witnessed in all the peoples of the earth, are now manifest before thee. The deepest wisdom which the sages have uttered, the profoundest learning which any mind hath unfolded, the arts which the ablest hands have produced, the influence exerted by the most potent of rulers, are but manifestations of the quickening power released by His transcendent, His all-pervasive, and resplendent Spirit.- Bahaullah

It wasn't magic but the Holy Spirit.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
Good to know that,
Well, our view of Krishn and Gita is pretty much different .
We believe Gita was spoken by the Supreme Father Shiv at the confluence age where knowledge is imparted to turn Humans to Deities and the foremost soul to receive this knowledge , and purify himself is born as Krishn in the Golden Age which is established after the destruction of the Iron age.
Gita is the Mother of all Scriptures and this knowledge is retained in the souls proportionate to their intake of knowledge at the confluence age and their capacity to retain it.
All other scriptures are derived and expressed in the Copper age from this knowledge retained by the souls.

I'm always looking to learn more about Krishna. We accept Him as an integral part of our Faith. In our Houses of Worship in all our services, we include readings from the Bhagavad-Gita.

We also believe that His Tenth Avatar, Kalki has returned in the Person of Baha'u'llah.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
Which gives the very strong indication that his message would not stick. Might want to revise that "2,000 years influence" timeline.

Christ's influence is evident for all to see but over time it has decayed and is not in its original pristine purity thus the need for renewal.

When a tree no longer bears fruit God plants another Tree.

Christianity still brings forth many fruits but it is unable to solve mankinds current problems which is why Christ returned in the Person of Bahaullah,Who has come to unite mankind.

Cobol

Code Jockey
Specifically Yes literattly
oh really I had zero clue since I build buildings to that profound insight. What is your job exactly? " JESUS literally rose from the dead" that's reductionism.

You simply make no sense with your statements.

I'm a Cobol developer for a major banking institution.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
The Dharma is kept alive by passing down oral traditions and practices between lineages. The only gods The Buddba came in contact where Hindu and other gods native to his land. They are not monotheists and the creators have different attributes than bahai. The Dharma is also older than Bahai, Muslim, and Christian thought. Hinduism even older than Buddhism. To say The Dharma is lost and your interpretation of hem is true is a direct insult to buddhists who have kept the Dharma alive and in practicez years befors The Bab and Bahaullah were born.

The bab, bahaullah, and bahai cant change other religions to follow under heir god. Christ would have a field day if you told him that.

The decay of the Dhamma is mentioned in Buddhist scriptures as well as the coming of Mettya. Baha'u'llah's coming is simply the fulfilment of Buddhist and Hindu prophecies.

Last edited: