• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How 40,000 Tons of Cosmic Dust Falling to Earth Affects You and Me

mainliner

no one can de-borg my fact's ...NO-ONE!!
A bit weary ...... "MAY" ?

"""We have stardust in us as old as the universe—and some that MAY have landed on Earth just a hundred years ago.""

from the link :)

but it wouldn't surprise me if it said "HAS" :)

shawn001

Cosmic dust coming from space is also connect to rain.

The fact of us being created from star dust has to do with nucleosynthesis, which is needed to create Carbon and all the heavy metals.

mainliner

The fact of us being created from star dust has to do with nucleosynthesis, which is needed to create Carbon and all the heavy metals.
i don't know anything about carbon elements etc .... I shall read up :)

gnostic

The Lost One
i don't know anything about carbon elements etc .... I shall read up :)
You should read up on "stellar nucleosynthesis" (via thermonuclear fusion), if you want to know how stars make heavier events (including that of carbon) from the two lightest nuclei - the hydrogen nuclei and helium nuclei.

Our solar system (including our Sun) was created from the older generation of star that have gone supernova and mixed with the molecular cloud (cloud may out of mostly hydrogen gas (H2).

Our Sun is either 3rd or 4th generation star, known as "Population I", which has high metallicity (elements higher than hydrogen and helium elements). The first generation of stars "Population III" have no metals whatsoever.

mainliner

You should read up on "stellar nucleosynthesis" (via thermonuclear fusion), if you want to know how stars make heavier events (including that of carbon) from the two lightest nuclei - the hydrogen nuclei and helium nuclei.

Our solar system (including our Sun) was created from the older generation of star that have gone supernova and mixed with the molecular cloud (cloud may out of mostly hydrogen gas (H2).

Our Sun is either 3rd or 4th generation star, known as "Population I", which has high metallicity (elements higher than hydrogen and helium elements). The first generation of stars "Population III" have no metals whatsoever.
interesting stuff:)

q...is all the star dust , hydrogen etc etc made of molucules and atoms ?

gnostic

The Lost One
interesting stuff:)

q...is all the star dust , hydrogen etc etc made of molucules and atoms ?

I don't know how much of knowledge in chemistry that you have. So forgive me, if you already know this.

In basic chemistry, atom is the most basic unit for "matter". One atom has protons and neutrons inside the nucleus. Nucleus is like a shell, that contained protons and neutrons. A stable or neutral atom (atom with no positive or negative charge), will have the same amount of electrons as the protons. And these electrons move around or outside of the nucleus.

(Protons, neutrons and electrons can be all called "particles".)

Electrons has negative (electrical) charge, while protons have postive charge. Neutrons have no charge, but each neutron do have mass. An atom that has missing electron(s) is called ion.

There is exception, to the number of particles. The hydrogen atom, the lightest matter in the periodic table, don't have any neutron; a hydrogen atom has only one proton inside the nucleus, and one electron.

In other elements, other than hydrogen, the amount of neutrons in nucleus is equal to the number of protons. But when an atom is missing one or more neutron it is called an isotope.

Atom can lose an electron (or two or even three), which will make the atom "positive charged".

Molecule mean when two or more atoms are bound together, and that electrically neutral (no charges).

The oxygen air for instance, is two oxygen atoms bound together, and denote by the symbols O2 (the number "2" is usually little subscript "2"). The water molecule is H2O (little subscript 2), which is two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom.

I hoped this little explanation to atom and molecule.

In particle physics, the atom and particles become even more complex. For instance, a proton is made of even smaller particles, or subatomic particles, called "quarks", and there 6 types of quarks. I don't really care to explain quantum mechanic or particle physics or the Standard Model.

mainliner

I don't know how much of knowledge in chemistry that you have. So forgive me, if you already know this.

In basic chemistry, atom is the most basic unit for "matter". One atom has protons and neutrons inside the nucleus. Nucleus is like a shell, that contained protons and neutrons. A stable or neutral atom (atom with no positive or negative charge), will have the same amount of electrons as the protons. And these electrons move around or outside of the nucleus.

(Protons, neutrons and electrons can be all called "particles".)

Electrons has negative (electrical) charge, while protons have postive charge. Neutrons have no charge, but each neutron do have mass. An atom that has missing electron(s) is called ion.

There is exception, to the number of particles. The hydrogen atom, the lightest matter in the periodic table, don't have any neutron; a hydrogen atom has only one proton inside the nucleus, and one electron.

In other elements, other than hydrogen, the amount of neutrons in nucleus is equal to the number of protons. But when an atom is missing one or more neutron it is called an isotope.

Atom can lose an electron (or two or even three), which will make the atom "positive charged".

Molecule mean when two or more atoms are bound together, and that electrically neutral (no charges).

The oxygen air for instance, is two oxygen atoms bound together, and denote by the symbols O2 (the number "2" is usually little subscript "2"). The water molecule is H2O (little subscript 2), which is two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom.

I hoped this little explanation to atom and molecule.

In particle physics, the atom and particles become even more complex. For instance, a proton is made of even smaller particles, or subatomic particles, called "quarks", and there 6 types of quarks. I don't really care to explain quantum mechanic or particle physics or the Standard Model.
so were all made up of " quarks" ? ... Or whatever is inside them ?

mainliner

"nucleosynthesis" ... IM going to look into this :)

shawn001

"
The Star In You
  • "Our planet, our society, and we ourselves are built of star stuff."—Carl Sagan, Cosmos

"Here's an amazing fact for your next cocktail party: Every single atom in your body—the calcium in your bones, the carbon in your genes, the iron in your blood, the gold in your filling—was created in a star billions of years ago. All except atoms of hydrogen and one or two of the next lightest elements. They were formed even earlier, shortly after the Big Bang began 13.7 billion years ago.

As hard as it might be to believe, every atom in your body, astrophysicists say, originated billions of years ago in a star or in the explosive aftermath of the Big Bang. Here, a close-up of Polaris, the North Star. EnlargePhoto credit: NASA, ESA, G. Bacon (STScI)

It's true, according to astrophysicists. You and everything around you, every single natural and man-made thing you can see, every rock, tree, butterfly, and building, comprises atoms that originally arose during the Big Bang or, for all but the lightest two or three elements, from millions of burning and exploding stars far back in the history of the universe. You live because stars died; it's that simple.

How is this so? How can you possibly be a walking galaxy of fossil stardust? Well, the story is not a new one, but it bears retelling, if only because its working out was one of the finest achievements of 20th-century astrophysics—and because it's so astonishing."

NOVA | The Star In You

shawn001

This is another reason as well we know, the universe, the galaxy, the solar system, earth and life Evolved.

mainliner

What are the quarks made of ?
if hydron is made of atoms and atoms are made of other stuff like quarks ..... What are the quarks made of ?

mainliner

"
The Star In You
  • "Our planet, our society, and we ourselves are built of star stuff."—Carl Sagan, Cosmos

"Here's an amazing fact for your next cocktail party: Every single atom in your body—the calcium in your bones, the carbon in your genes, the iron in your blood, the gold in your filling—was created in a star billions of years ago. All except atoms of hydrogen and one or two of the next lightest elements. They were formed even earlier, shortly after the Big Bang began 13.7 billion years ago.

As hard as it might be to believe, every atom in your body, astrophysicists say, originated billions of years ago in a star or in the explosive aftermath of the Big Bang. Here, a close-up of Polaris, the North Star. EnlargePhoto credit: NASA, ESA, G. Bacon (STScI)

It's true, according to astrophysicists. You and everything around you, every single natural and man-made thing you can see, every rock, tree, butterfly, and building, comprises atoms that originally arose during the Big Bang or, for all but the lightest two or three elements, from millions of burning and exploding stars far back in the history of the universe. You live because stars died; it's that simple.

How is this so? How can you possibly be a walking galaxy of fossil stardust? Well, the story is not a new one, but it bears retelling, if only because its working out was one of the finest achievements of 20th-century astrophysics—and because it's so astonishing."

NOVA | The Star In You
is this how god created us ..... I find it diffecult that space dust landed on earth .... Or " may " have ( as the op article says) and formed somehow into us ??? It doesn't make sense . Imo

maybe im wrong

shawn001

is this how god created us ..... I find it diffecult that space dust landed on earth .... Or " may " have ( as the op article says) and formed somehow into us ??? It doesn't make sense . Imo

maybe im wrong

Yes, you have it wrong.

Cosmic dust falls to Earth all the time. The Early Earth was bombarded by asteroids and we would look like the moon with all its craters, if we didn't have plate tectonics and an atmophere and erosion on our planet.

Different then the elements formed in nucleosynthesis of BIG stars that created the material to form the solar system and life. Life is based on carbon, carbon comes from stellar nucleosynthesis.

The oxygen element you breath even came from the stars. It ALL did.

One of the first forms of life on Earth and in the fossil record going back to 3+ billion yearts evolved photosynthesis and changed our atmosphere into waht we are breathing today. Thank cynobacteria evolution for the breaths you take and the reason your not breathing natural gas.

shawn001

Speaking of the moon, it formed by a massive collision with a planet the size of mars hitting the early Earth.

shawn001

What are the quarks made of ?
if hydron is made of atoms and atoms are made of other stuff like quarks ..... What are the quarks made of ?

"Quarks are one type of matter particle. Most of the matter we see around us is made from protons and neutrons, which are composed of quarks.

There are six quarks, but physicists usually talk about them in terms of three pairs: up/down, charm/strange, and top/bottom.(Also, for each of these quarks, there is a corresponding antiquark.) Be glad that quarks have such silly names -- it makes them easier to remember!

Quarks have the unusual characteristic of having afractional electric charge, unlike the proton and electron, which have integer charges of +1 and -1 respectively. Quarks also carry another type of charge called color charge, which we will discuss later.

The most elusive quark, the top quark, was discovered in 1995 after its existence had been theorized for 20 years."

The Particle Adventure | What is the world made of? | Quarks