• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Horn of Africa Drought...They Need Our Help

Sahar

Muslims around the world mark sundown during the holy month of Ramadan with extravagant dinners to break their daily fasts. That kind of nighttime celebration is unthinkable this year for most Somalis, who already are suffering empty stomachs during the worst famine in a generation. Tens of thousands of Somalis already have fled starvation to the world's largest refugee camp in neighboring Kenya, where Mohamed Mohamud Abdulle said people can't fast without food "to console the soul" at sundown.

"Today is the worst day I ever faced. All my family are hungry and I have nothing to feed them," Abdulle said on Monday, the first day of the Muslim holy month. "I feel the hunger that forced me from my home has doubled here."

Somalis fleeing famine say they simply don't have enough food to prepare a traditional feast to end a day of fasting. Refugees say they have been unintentionally fasting for weeks or months, but without the end-of-day meal to regain their strength.
"I cannot fast because I cannot get food to break it and eat before the morning," said Nur Ahmed, a father of six at a camp for internally displaced people in Mogadishu called Badbado. Ahmed's wife died last year during childbirth, he said.
Somali refugees: No food to break Ramadan fast

:(

They need our help. Horn of Africa famine: How to help

Last edited:

EiNsTeiN

Boo-h!
My heart is breaking.

Thanks a lot for the thread, I've been trying for a while to spread the word.

I believe we should work on some sort of a campaign in RF to raise fund for Somalia.

While the world is enjoying the luxury of debating politics and ideologies, there are people out there who lack the basics.

Sahar

[youtube]blkBKARF9r4[/youtube]
Somalia Drought 2011 (Children) - YouTube

United Nations and international aid agencies say the crisis is overwhelming their ability to provide assistance to the millions of people who are suffering... and as the agencies are overstretched and under-funded, they are appealing for more help from the international community.

The U.N. Children's Fund estimates more than two million young children from the Horn of Africa are malnourished, and in need of urgent life-saving actions. It says half a million of those children are facing imminent life-threatening conditions... and warns that many of the children may be left with long-lasting physical and mental problems.

Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) teams are fully stretched in various locations inside Somalia, as well as assisting exhausted refugees crossing Somalia's borders into Ethiopia and Kenya.

According to World Vision... Risks of the outbreak of disease are growing, and people's access to food and water is in jeopardy. Children are among those most vulnerable in the worst hit countries of Ethiopia, Kenya, and Somalia.

Save the Children has advised that more than a quarter of children in the worst-hit parts of Kenya are now dangerously malnourished... and in Somalia, malnutrition rates have reached 30 percent in some areas, making the Horn of Africa one of the hungriest places on earth.

Save the Children has already launched a major humanitarian response in Kenya, Somalia and Ethiopia... feeding tens of thousands of underweight children; providing life-saving medical treatment; and getting clean water to remote communities. But with the situation worsening by the day - and no more rain due till late September - Save the Children urgently needs money to dramatically ramp up its response.
According to Matt Croucher, Save the Children's regional emergency manager for East Africa... "Thousands of children could starve if we don't get life-saving help to them fast"... "Parents no longer have any way to feed their children; they've lost their animals; their wells have dried up; and food is too expensive to afford"... "We can stop this tragedy unfolding, but we only have half the money we need. We urgently need to raise the rest so we can save more children's lives."

My deepest sympathies to everyone suffering in Somalia. I think this should be in another part of the forum, just so more people can see it.

It's easy to forget how hard life is in other parts of the world when you can just go to the fridge and get something to eat.

RS1346

Human Concern International is a very good and honest Islamic charity:

Human Concern International

They have done amazing work and I would recommend them to anyone interested in donating to or working with an Islamic charity or just a charity in general.