• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Albanian Muslims saved Jews during the holocaust

Marble

Rolling Marble
When European Jewry began fleeing to Albania to escape the unfolding events in Western Europe in the early 1930s, there were approximately 200 Jews living in Albania. (Archaeological evidence documents the presence of Jews in Albanian lands since the epoch of Roman rule.) At the end of World War II, there were close to 2,000 Jews living in Albania—the only nation that can claim that every Jew within its borders was rescued from the Holocaust.
(bold by myself) Jewish Survival in Albania & the Ethics of

[youtube]y61RAP4joWU[/youtube]
Besa: Muslims Who Saved Jews in World War II - YouTube

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Thank you for posting this; it's nice to hear goodness sometimes. What do you want to debate though? :)

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
But Albania was under German rule for many years during those times, this is quite surprising, i never knew about this.

For example, Book 8, Chapter 18, of the Kanun, which deals with “social honor,” opens with the maxim that “the house of an Albanian belongs to God and to the guest.” It continues by stating that, “A weary guest must be received and surrounded with honor. The feet of a guest are washed.” “Every guest must be given the food eaten in the house.” And, upon the entering the house, the guest “must give you his weapon to hold as a sign of guardianship, since after you have said, ‘Welcome,’ he must have no fear and know that you are ready to defend him against any danger.” The Kanun “demands that a guest should be accompanied…lest he be the victim of some wicked act.” “If someone mocks your guest or abuses him, you must defend your guest’s honor, even if your own life is in danger.”

For that above, i don't know what this Kanun is. I've never heard it before, but the stuff which it says there is true. Thank you for sharing this Marble.

Marble

Rolling Marble
What do you want to debate though? :)
Nothing. I just did not know in which other forum to put this.
I came along this story by accident when I was just surfing on web and I thought by myself that this is remarkable and what courage those people had!
And I also thought when someone finds something negative with Muslims involved, (like this story know about the book that gives instructions on how to beat one's wife), then it it posted, so it is only fair that when you come along something good that involves Muslims, this should also be posted.
[Edit]Ooops, just realized General Discussion would perhaps be the proper sub-forum, would you move it dear Ssainhu? :eek:

Last edited:

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nothing. I just did not know in which other forum to put this.
I came along this story by accident when I was just surfing on web and I thought by myself that this is remarkable and what courage those people had!
And I also thought when someone finds something negative with Muslims involved, (like this story know about the book that gives instructions on how to beat one's wife), then it it posted, so it is only fair that when you come along something good that involves Muslims, this should also be posted.
[Edit]Ooops, just realized General Discussion would perhaps be the proper sub-forum, would you move it dear Ssainhu? :eek:

Sure I'll move it. :)

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
** Staff Advisory **

This thread has been moved to General Discussion per the OP's request

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Several decades later, Israel supplied plenty of aid in the humanitarian crisis the Muslims experienced during the war in what is now the former Yugoslavia, including to the Albanians.

atropine

Somewhere Out There
It's always amazing when people of one culture willingly help defend people of another culture. It's just heartwarming, and gives me hope. Thanks for sharing this.