• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hostility towards Christianity

Nick Soapdish

Secret Agent
I had a roommate in college from a brief time who was from Saudi Arabia. He tried to teach me about Islam and the Koran, but at the time I was agnostic and had no real interest. We didn't know each other very well but I was flattered that he took interest in my spirituality, and I knew that according to his beliefs, he was trying to save me.

I have since wondered why there is often a negative reaction towards Christian evangelism. If I tell an acquantance that I hope they will find their way to Jesus, it is likely that I have offended them.

Often, there is a hostile reaction towards any Christian activity. A friend of mine was once driving by a cross that was displayed up on a hill and she remarked, "why do these people try to shove their religion in my face!" In a way it seems strange to me considering the essentials of Christianity are centered on love and forgiveness.

I certainly know that not all non-Christians have this attitude (far from it), but there certainly seems to be an anti-Christian climate out there. I have some guesses as to why it is, but I figured people around here may have better insight into it than I do.

So, why is there so much hostility towards Christian-based religions, and how is it different from how people react to other religions?

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Well, from what I've seen in America there is more hostility to Christians by non-Christians simply because that's the group that's hounding them to save their soul. If it were Muslims, I think people'd have the same reaction.

linwood

Abstinence only school curriculum.
Government funded faith based initiatives.
Christianitys opposition to civil rights.
Hopes father forbiding Hopes sister to have any say as to how to live her own life.
My neighbor telling my wife how thankful to God he was that we bought our home instead of a herd of ******s.
Jerry falwell
Pat Robertson
Jerry Falwell again
Focus on the Family
The hypocrisy of the common thoughtless Christian.
Evangelical prefered ignorance of the world around them
The justification of everything from rape to genocide in the name of the Christian God.
Andy I could literally take this list back to the implications of the slaughter of the Midianites while exceeding the word limit on a single post countless times.
People are hostile to Christianity because they give what they get.
Christians for the most part are so far from following Jesus`s example the hypocrisy is enough to make one wet themselves with laughter.

How many Atheists or Buddhists are hanging out in the malls handing out their version of chick tracts?

Whens the last time a Pagan knocked on your door to politely tell you you are destined to burn in hell?
Whens the last time a Wiccan lobby demanded the president give it`s Biblical agenda carte blanche due to their support of him?

I`ve got to stop, I`ll wear out my keyboard.
:)

linwood

NetDoc said:
If only non-Christians would use the definitions for Christianity found in the Bible.
I believe I did.

"Christians for the most part are so far from following Jesus`s example the hypocrisy is enough to make one wet themselves with laughter."

Who am I to tell someone they aren`t what they believe they are?

If I wanted to judge who was a "true" Christian and who wasn`t then I`d be left with roughly 10% of those who claim to be.

The excercise would be ridiculous.
Not to mention it is pretty arrogant of you to assert you are a "true" Christain while denying the faith of the other 95% of Christianity.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
That doesn't change that these people call themselves Christians and nuts like Falwell say they're being good Christians by doing what they do, NetDoc.

No*s

Captain Obvious
atofel said:
I had a roommate in college from a brief time who was from Saudi Arabia. He tried to teach me about Islam and the Koran, but at the time I was agnostic and had no real interest. We didn't know each other very well but I was flattered that he took interest in my spirituality, and I knew that according to his beliefs, he was trying to save me.

I have since wondered why there is often a negative reaction towards Christian evangelism. If I tell an acquantance that I hope they will find their way to Jesus, it is likely that I have offended them.

Often, there is a hostile reaction towards any Christian activity. A friend of mine was once driving by a cross that was displayed up on a hill and she remarked, "why do these people try to shove their religion in my face!" In a way it seems strange to me considering the essentials of Christianity are centered on love and forgiveness.

I certainly know that not all non-Christians have this attitude (far from it), but there certainly seems to be an anti-Christian climate out there. I have some guesses as to why it is, but I figured people around here may have better insight into it than I do.

So, why is there so much hostility towards Christian-based religions, and how is it different from how people react to other religions?

Isn't that what you would expect? It's the dominant religion in the West, and well, people feel threatened by the big dog, and the big dog also tends to make its presence known. Christianity is in that position, and it is that which is most proactive in persuading people. As such, people get the most disgruntled with it.

That's pretty much to be expected.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Sorry linwood, but I think your %10 estimate is way out of line. You are far too generous.

BTW, did you ever notice that Jesus was only abusive towards religious bigots? Maybe we chould denounce them just as he would?

Melody

atofel said:
2 Timothy 3:12
In fact, everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted

I think it may be because Christian religions "evangelize" in some form or another. You'll usually find some type of missionary movement within all the denominations. Do any of the other religions have this as a tenet of their faith. It's sort of an "in your face" type of religion. Personally, and I've said this in other threads, if the evangelizing pushes someone away from God, then I just don't see how it is a positive concept.

Reactions: Pah

Scuba Pete

Melody,

Not all hostility is based on anger for being exposed.

I Peter 2:19. For it is commendable if a man bears up under the pain of unjust suffering because he is conscious of God. 20 But how is it to your credit if you receive a beating for doing wrong and endure it? But if you suffer for doing good and you endure it, this is commendable before God. 21 To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps.

There are a lot of people with legitimate complaints.

Prima

I think that it's due solely to proselytizing and resentment. While spreading your religion is all well and good, it, like other things, goes completely crazy in the U.S. Jerry Falwell has been a recurring theme here - and I agree. People who shove their religion in others' faces are distasteful at best.

There is also a lot of resentment. Unfortunately, if one person does something bad in the name of their religion, it reflects badly on all of that religion. I could name a hundred things - Crusades, modern Middle Eastern violence, fanatical and cruel sects...etc.

Melody

NetDoc said:
Melody,

Not all hostility is based on anger for being exposed.

I Peter 2:19. For it is commendable if a man bears up under the pain of unjust suffering because he is conscious of God. 20 But how is it to your credit if you receive a beating for doing wrong and endure it? But if you suffer for doing good and you endure it, this is commendable before God. 21 To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps.

There are a lot of people with legitimate complaints.
Sorry...you lost me here. It may just be due to the fact that I've been housebound today due to the weather but I'm not understanding.

Scuba Pete

I would cheer Falwell on If he was only guilty of over zealous evangelism. However, his acute lack of LOVE and compassion make me suspect that his evangelism is little more than a front for grabbing as much power and money as he can get.

Scuba Pete

Melody...

Evangelism from true Christians is odious enough to non-Christians. People see those with concrete beliefs that do not include them going to heaven as judgemental and they resent it.

However, using evangelism for OTHER purposes whether they be political, financial or social is a GROSS misappropriation of God's Grace. We have no business pursuing our own agenda and possibly stopping some from becoming Christians due to our meddling.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
NetDoc said:
Sorry linwood, but I think your %10 estimate is way out of line. You are far too generous.

BTW, did you ever notice that Jesus was only abusive towards religious bigots? Maybe we chould denounce them just as he would?
I've apparently given too many frubals to ND to give him some for this post, but that doesn't mean I can't think frubals at him.

I feel bad for all the people who are actually doing what Jesus said and not being bigoted jerks. Horror of horrors, I used to be a telemarketer, and people expected me to be rude, obnoxious and lying because that was all they'd experienced in the past from said group. Every so often, the person would listen to me long enough to figure out that I wasn't one of those people, and I was saddened that their experience had been so negative.

I think that's what Christianity is going through right now. They've had some people sully their reputation, and it's taking people like the wonderful ones we have here on the forums to show that, yes, they're just as outraged at the behavior of bigots as the rest of the population.

And I'm sorry, Linwood, but that Wiccan lobbying will be happening as soon as I'm in office. Instead of Big Tobacco, I'll have my support from Big Holly. My faith based initiatives will include more funding for Happy Heathen Pagan Dancing within schools. But I think it's going too far to post my beliefs on state property. I'll just tattoo the Wiccan Rede on my forehead, and ask the cameraperson to zoom in on that, exclusively, during my State of the Union addresses.

atofel said:
That's pretty much how I feel about the Christians I've met on the street who try to "save" me. I personally do not understand much of the anti-Christian sentiment coming from non-Christians in our culture...I don't feel threatened at all by crosses on necklaces, or crosses flanking the highways, or friends who are missionaries. (In fact, a girl at a dining hall invited me to sit with her when there were no other seats left, and it turned out she was going to do missionary work in India and we had a very nice discussion.) Christianity is a big part of our culture and our history, and I don't think Christians should be asked to be quiet about their faith just because their being Christian offends me. The only thing I ask in return is that I don't have to be quiet about my atheism. Freedom of speech/religious expression is a good thing. :)

As far as why there is some anti-Christain sentiment in our country...I pretty much agree with No*s. Christianity is the top dog, so of course those in the minority will sometimes feel threatened by it (whether or not there is good reason to feel that way).

linwood said:
Christians for the most part are so far from following Jesus`s example the hypocrisy is enough to make one wet themselves with laughter.
In all fairness, linwood, how many Christians claim to be close to following Jesus' example?

BUDDY

User of Aspercreme
I have talked alot of atheists and agnostics, and pretty much all of them site past incidents in the name of christianity as a reason they hate christianity now. I would be the first one to admit that a lot of horrible things, that I do not agree with, have happened over the centuries in the name of christianity. I don't think that is a reasonable reason now to hate the message that christianity brings, or chritians themselves. But if you don't want to hear about it, fine, I won't talk about it. That's my motto.

What would you say if I told you, that Jeffrey Dahmer was a Democrat, therefore I hate all Democrats? Pretty unreasonable, isn' it?

Melody

NetDoc said:
Melody...

Evangelism from true Christians is odious enough to non-Christians. People see those with concrete beliefs that do not include them going to heaven as judgemental and they resent it.

However, using evangelism for OTHER purposes whether they be political, financial or social is a GROSS misappropriation of God's Grace. We have no business pursuing our own agenda and possibly stopping some from becoming Christians due to our meddling.

I agree. I think that was what I was trying to say previously. Ok....that's it....I'm going to go veg with some trash reality tv....The Amazing Race. That seems to be all my brain is good for this evening.