• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How About National Referendums on Moral Issues in the USA?

joe1776

The morality on an issue should not vary from state to state. In the US. States Rights are flawed arguments by the minority on a moral issue. The majority vote on a national referendum issue would become the law of the entire nation for say a ten-year period. This would make it difficult for minority moral positions to block moral progress.

Average citizens should want the most intelligent people in the country making most policy decisions for them, but intelligence is not a factor in making moral decisions. When a bias doesn't send our decisions off course, we intuitively feel the right thing to do.

The minority losers on a referendum issue would know that they have ten years to change the minds of the voters and that legal challenges and protests would be useless.

Example:

Until a few centuries ago, the cultural bias known as "slavery" was condoned in nations all over the world. Then, around 1700, nations began to abolish it; but it wasn't until after a bloody civil war over 150 years later that the USA abolished legal slavery.

Now, suppose the founders of our nation had written a national referendum on moral issues clause into our Constitution in 1778. Slavery would been maintained for several years but each ten-year referendum would have shown growing support for abolition. Given that obvious evidence, it's unlikely that America would have needed a century and a half and a Civil War to make this moral advance.

Moral issues that would qualify for national referendums are: abortion, assisted suicide, homosexuality, mercy killings, executions

Last edited:

PureX

Veteran Member
How About National Referendums on Moral Issues in the USA?

To what end? Are we going to start proscribing morality by law?

Friend of Mara

Its a move more towards direct democracy when I can see as a positive. Though massive attempts to mislead the public with false information can skew a vote like that. Brexit is a great example.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Moral issues that would qualify for national referendums are: abortion, assisted suicide, homosexuality, mercy killings, executions

I don't agree Civil rights should be decided by the courts and law. Moral issues should be decided by the individual and not enforced by government.

joe1776

Its a move more towards direct democracy when I can see as a positive. Though massive attempts to mislead the public with false information can skew a vote like that. Brexit is a great example.
You are confusing Brexit, which is a decision made by the conscious reasoning mind, with the intuitive moral judgments which emerge from the unconscious mind. Brexit isn't a moral decision.

joe1776

I don't agree Civil rights should be decided by the courts and law. Moral issues should be decided by the individual and not enforced by government.
In a society, the acts of individual citizens affect others. Therefore, governments must establish moral policies that are acceptable and those which are not.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
The morality on an issue should not vary from state to state. In the US. States Rights are flawed arguments by the minority on a moral issue. The majority vote on a national referendum issue would become the law of the entire nation for say a ten-year period. This would make it difficult for minority moral positions to block moral progress.

Average citizens should want the most intelligent people in the country making most policy decisions for them, but intelligence is not a factor in making moral decisions. When a bias doesn't send our decisions off course, we intuitively feel the right thing to do.

The minority losers on a referendum issue would know that they have ten years to change the minds of the voters and that legal challenges and protests would be useless.

Example:

Until a few centuries ago, the cultural bias known as "slavery" was condoned in nations all over the world. Then, around 1700, nations began to abolish it; but it wasn't until after a bloody civil war over 150 years later that the USA abolished legal slavery.

Now, suppose the founders of our nation had written a national referendum on moral issues clause into our Constitution in 1778. Slavery would been maintained for several years but each ten-year referendum would have shown growing support for abolition. Given that obvious evidence, it's unlikely that America would have needed a century and a half and a Civil War to make this moral advance.

I don't like my morals decided by other people. Civil laws fine, so we can all sorta get along. Just don't want other folks deciding what is right and wrong for me.

MNoBody

In a society, the acts of individual citizens affect others. Therefore, governments must establish moral policies that are acceptable and those which are not.
right, which means there must be a victim with obvious harm caused...or else what foul?
Now consider the travesty of justice which the victimless crime "laws" [technically they are not 'laws' at all merely 'acts'] have caused, imposing misery and injustice since 1937 for one pertinent example.
so the system is obviously broken.

joe1776

I don't like my morals decided by other people. Civil laws fine, so we can all sorta get along. Just don't want other folks deciding what is right and wrong for me.
You are imagining restrictions on your behavior that are not threatened.

My suggested national referendums would merely override the laws that now govern your behavior that were made by state and federal legislatures.

joe1776

right, which means there must be a victim with obvious harm caused...or else what foul?
Now consider the travesty of justice which the victimless crime "laws" [technically they are not 'laws' at all merely 'acts'] have caused, imposing misery and injustice since 1937 for one pertinent example.
so the system is obviously broken.
Agreed. My suggested national referendums would likely solve those problems which exist mostly because of state laws passed by harshly judgemental state legislatures.

MNoBody

Agreed. My suggested national referendums would likely solve those problems which exist mostly because of state laws passed by harshly judgemental state legislatures.
an anecdote that comes to mind is the fiction of the country known allegedly as "canada", which by the rules of privy council has never been ratified by the people who were excluded from the salvage operation by third party impersonators who have seized the seats of power...same in the alleged "usa INC." situation.
fine kettle o fish ...eh

Heyo

Veteran Member

Example:

While morality should be a factor in law making, a law can never affect morality.
And there already is a method to introduce the peoples moral understanding into the laws. It's called making Amendments to the Constitution. A method especially created for that purpose and recommended by the founders.
It has come out of favour lately but there is currently one initiative for such an Amendment: wolf-pac.com.

joe1776

While morality should be a factor in law making, a law can never affect morality.
What do you mean by "It should never affect morality?" Let's use the abortion issue as an example. How would a law on abortion not affect morality?

And there already is a method to introduce the peoples moral understanding into the laws. It's called making Amendments to the Constitution. A method especially created for that purpose and recommended by the founders.

It has come out of favour lately but there is currently one initiative for such an Amendment: wolf-pac.com.
If amendments were allowed specifically for allowing for moral arguments, which I doubt, the device has been ineffective.

Heyo

Veteran Member
What do you mean by "It should never affect morality?" Let's use the abortion issue as an example. How would a law on abortion not affect morality?
Morality is personal, ethics is cultural and laws are functional. Laws can be unethical or immoral. Jim Crow laws certainly were.
If amendments were allowed specifically for allowing for moral arguments, which I doubt, the device has been ineffective.
Prohibition of cruel and unusual punishment (8th Amendment) is an example of an Amendment following a moral argument.

joe1776

Morality is personal, ethics is cultural and laws are functional. Laws can be unethical or immoral. Jim Crow laws certainly were.
Yes, and the laws prohibiting murder are both ethical and moral.

I still don't understand what you meant by "...a law can never affect morality."

Prohibition of cruel and unusual punishment (8th Amendment) is an example of an Amendment following a moral argument.
Yes, that's an example of an amendment relating to morality but most of the 27 amendments have nothing to do with morality so I doubt your assertion that amendments were allowed specifically to deal with moral issues.