• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How are jivas or subtle bodies created as per Advaita?

The Crimson Universe

As per advaita, jivas are nothing but sookskhma sharira. But i need to know how are jivas created.

Advaita believes that the jiva (which is sookshma sharira) stops exisiting upon videha mukti. So if there's an end for the jivas, there must be a beginning for the jivas as well.

Are jivas (sookshma shariras) created out of pancha mahabhutas or something else? ... If advaita doesn't deal with this topic then i'm sure that Samkhya philosophy must have discussed about the formation of the subtle body. An answer from a Samkhyan perspective wouldn't be bad.

Please give a detailed answer, in a step by step manner, like which element existed first and what emerged from it ... and later which element was finally responsible for the formation of the subtle body. Thanks.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
As per advaita, jivas are nothing but sookskhma sharira. But i need to know how are jivas created.

Advaita believes that the jiva (which is sookshma sharira) stops exisiting upon videha mukti. So if there's an end for the jivas, there must be a beginning for the jivas as well.

Are jivas (sookshma shariras) created out of pancha mahabhutas or something else? ... If advaita doesn't deal with this topic then i'm sure that Samkhya philosophy must have discussed about the formation of the subtle body. An answer from a Samkhyan perspective wouldn't be bad.

Please give a detailed answer, in a step by step manner, like which element existed first and what emerged from it ... and later which element was finally responsible for the formation of the subtle body. Thanks.

Raindrops from a cloud.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member

My best understanding as an Advaita Vedanta student is:

Brahman Alone is Real. The illusion of separate entities comes from the play drama called 'Maya'. In this mysterious process there are various planes of relative-reality from subtlest to densest (physical). Brahman incarnates first the subtlest level (mahaparanirvanic) of the subtlest matter. Subtler level bodies then incarnate more dense level bodies to experience those levels.

So my best answer to your question: 'How are jivas or subtle bodies created as per Advaita?' would be through the action of Maya (Brahman allowing itself to experience separateness).