• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How a life in silence change my thinking.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Life changed to so much better when speaking was muted ( for the most part)
I still speak when spoken to, or when ordering something, but for the most part i keep silent.
How has it affected me?

I am able to recognize so much more around me during a day, whereas before my mind was racing on everything i was worried about, living in the moment is so much more relaxed way of life :) but still there are more to learn, more to understand and more to experience in life :)

My relationship to religion have changed too, from being the one trying to teach everyone else, but now realizing i am still the one who learning. I am no more trying to teach others, but listen to them, and ask questions if i dont understand them.

Silence has thaught me to listen and shut up :p

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Now you've got the keeping quiet bit sorted take a walk in the forest and listen to the insects scuttling about, the birds singing, the trees growing.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I used to do a 'silent morning' with my classes (age 10 -12 or so) when I taught. We'd all be silent until noon, as a vow. I'd write instructions on the blackboard, and wander about helping without talking. Some sign language would develop, and the kids would have insights on it, about the difficulty, the challenges, the stuff they saw they didn't see before. Worked really well with some classes, not so much with others. My colleagues thought I was weird.

I could totally do a week long absolute silence vow again. Even now we (Boss and me) don't talk all that much. After 45 years, there ain't all that much to say.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I used to do a 'silent morning' with my classes (age 10 -12 or so) when I taught. We'd all be silent until noon, as a vow. I'd write instructions on the blackboard, and wander about helping without talking. Some sign language would develop, and the kids would have insights on it, about the difficulty, the challenges, the stuff they saw they didn't see before. Worked really well with some classes, not so much with others. My colleagues thought I was weird.

I could totally do a week long absolute silence vow again. Even now we (Boss and me) don't talk all that much. After 45 years, there ain't all that much to say.
In real life i will remain mostly silent, but sometimes speaking is needed, but only by good words :)

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I still speak when spoken to, or when ordering something, but for the most part i keep silent.
How has it affected me?

I am able to recognize so much more around me during a day, whereas before my mind was racing on everything i was worried about, living in the moment is so much more relaxed way of life :) but still there are more to learn, more to understand and more to experience in life :)

My relationship to religion have changed too, from being the one trying to teach everyone else, but now realizing i am still the one who learning. I am no more trying to teach others, but listen to them, and ask questions if i dont understand them.

I'm thinking of monks who take vows of silence. Not sure exactly the purpose in this. :shrug:

So is typing/social media cheating?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I'm thinking of monks who take vows of silence. Not sure exactly the purpose in this. :shrug:

So is typing/social media cheating?
Writing is a bit cheating yes :) a monk would not do any of them, but personally i found that a minimum of words, spoken or written is ok.
So i guess i am not under a fully silent vow.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
I'm excited for yah, man! :D

I feel like the end of this year is a time for growth in a lot of people. Seems like with all this time in lockdown, personal reflection has come to the forefront.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Yep, and as Confucius supposedly said: the more you, know the more you know you really don't know that much.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I'm excited for yah, man! :D

I feel like the end of this year is a time for growth in a lot of people. Seems like with all this time in lockdown, personal reflection has come to the forefront.
This years has been a rollercoster with up and down. But moving on my own and go deeper in spiritually ( not extreme) has made me find peace, much deeper peace then i did before.
And even i do write "I" the ego is gone

How has it affected me?

One of my online names that came to me was "The Artis Magistra" and one of the meanings I took from it was "Learning through Teaching" or "One passively learns by actively practicing the skill".

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
One of my online names that came to me was "The Artis Magistra" and one of the meanings I took from it was "Learning through Teaching" or "One passively learns by actively practicing the skill".
To have teacher skille is a gift :) to be able to teach what i "thought" i could, needed more skills than i have :) wisdom about the spiritual life is needed, and by practicing my form of "teaching " i realized i am no true teacher :)

So i had to learn to forget the "me" wanting and instead only focus on listening to those with more wisdom :)
Leaving the ego is the best that happend in the last few months. But explaining it from a view that was the "I" can sometimes help.

To have teacher skille is a gift :) to be able to teach what i "thought" i could, needed more skills than i have :) wisdom about the spiritual life is needed, and by practicing my form of "teaching " i realized i am no true teacher :)

So i had to learn to forget the "me" wanting and instead only focus on listening to those with more wisdom :)
Leaving the ego is the best that happend in the last few months. But explaining it from a view that was the "I" can sometimes help.

I also find that when I'm just doing my own thing without much input or interference, I'm naturally, or innately, a very joyful and happy person, and this natural joy or happiness seems to get disrupted bit by bit when I'm interacting with people who are saying or doing things that are secretly making me feel a little bad or worse or unhappy, and that tiny little drip and drop of sadness seems to build up, then I go away and no one is bothering me or on my head, and the world seems good again, or ok. Then someone walks by and I remember that there are people, and I have to deal with them in order to survive, but as much as I can avoid it, I feel a lot better probably overall or there is less risk I'll see or hear something which makes me feel bad or have to deal with something which makes me feel bad.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I also find that when I'm just doing my own thing without much input or interference, I'm naturally, or innately, a very joyful and happy person, and this natural joy or happiness seems to get disrupted bit by bit when I'm interacting with people who are saying or doing things that are secretly making me feel a little bad or worse or unhappy, and that tiny little drip and drop of sadness seems to build up, then I go away and no one is bothering me or on my head, and the world seems good again, or ok. Then someone walks by and I remember that there are people, and I have to deal with them in order to survive, but as much as I can avoid it, I feel a lot better probably overall or there is less risk I'll see or hear something which makes me feel bad or have to deal with something which makes me feel bad.
Being alone, or "outside of society" give us a chance to look at life from a new view, we can see what we do not like, and we can chose to take part in it, or stay outside in peace of mind.
The "risk" of staying outside is that when we are forced to interact with others we become afraid of them, so we again pull away in to seclution.

It is not egoistic to say its more important to focus on fixing my own problems first, then critique others, when i find the answers to what i did wrong my self then i will not need to make critiqueof others , by doing this it will become more easy to help others when we already known our own weakness

Riders

How has it affected me?

Monks live in silence and they live good lives. A life dedicated towards service that is. if i helps you meditate or pray then its a good thing.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Catholic Monks and Nuns also live in silence.
There are many forms of monks and nuns yes :)
A lifestyle similar to what i live now is far from a monkhood, or monastic, but it is a focus inward toward the spiritual and also a minimalistic home.

I can add a few photos of my current way of life in my home.

I added picture of my kitchen, livingroom and bedroom.
I must add that in my bedroom there is now one madrass to sleep on.
And in the livingroom it is now 1 chair and a table.

Attachments

• 20201113_105109.jpg
    20201113_105109.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20201113_105054.jpg
    20201113_105054.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20201113_105024.jpg
    20201113_105024.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 0

amorphous_constellation

I don't usually talk much myself sometimes, but I kinda envy good talkers, and to go along with that, people with good talking voices. I think if I could, I would express myself with speaking more. I feel like a lot of my ideas here could probably be turned into ok youtube talk style videos, but I'm just not the guy to be able to do that. Since I'm not very good at idea expression via talking , I guess that's left me with writing. And I struggle with that as well, but that seems to be what I'm halfway-ok at, at times.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I don't usually talk much myself sometimes, but I kinda envy good talkers, and to go along with that, people with good talking voices. I think if I could, I would express myself with speaking more. I feel like a lot of my ideas here could probably be turned into ok youtube talk style videos, but I'm just not the guy to be able to do that. Since I'm not very good at idea expression via talking , I guess that's left me with writing. And I struggle with that as well, but that seems to be what I'm halfway-ok at, at times.
Sometimes just jump in to it and trying can open new Doors to a new way of seeing one self :)

amorphous_constellation

Sometimes just jump in to it and trying can open new Doors to a new way of seeing one self :)

I dunno.. I could go try, but I know it would be a harsh learning curve.. like when I write out ideas in several paragraphs, I have to actually think a lot to do that.. It isn't spontaneous.. And I wouldn't want to have a script or anything. I would have a lot of silence between ideas.. and 'ums' and 'you knows' and all that.. ick