• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Horror stories...

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
I ruined a banana bread recipe by adding a cup full of both baking powder and baking soda (I think).:banghead3 I didn't have the recipe on paper...I winged it. I was trying to duplicate my Grandmother's.

Anyway...literally...the batter rose and kept rising. No exaggeration...there was banana bread mixture seeping out of the sides of the stove.

It was very comical and was the worst mess I've ever cleaned up in the kitchen...ever.

Bishka

Veteran Member
In high school, I decided I wanted to help my mum cook (never again). I decided I wanted an all Chinese meal, although I didn't know how to cook very well, if at all.
The noodles were rubbery, the spring rolls looked like turds(and tasted), it was pretty bad.

evearael

I tried to make enchillatas once in high school. I put the oil in the pan, turned it on high, and went back to making final preparations. The first tortilla was great, the second turned pitch black and the whole thing went up in flames. My sister Chelsea was behind me and just started screaming, while I calmly looked for the fire extinguisher. My dad burst in, grabbed the pan and threw it onto the deck which immeadiately caught fire.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
There was also the spaghetti incident.

I was making spaghetti but gasp!...realized I didn't have any sauce. Not being able to drive at the time (still in school)...I grabbed a jar of Chicken Tonight...which I don't think they even make anymore...it was marinara with all kinds of funky vegetables.

My friend and I sat and plucked every single veggie out. We passed the whole mess off as spaghetti. :)

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
evearael said:
I tried to make enchillatas once in high school. I put the oil in the pan, turned it on high, and went back to making final preparations. The first tortilla was great, the second turned pitch black and the whole thing went up in flames. My sister Chelsea was behind me and just started screaming, while I calmly looked for the fire extinguisher. My dad burst in, grabbed the pan and threw it onto the deck which immeadiately caught fire.

:biglaugh: That's classic! Your deck caught fire!

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
once i decided to make a cake (as i usually do when i'm bored, or when stina's over) and i got out two eggs.... cracked the first one in the bowl, cracked the second one in the bowl... and there was blood in it :sad4: ... i havent made a cake since

Thanksgiving, Grandma taught me how to make a turkey.... *gulp* She was washing him, (we named him George this year) and the pulled out the bag of "goodies" and handed me the neck. :eek: .... i refused to touch it... i almost cried....

....good thanksgiving, however....

evearael

Then there was the time I set pasta I was boiling on fire. My husband said, "How the ---- did you set it on fire? THERE WAS WATER IN IT?"

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
evearael said:
Then there was the time I set pasta I was boiling on fire. My husband said, "How the ---- did you set it on fire? THERE WAS WATER IN IT?"

I could mange that as well.

Just speaking for myself here, I'm culinary challenged.

evearael

Oooo! Then there was my second attempts at enchillatas. I tried to make some riccotta stuffed crepes, I hand made the crepes and everything. I ran out of tomato sauce, so I just thought, "Well... there's cheese, and it's kinda like a tortilla..." Then I poured enchillata sauce over the remaining crepes. I will never live that down, ever.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
evearael said:
My dad burst in, grabbed the pan and threw it onto the deck which immeadiately caught fire.

Sorry...but this gave me the hardest laugh of the day....:biglaugh:

I'll have to think of this one for a bit cuz the only disaster I can think of is the first time I cooked a turkey I left all the giblets and neck inside..I didnt' want to put my hand IN THERE! ewwww.

standing_alone

evearael said:
What was your absolute worst mistake in the kitchen?

Mine has nothing to do with cooking (we don't do that kind of stuff at my house), but this is definately a mistake and here's why:

A few years ago, my cousin and I were at my house when my mother asked me to put some soda into the fridge. Since I was in a hurry for some reason or another, I was putting them in about four or five at a time (I know, stupid thing to do). Well, of course I eventually dropped one and of course it had to spray all over the kitchen. Now, my mother is a cleaning freak. When she saw what happened, she screamed at me, "I JUST CLEANED THE WHOLE F****** KITCHEN!" My cousin ran upstairs in fear of my mother's wrath and she proceeded to yell at me some more. I never made that mistake again. :D My cousin and I still laugh about this and use the "I just cleaned the whole f****** kitchen" line in general conversation. We're morons like that. :D