• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Horoscopes

finalfrogo

Have you had any experiences in horoscopes? If so, has your life unfolded as the horoscope predicted? Is astrology valid to some degree, or is it completely fake? When I'm in a bookstore, I usually pick up a horoscope book to see if it correlates to the last few days. Usually, it actually does. Perhaps it's so general that it only creates the illusion of validity.

evearael

I had a creepy moment with a book that uses both Western and Easter astrology together, but other than that it is rubbish that is vague enough to apply to a wide variety of people. There is also the aspect of self-fulfilling prophesies. I have no issues with someone consulting their horoscope or even having one professionally done if they find it empowering... but to live your life by them seems a bit misguided.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
I'm not sure. The 'character descriptions' that I fall into certainly seem to describe me, but I don't really follow the day-to-day ones.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
While in college, my roomate came home one day with a Tarot deck and a book on how to interpret it. For fun, he read my Tarot according to the book. I was completely struck with how strongly I wanted to see myself in what he read. For instance: When he said something alone the lines of, "you have had a dark relationship at some time in your past", my mind immediately thought of a certain someone, the fact she had dark hair, and the fact the relationship sucked. But more than just my mind thinking of these things, there seemed to be some emotional desire to think the Tarot was revealing. And, even moreso, all this astonished me because I knew I didn't believe in such things as the Tarot, but was feeling and thinking all this stuff nonetheless.

That experience deeply impressed me with how easy it is to see myself in a Tarot reading.

Naturally, it wasn't long before I happily conceived of a devious and immoral way to exploit this intriguing fact. I bought my own Tarot and book, read the book, and took the deck to the bars with me, dragging my roomate with me.

In the bars, I would sit my suffering roomate down, lay out the colorful cards, and pretend to be reading his Tarot. It often wasn't long before some people became interested in what we were up to. I would then offer to read the Tarot of the women. It turned out to be a great way to meet people!

Nowadays, I think the Tarot is used by some people as a help in contemplating their life, in thinking creatively about their situations, and perhaps even in getting in touch with their unconscious minds.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
*nods* I agree. I think the power in both the horoscopes and the Tarot lies in being able to help people struggling to understand what they already know.

Booko

Deviled Hen
finalfrogo said:
Have you had any experiences in horoscopes? If so, has your life unfolded as the horoscope predicted? Is astrology valid to some degree, or is it completely fake? When I'm in a bookstore, I usually pick up a horoscope book to see if it correlates to the last few days. Usually, it actually does. Perhaps it's so general that it only creates the illusion of validity.

[SIZE=+1]Traditional
Aquarian Traits
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Friendly and humanitarian
Honest and loyal
Original and inventive
Independent and intellectual
[/SIZE]
On the dark side....

[SIZE=-1]Intractable and contrary
Perverse and unpredictable
Unemotional and detached
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]
Yeah, that fits pretty well.

My daughter's a Pisces. Hers fits.
My husband is an Aries. It couldn't be more *opposite* except for the quick-witted part.
My son is Taurus. Well, no it mostly doesn't fit him either.

Maybe astrology only works for girls. :kat:

For casting horoscopes, I'm told that unless I know my time of birth (which I don't) it isn't accurate.

I do remember reading a 40-page horoscope a friend showed me once. He thought it was pretty accurate. I asked for a copy.

I then marked it up, indicating all the contradictory statements in those 40 pages. The statements mostly canceled each other out. I hope he didn't pay much for that horoscope. :)

evearael

Let's see... here are some I've found for a scorpio for today:
t.gif

http://horoscopes.astrology.com/dailyscorpio.html
You leapfrog into a prestigious new position, but an old friend may have hurt feelings -- or territorial ones. You weren't poaching their property, but they may not see it that way. Let them work it out for themselves.

http://www.webscopes.com/horoscopes/dailyscorpio.php
Learning what really counts is an important lesson that may be learned the hard way. A friend may know of someone who would be the perfect match for you. You may look desperate, but try asking around to see who is available. Keep your eyes and ears open for new and exciting opportunities.Romance: Good | Finance: Fair | Charisma: Good
Lucky Numbers: 18, 23, 27, 29

http://www.freewillastrology.com/horoscopes/scorpio.html
I have a rabid appreciation for your efforts to make this world a steamier, wilder, more lyrical labyrinth. Thank you for all the entertaining mysteries you conjure so regularly. You are a true Puzzle Master, both in the sense that you create beautiful enigmas and that you solve seemingly impossible riddles. Having said that, though, I want to beg you to ease up on the drama for a while. Now and then there come times when you get so heavy and thick with obsessive longing and complicated emotions that you're in danger of imploding. This is such a moment. So lighten up, please. Consider indulging in the pleasures of harmless fun and frivolous diversions for a few days.

Booko

Deviled Hen
evearael said:
Let's see... here are some I've found for a scorpio for today:

Oh, the usual daily stuff doesn't impress me much. Most of the time it's more good advice than prediction. I've seen better in fortune cookies.

Booko

Deviled Hen
:tuna:
FeathersinHair said:
That looks like an interesting one, Booko! Did you get it from a site? (I'd like to look up Goat/ Libra!)

With great intellectual fervor and hours of research, :biglaugh: I simply Googled : Aquarius characteristics.

Here's Libra:

http://www.astrology-online.com/libra.htm

[SIZE=+1]Traditional
Libra Traits
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Diplomaitic and urbane
Romantic and charming
Easygoing and sociable
Idealistic and peaceable
[/SIZE]

On the dark side....

[SIZE=-1]Indecisive and changeable
Gullible and easily infuenced
Flirtatious and self-indulgent
[/SIZE]

turk179

I smell something....
I am not that big on the daily horoscopes. They are usually too general and could apply to so many situations. To truly be able to work things out in the daily fashion, the person giving you your daily horoscope would need to know the location and time of your birth plus some other factors. A lot of times the sign you are born under is not the biggest contributing factor or the most dominant sign for your personal reading.

finalfrogo

Sunstone said:
While in college, my roomate came home one day with a Tarot deck and a book on how to interpret it. For fun, he read my Tarot according to the book. I was completely struck with how strongly I wanted to see myself in what he read. For instance: When he said something alone the lines of, "you have had a dark relationship at some time in your past", my mind immediately thought of a certain someone, the fact she had dark hair, and the fact the relationship sucked. But more than just my mind thinking of these things, there seemed to be some emotional desire to think the Tarot was revealing. And, even moreso, all this astonished me because I knew I didn't believe in such things as the Tarot, but was feeling and thinking all this stuff nonetheless.

Yes, it's not only that most readings are vague and general; the illusion of genuinity is additionally enhanced when people want their readings to be accurate, a common occurance. Who doesn't want to be shocked and dazzled? :eek:

Sunstone said:
Nowadays, I think the Tarot is used by some people as a help in contemplating their life, in thinking creatively about their situations, and perhaps even in getting in touch with their unconscious minds.

That's true. Even if such practices are fake, they still have good, applicable features. Horoscopes often include advice, which anyone can use to improve his or her life. Ultimately, such practices are beneficial, although they may not necessarily be truthful.

c0da

"Todays horoscope...

Today, you will meet somebody and they will be a girl, possibly a boy.

You know somebody called dave. Dave drives a car."

Well, they are usually that vague anyway.