• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hotel California Redoux - Another 1979-like Right Wing Shift?

jbg

As the Eagles said, we haven’t had the spirit here since 1979, when the U.S. lurched from the liberalism of the New Deal and Kennedy eras, to Jimmy Carter, towards Ronald Reagan's landslide election. Several storm flags are flying:
  1. In synagogue tonight, my Rabbi, generally a woke liberal, was unbelievably firm on the issue of Hamas and Gaza. He said that saying “it’s complicated“ or “is relative“ is not OK;
  2. The popularity of two right wing country songs: Don’t Try That in a Small Town, by Jason Aldean, and Rich Men North of Richmond by Oliver Anthony;
  3. The recall of a San Fransisco DA, and of a Board of Education member
During the late 1970's and recently there were similar parallel events:
  1. Watergate, the 1973 War and fear of the power of Arab Oil fueled a lurch to the left, and did the 2020 murder of George Floyd;
  2. Right-wing country music surged in popularity in 1979/80-81 with Urban Cowboy and the sudden success of WHN in the ultra-liberal NYC market;
  3. Charlie Daniels' rightward shift with "In America is similar to the aforementioned Don't Try That in a Small Town and Rich Men North of Richmond is strikingly similar to the 1979-80 country music surge.
I believe that we are at a divide in a good way similar to what happened after November 1979 with the disgust at Carter's weakness in handling the hostage crisis. Joe Biden is an even more addled version.
I suspect that the overall disgust with Biden, and the woke is penetrating. People don't like our country apologizing for itself. They like living large, and not the forced shift to glorified golf carts. This could be big.

F1fan

Veteran Member
You mean, "We haven't had that spirit here since 1969"? :p
Facts aren't important to the far right. How else could their disinformation work?
As the Eagles said, we haven’t had the spirit here since 1979, when the U.S. lurched from the liberalism of the New Deal and Kennedy eras, to Jimmy Carter, towards Ronald Reagan's landslide election. Several storm flags are flying:
  1. In synagogue tonight, my Rabbi, generally a woke liberal, was unbelievably firm on the issue of Hamas and Gaza. He said that saying “it’s complicated“ or “is relative“ is not OK;
  2. The popularity of two right wing country songs: Don’t Try That in a Small Town, by Jason Aldean, and Rich Men North of Richmond by Oliver Anthony;
  3. The recall of a San Fransisco DA, and of a Board of Education member
During the late 1970's and recently there were similar parallel events:
  1. Watergate, the 1973 War and fear of the power of Arab Oil fueled a lurch to the left, and did the 2020 murder of George Floyd;
  2. Right-wing country music surged in popularity in 1979/80-81 with Urban Cowboy and the sudden success of WHN in the ultra-liberal NYC market;
  3. Charlie Daniels' rightward shift with "In America is similar to the aforementioned Don't Try That in a Small Town and Rich Men North of Richmond is strikingly similar to the 1979-80 country music surge.
I believe that we are at a divide in a good way similar to what happened after November 1979 with the disgust at Carter's weakness in handling the hostage crisis. Joe Biden is an even more addled version.
I suspect that the overall disgust with Biden, and the woke is penetrating. People don't like our country apologizing for itself. They like living large, and not the forced shift to glorified golf carts. This could be big.
Hahaha, the republicans can't even agree to select a speaker. And Trump is likely the nominee, far from being a Reagan.

And you pretty much exposed your far right wing extremist bias when you wrote "woke liberal". Not exactly hiding your bias so you can at least look like you're being objective.

jbg

You mean, "We haven't had that spirit here since 1969"? :p
I am well aware that the album of that title came out in very late 1976 or January 1977. The first hit single on it was the almost-forgotten New Kid in Town, which I think celebrated Carter's accession to the White House. I was at the DNC in 1976 on a press pass, not as a delegate. I was very enthusiastic for him.
Facts aren't important to the far right. How else could their disinformation work?

Hahaha, the republicans can't even agree to select a speaker. And Trump is likely the nominee, far from being a Reagan.

And you pretty much exposed your far right wing extremist bias when you wrote "woke liberal". Not exactly hiding your bias so you can at least look like you're being objective.
Wrong. If Biden had governed like Clinton and not run a total shot-show I would not have posted that.

F1fan

Veteran Member
How is what I said wrong? We observe republicans unable to chew gun and vote for a speaker.
If Biden had governed like Clinton and not run a total shot-show I would not have posted that.
1. This isn't the 90's. The USA and world has a whol other set of issues to deal with. 2. You offer no explanation of what was good about Clinton that Biden isn't doing. 3. The republicans of the 90's were still working with democrats, even though this was the time of Gingrich who was the guy who first started advocating for not cooperating with democrats, and t's only gotten worse.

So if you ar going to start a thread with claims, where is your evidence and arguments? I see conservatives more and more lazy in these discussions where they make simple statements and fail to offer vidence and reasons for that statement. You have made complicated claims and haven't bothred to explain how you are correct, so what's the point?

Onasander

How is what I said wrong? We observe republicans unable to chew gun and vote for a speaker.

1. This isn't the 90's. The USA and world has a whol other set of issues to deal with. 2. You offer no explanation of what was good about Clinton that Biden isn't doing. 3. The republicans of the 90's were still working with democrats, even though this was the time of Gingrich who was the guy who first started advocating for not cooperating with democrats, and t's only gotten worse.

So if you ar going to start a thread with claims, where is your evidence and arguments? I see conservatives more and more lazy in these discussions where they make simple statements and fail to offer vidence and reasons for that statement. You have made complicated claims and haven't bothred to explain how you are correct, so what's the point?
Keep it up, I'm sure you're winning jbg's vote with all this.