• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Americans Feel About Religious Groups

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
It is so odd to see atheism be mistrusted. Particularly when compared with theistic religions.

Skwim

Veteran Member
PF_14.07.16_interreligiousRelations_totalRatings1.png

I would have thought that Jews would rank between Catholics and evangelical Christians, and Mormons above Buddhists and Hindus; maybe even above evangelical Christians.

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
So you're hated even more than Mormons. Stop patting yourself on the back. We're not doing much better than you are! ;)

Hee!

Please note within that poll, that "favorability" varies greatly upon which group is asked.

I'm confident that amongst Mormons, Mormans score really high:)

Sees

Dragonslayer
Shocked at the highest rating? Influences strongly at work here :) surprised Buddhists are not higher, even though few participated

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
What I find really odd about these data is that PEW is usually pretty good about having an "other" group. There is no "other" group. So what the heck would they stuff someone like me in? Unaffiliated? Because that would be quite wrong. XD

s2a

It is so odd to see atheism be mistrusted. Particularly when compared with theistic religions.

Not really shocking nor odd at all.

In most previous polling (in the US of A), atheists have always finished dead last.

WE live within, for better or worse, a nation that expects some belief in magical thinking and wishes, no matter what the named "faith" may be.

Well except now, Muslims.

Never-mind that Muslims pray to the very same "god" as Jews and "Christians".

Just one last brief reminder that our very own US Constitution specifically states that there shall be NO religious tests employed to qualify for any elective office.

Oh well...

Sees

Dragonslayer
Not really shocking nor odd at all.

In most previous polling (in the US of A), atheists have always finished dead last.

WE live within, for better or worse, a nation that expects some belief in magical thinking and wishes, no matter what the named "faith" may be.

Well except now, Muslims.

Never-mind that Muslims pray to the very same "god" as Jews and "Christians".

Just one last brief reminder that our very own US Constitution specifically states that there shall be NO religious tests employed to qualify for any elective office.

Oh well...

I think it is notion that atheists lack moral ground among certain areas/groups. Guessing what people see as strange beliefs and generalized behavior of the group is the vote swaying factor...besides the very big one of vote for your own group.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Why? Why wouldn't those designated as "outsiders" be deemed untrustworthy? That's pretty normal.

Ah, but theistic religions are not random groups of outsiders. They are groups of outsiders that have convinced themselves to be favored by God.

That is pretty scary really.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
s2a said:

As unfair as it may be, individual voters are completely within their rights vote on such basis.

s2a

As unfair as it may be, individual voters are completely within their rights vote on such basis.

Indeed so, as things should be.

This should never even begin to suggest however that the collective whole is "correct".

How often do we witness, over and over again, that "the people" vote often and consistently against their own self-interests?

Individualistic "rights" are hardly in question here, for no one challenges that simple premise.

Can voters be ignorant and uniformed about their own interests and then vote accordingly?

You tell me...

s2a

I think it is notion that atheists lack moral ground among certain areas/groups. Guessing what people see as strange beliefs and generalized behavior of the group is the vote swaying factor...besides the very big one of vote for your own group.

I tend to agree, but ignorance is a poor proving ground for reality :)

Not accepting the legitimacy of claimed "gods" isn't really "strange", but it is discomfiting to most, if not all "believers".

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Well, apparently people do not think that much, or anything, about Agnostics, according to this poll.

How Americans Feel About Religious Groups | Pew Research Center's Religion & Public Life Project

Well, at least Atheists are now not THE most despised in America...

...woo-hoo!

Atheist party in 2250!

So you're hated even more than Mormons. Stop patting yourself on the back. We're not doing much better than you are! ;)
If they included Satanists and Luciferians, then we'd have a very concise winner of the most despised.

s2a

Well, apparently people do not think that much, or anything, about Agnostics, according to this poll
If they included Satanists and Luciferians, then we'd have a very concise winner of the most despised.

If it helps, noting that I have no rooting interest held within such groups, you were saying?

I note ther poor showing of adherents of the Grand Spaghetti Monster too...like that really matters.

But again allow skeptics (as a collective) to be, well, "unbelievers".

This position neither serves your views as superior to any Catholics, Jews, Muslims, or Buddhists vs. simple "unbelievers".

Hmmm, is that a good or bad idealism/vision to embrace?

The essence of "unbelief" remains solidified that any claims of supernatural interdiction or control s a mirage constructed of hopes that "any" "god" calls the shots.

A belief in some Lucifer and/or current adherents of "Satanism" seem upon a similar path of mutually assured destruction amongst any and all "believers".

From your view, for good or ill, mankind is doomed to self-destruction. Fine, and I ignore that conclusion predicated upon absolutely nothing.

OK?

I retain the informed and insightful hope that you are indeed both stupid and wrong.

Here's to an ancient unbeliever's view.. :)